Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #1  
Losing member!

S/C/G: 360/360/200

Height: 6'

Default Starting the process

My PCP has suggested I look into WLS for quite some time. My last appointment, it hit home to seriously look into the options available.

I waiver from LB and RNY. My question is do I continue researching on my own or do I look for a physician and get more information from them? I have not explored insurance, but that is not a driving force in my decision. I have a super supportive husband and my job allows me summers off.

Any feedback or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
txestella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

you can find alot of information prior to seeing your surgeon, but they will have a ton of good information as well. I chose the RNY cause i was over 300 pounds, and I did not want to mess with monthly fills, and getting your fills right and all that jazz. it is really a personal choice as to what works best for your life and needs. i researched and researched. then went to my surgeon and discussed the options before i settled on the rny tho.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #3  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

I'm currently in the same boat as you are, txestella. I keep going back and forth between the various surgeries, and keep reading and researching on my time off. It's pretty overwhelming.

My hospital has this seminar thing for WLS patients once a month, but the next one isn't til March (ugh). I'd say just get in contact with the hospital bariatric center and tell them that you're not sure if you want to do it but you want more info. They sent me an info booklet and info about the seminar, so maybe yours will have that kind of help too.
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

There is more to WLS than the band or RNY. I highly recommend you also research the VSG and DS so you are making a fully informed decision. I also recommend doing LOTS of research yourself before talking to a surgeon because most surgeons will only tell you about they ones they perform and may even provide inaccurate, negative information about the ones they don't.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #5  
Losing member!

S/C/G: 360/360/200

I am not sure if I am heavy enough for the VSG...or light enough, based on what I have been reading on that procedure. I may be off base, but it appears it is used if you have little to lose or a ton as a starting procedure. DS is something I am not interested in.

The surgeons that do a lot of advertising sorta turn me off, is that an odd way of thinking?
txestella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

If your current weight is 360 (as it says under your avatar - not sure if that's current), the DS will give you the best statistical chance of success (assuming you're not extremely tall ad that puts with a BMI of 50+). The VSG has weight loss stats right on par with the RNY for those with a BMI of about 45 or less, but for those with a BMI of 50+, the VSG is sometimes not enough. The band has the worst stats of the currently available procedures. Nothing is perfect, but I chose the DS based on having the best long-term stats of any of the procedures. If the DS weren't an option (and if I didn't have type 2 diabetes), I would have gotten the VSG. Finances aside, I could never find a reason to choose the RNY when the DS and VSG were available (I've never had any problems with acid reflux/GERD).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #7  
Lose the Excuses!

S/C/G: 297/293/145

Height: 5'8"

why are you so opposed to DS? I'm just curious.
jgray321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #8  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

I think you really need to continue doing your research and attending meetings when possible. If you are really serious about having a procedure you should consult more than one surgeon. It is a tough decision because as many of the other members described there are several procedures. You have to be able to live with your decision. Well wishes, my fellow Texan.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I did a lot of research on my own, too. But it seems like for every plus, you find a minus. I am very fortunate that there are two major hospitals in my area that offer bariatric programs. Both have informational seminars.

No matter what you choose, the support system of the program is the most important. Both of the systems here offer fabulous long-term support.

I also have been working with my therapist for months to get to a point where we both feel I am ready for the emotional side. She is very well informed about the process which is proving to be very beneficial, also.

This is a life altering choice. Make sure you thoroughly investigate all your options!! Good luck!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 368/265/220

I started out at 368 and had an RNY lost down to 247 and then went up about 25 lbs and there I have been for 8 years. Granted old eating habits came back after 8 months post op. Now I can eat pretty much anything I want just not in huge quantities. I have also never been able to stick with exercise regularly. While I have had some success with the RNY I know I could have done better if I stayed committed to diet n exercise. I think a DS would have been better but 8 years ago the surgeon I chose only did Open RNYs. I dont think I would have done as good with a LB.
justrosieinsa is offline   Reply With Quote