General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'8

Default To Buy or Not to Buy

I have been considering buying an outfit that I really want to wear when i get down to my goal weight. For me it would be a vintage dress from the 1940's. I just love the era. I think this would really provide motivation for me, seeing it every day in the closet and trying it on and physically seeing and feeling myself become closer to my goal. Have any of you guys done this and does it truly help in providing motivation? If so, what did you guys buy?! Wearing actual fashionable clothing is one of the biggest things I am excited for when all this horrendous weight is gone! I know teh plus size stores are getting better in the clothes department but they still aren't as fun as the clothing for all the dang skinny people.
farn00a57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #2  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I wouldn't spend too much on it. I bought something at a consignment store that I thought would be a great motivational outfit and the more I look at it, the less I think I like it! Fortunately it didn't cost much. Your shape when you get to goal may not be exactly like you think it will be.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'd also try not to spend too much on a piece that doesn't fit. The main issue, for me, is that people who are really overweight and have been for a long time really don't *know* what their goal body will look like or how garments will fit it. If you were a normal weight fairly recently, it might be easier to figure out what styles will work, but if not, you may not know how your proportions will be or how something will fit. I'd hate to spend a lot of money on something fit-sensitive (like a dress) and not have it work for my body at goal, you know?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

Design the dress, sketch it out, even go so far as to color it, then hang it where you see it every day. For me I want some Ren Faire stuff so I have pictures of what I want on my computer. I haven't spent the money yet and won't until October when Ren is in town.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

If you have the money, and you're using it as a motivation tool then I say go for it! If looking at the dress will help you stay on plan, then it is well worth the investment.

Even if you don't still love it when you reach your goal, it could be a useful tool in your weight loss.

PS: Have a link to the one you have your eye on?
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You really have to know your own personality and situation. On principe (a principle I'm considering changing a bit) I don't buy too-small clothing for "motivation," for a couple reasons:

1. My budget is too small to spend on clothing that doesn't fit now. Having nothing appropriate to wear except an outfit that doesn't fit, is the opposite of motivating for me.

2. Looking at the piece of clothing which doesn't fit now, also not motivating.

3. I'm likely to forget about the piece of clothing, so I'm neither being motivated by it, nor likely to try it on when it finally might fit. Trying on the too-tight perfect outfit when it's now too loose, or doesn't fit the way I thought it would, also rather un-motivating.

If money were no object, I might feel differently. So I really only buy clothing that fits now.

I did make an exception recently this past fall for a pair of jeans at Goodwill that looked great on the hanger, and almost fit. I got them over my hips, but couldn't button or zip them. With the long blouse I was wearing, I could tell that the jeans would look good and fit properly with not too many more pounds lost. Because they were only a few dollars, I felt they were worth taking a gamble on.

I tried them on for the first time a week or two ago and they fit perfectly. I was shocked because I really thought they wouldn't fit for another 15 lbs at least.

It was exciting enough that I wanted another pair of motivational jeans, I found them a couple days ago (I spent a whopping $3.25). They're a denim with some stretch in the weave. They fit now, and are even comfortable, just not attractively enough to wear in public until they're a little looser in the thigh and knees.

For me, I guess to be motivational, the outfit has to be within very close reach or it becomes demotivating
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #7  
Bodacious Babe

S/C/G: 259/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Ok, so I was in Macy's at Christmas and saw the BEST little black mini....it's like super slinky and super SMALL....I know it will be a while till I can fit into it.. but...I WILL FIT INTO IT!!!!
I have it HANGING on my wall....it's gorgeous... and I hung it on my wall to REMIND me EVERYDAY of my GOAL.... I want to wear that dress sooo bad... it motivates me....I see it when I wake in the morning... and I see it when I go to sleep at night.... I say GO FOR IT!!! I did...
GiddyupKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #8  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

guess it depends on you- if i saw something small that i wanted to wear someday hanging where i could see it every day- i think i'd lose all motivation, cry, and give up. lol.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'8

thanks all! I think I am going to wait for now on the dress buying. I think maybe when I get closer to my goal weight, I will again consider buying a dress I hope to wear. I agree that it is just to difficult to know what my body will look like and I don't want to end up wasting money. It would be depressing in the end if the dress I desired to wear for so long didn't even fit appropriately! thank you for your help!
~Ashley
farn00a57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

The thing about vintage clothing is that they were made for women who are much smaller than normal women today. They also wore girdles to make them appear very small waisted. So keep that in mind. I used to love to buy vintage things, but I just don't do it anymore. I'll probably never fit into them even when I get to goal. Of course, I'm 47 and the old skin doesn't bounce back like it used to.

I think the idea to collect pics of what you have in mind or even design it is a great one. There are lots of seamstresses out there who can work magic!!

Good luck!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote