Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Default Eating out with friends?

Today I was supposed to have lunch with a friend. She told me she was craving chinese.. so we made plans to eat that. I've been dreading it since then.. worrying about what I would eat, how long I would need to workout to burn the calories, wishing that we could eat somewhere healthier, etc.

I ended up not being able to go because my car is messed up. I feel bad because I was actually kind of happy that I couldnt... it's not that I didn't want to have lunch with her, I was just worried b/c I've been working so hard to stay OP and I didnt want that to ruin it.

We rescheduled for next week. My question is... how do you all handle situations like this? Do you just make suggestions? I'm very much a people pleaser, so I guess that's part of why it's hard for me to say I want something else.

sigh.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #2  
2010 is the year for me

Hi, i`m very much like you, i tend to go along with what other people like, but when a night out happens (doesnt very often) i do a little research online to find out what has the least calories, if its chinese i tend to go for chicken noodle soup and chow mein, hope that helps a little
dinmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you want to eat out then you figure out how to eat out

Like chinese is one of the easy ones, steamed veggies, brown rice.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  

My always out for lunch is just to suggest that I want someplace with some lighter options so that I don't fall asleep at work afterwards. Seems to make it less about me forcing my diet on them as it is about needing to continue to function after lunch.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #5  

Yeah.. that's what I was thinking.. veggies or rice or something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomcards View Post
My always out for lunch is just to suggest that I want someplace with some lighter options so that I don't fall asleep at work afterwards. Seems to make it less about me forcing my diet on them as it is about needing to continue to function after lunch.
Good idea!!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #6  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Tell your friend about your efforts and how important it is to you to stay on point. Then suggest other places you can go that offer healthier menu items. Also, when you order be sure to ask how the meal is prepared & if necessary ask for alterations to make it fit your needs. I've gone to several places and never had a problem (that I know of).
One place in particular is Chili's. I can order the grilled chicken with no oil or salt used to season with the steamed veggies and a salad (dressing on the side) and have them "box up" half of it to eat later. Ask for a small dessert plate and make sure you don't eat more than what can easily fit on that.
Whatever you do...AVOID buffets or all you can eat places.
I'm sure your friend will understand and be very supportive.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

My mom likes to say that a meal with a friend or with family is about enjoying that person's company and not about over-eating.

Veggies and rice is good - be careful, sometimes they drown the veggies in butter and oil.

Broth based soups are good.

Or order what ever you want and only eat 1/4 to 1/3 of it and box (or just throw away) the rest.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

When my husband and I go out to eat, I LOVE it when he just really wants Chinese. There's a buffet we go to that inevitably has a bunch of veggies and even some non-breaded and non-fried chicken dishes available.

The only downside is that I'm STARVING about an hour afterward.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I dine out frequently, because I love the social aspects of it. I would just find some places that have a grilled chicken option on the menu or look up some nutritional information online for the chain restaurants. I've actually found that I can dine out ALMOST anywhere and do pretty well healthwise. I stick to lean proteins, blot away any excess grease with napkins, avoid the bread, order steamed veggies, fruit or a plain baked potato as a side. Get a salad without cheese and with low-fat dressing on the side. You can surely find some places with healthy options for you and a whole menu of the "bad stuff" if that's what your friend is wanting. You can even be subtle about it if you like. I try not to "impose" my health kick on others, but I've found that I can be discreet about it and still stay on plan, AND still enjoy dining out. I've dined out every single week during my weight loss journey, and I have no intentions to stop now. I just dine out smarter, that's all.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/151/118

Height: 5'7

There are many things you can order at a chinese restaurant that are healthy (sodium, aside). Most of the soups are good choices, steamed vegetable dumplings, steamed chicken, tofu or shrimp with veggies, brown rice. If you're not worried about sodium you can add some flavor with spicy chinese mustard or soy sauce
AutumnSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #11  

Great ideas! I thought about the sodium thing too.. figured I mine as well just drink as much water as I can because the sodium is probably gonna be pretty ridiculous. I feel a little better about eating out next week though! Thanks yall :]
Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #12  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I have eaten out a few times with friends. Pizza, chinese, fast food, Italian, etc. I've still lost 1-2lbs every single week I just keep portion sizes in moderation, try to choose the healthiest things, and eat light for the rest of the day. Most of all, I don't fret about it too much. As long as it's a once in awhile treat, and it's respected as such, it's not going to hurt you in the long run.

A couple weeks ago, my best friend's birthday dinner was at a local pizza joint. I enjoyed 2 pieces of pizza and a piece of cheesy bread. My weigh in was the next day, and I was down 1.5lbs The old me would have had like 5 pieces of pizza and my own order of cheesy bread. I kept it in moderation, but still allowed myself to splurge a bit guilt free.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #13  

mkendrick, i wish i had your strength! I used to be able to eat like that.. in moderation.. when I started losing weight. It seems like the more I lose, the harder it is for me to keep my portions in control. Whether I lose or dont lose is directly related to what I eat, so I stress about it a lot. But I know I need to just live life sometimes and enjoy time out rather than stressing!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #14  

Height: 5'9

My husband LOVES chinese food. I almost always get Egg Drop Soup- lots of protein, relatively few calories.
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I just don't eat if there's nothing there that's worth the calories. I order coffee. If it's a big crowd of people, they likely don't even notice, and if they ask, I say something vague, like "I don't feel well" or "I have plans later" and then I always end with "I'm here for the company". If it's just me and a friend, they are probably a close enough friend that I can say "I can't break my diet, but I'd love to sit and drink coffee and chat".

The first few times you do this it feels really, really weird, but once you and your social circle get used to the idea that you don't always eat, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Just don't draw attention to it--don't complain, don't explain (unless asked, and then keep it brief) and don't engage anyone if they try to talk you into eating. Just keep saying "No, I'm fine" and change the subject.

If I want to eat (I am hungry) and I don't know the nutritional value of anything, I order soup. It's a rare chicken tortilla or corn chowder or lentil soup that has over 400 calories.

Dieting is hard. Indulgences should be for their own sake, not for someone else.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote