Old 02-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Default Stress,worry and Depression

Have ya'll noticed Stress,worry and Depression playing a role in elevated BS's?
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/195/135

Height: 5'5

I haven't noticed it personally, but do know that it happens.

When you're stressed, your adrenal glands release epinephrine and cortisol into your bloodstream. These hormones essentially cause your cells to release stored glucose, which makes your BS levels go up.

I've always thought it was interesting how one thing, even if it seems really insubstantial, can influence multiple things within your body. I am pretty weird, though... guess that's why I'm a nursing student.

Slightly off topic (sorry!), but the coolest thing I've learned about stress and the release of epinephrine is that the most efficient way for your body to get rid of the excess is through tears. Totally explains why it's common for you to cry for little or no reason when you've been really stressed out.

Last edited by lychee; 02-07-2010 at 09:33 PM.
lychee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am sure the stress of the last year played a big role in my developing my pre-diabetic condition. My parents have been ill, my dad with lifethreatening illness, and I was left as main caregiver and decision maker, as well as main breadwinner for my family and owner/manager of a growing business. In addition to the stress, I let my diet go to pot, ate too much comfort food and virtually stopped exercising and meditating. I didn't take care of me at all.
The whole thing conspired to get me where I am today!. I didn't manage the stress well, and I think its how we manage that stress that will affect us in the long run. Good luck butter, hope things get better
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 258/236/175

Yes, I've noticed that stress can increase my blood glucose levels. That can be good stress such as an invigorating bike ride, as well as a bad stress things such as a fight with my partner.
doggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I am doing some independent testing (already ranted about lack of medical support for pre-diabetes on another thread) and I was really surprised this morning, I took my blood sugar before and after my run and it was elevated after.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #6  
Madeleine

Default high sugars after exercise

ennay: I posted about this recently....according to my diabetes for dummies book, this is common, and is a result of a good work out. The liver releases glycogen and raises the blood glucose to feed the working muscles. SO there will be a temporary high sugar. THe good news is that the exercise also reduces the cell resistance and will allow the sugar into the cells for recovery. So don't worry about the post-workout high sugars.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #7  
Woman on mission!

Lychee,
I am worried sick about several things and super stressed to the point I feel like a rubber band stretched as far as it can be stretched.I realize if I remain calm,it will help prevent my Body from releasing more Glucose,Adrenalin and Cortisol,but I cannot change my current circumstances.Also,I have a Sinus Infection or Head Cold that isn't helping my BS,and it is another Week before I can see my "Dippy Doctor".Yes,Tears help,but so does Exercise that gets Endorphins pumping.I can't find the motivation to get off my Butter_Butt and get moving!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #8  
Woman on mission!

Fatmad,
We had different,yet similiar circumstances.I watched my late Father,the remaining immediate Family I had struggle for each breath he took due to CHF.I was scared,but felt helpless because I couldn't make it better.I had ZERO choice but to contend with his Sister and a Sister in-law,which was PURE H*LL from the time of his death until 18 Day's shy of the first Year of his death.I was Housebound Agoraphobic at this time,and they stole from my Father's Estate and got away with it!Seven Month's after all this cr*p,I learned I'm Diabetic.I read from a Metaphysical viewpoint,Diabetes is longing for what might of been and no sweetness left in life.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #9  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_Butt View Post
Fatmad,
We had different,yet similiar circumstances.I watched my late Father,the remaining immediate Family I had struggle for each breath he took due to CHF.I was scared,but felt helpless because I couldn't make it better.I had ZERO choice but to contend with his Sister and a Sister in-law,which was PURE H*LL from the time of his death until 18 Day's shy of the first Year of his death.I was Housebound Agoraphobic at this time,and they stole from my Father's Estate and got away with it!Seven Month's after all this cr*p,I learned I'm Diabetic.I read from a Metaphysical viewpoint,Diabetes is longing for what might of been and no sweetness left in life.
I have no real idea what it is like to live with agoraphobia, and can only sympathize. If your doc is the same one who was treating you for that, surely s/he would be more sympathetic to you in general and be understanding that you are sensitive. I'm sorry you haven't found someone you can work with on your diabetes.
What stress reduction techniques do you think you could do? I really enjoy yoga, but its not for everyone. I don't really settle to pure meditation but can do it with my yoga, but some really like a sitting meditation, or prayer meditation if you a religious person.
An exercise regime helps with stress, but as you say, you have to get out there and do it, and I have been bad for that. You may notice I keep posting about what I'm doing for exercise, because that is my challenge. I am horribly lazy, a real couch potato, and have trouble motivating myself too.
I am not a commercial, but I did find initially joining curves was great. I got into the habit of exercising, tho I quit after a year, it did finally get me out.
Most of the women there were out of shape, I liked the all womens set up, and the support. I was 30 minutes and done. It may not be the "best" workout, but if you haven't been doing much, its a great way to get started, and something is better than nothing. They also called me if I missed more than a week.
An exercise buddy, even just someone to walk with, (including a dog) is another option that you may like. I used to walk my neighbour's dog when I didn't have my own.
Good luck butter, get of the couch now.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #10  
Woman on mission!

Fatmad,
"I have no real idea what it is like to live with agoraphobia, and can only sympathize."You do NOT want to know what it is like living with Agoraphobia!It is AWFUL!!!

I didn't have a Physician whilst Housebound Agoraphobic.Couldn't get to a Doctor,and a Doctor wouldn't come to me!I HAD to get out (renew Driver's License).May 30th this Year will mark my 2nd Anniversary of being Agoraphobia free.

I found a Physician whose speciality is Diabetes,but after my "dippy Doctor" made fun of him (disguised his voice to sound Foreign),I cancelled my Appointment.

Never tried Yoga,but if I turned off the ringers to the Phones and refused to answer the Door,I think meditating would prove beneficial.Also,if I had a Bathtub with my Shower,I could soak in Lavender and various calming Aromatherapy Oils.

Regarding Exercise..I've decided to start using my Leslie Sansone Walk-Away the Pounds Work-Outs again.After I lose 20-25-30 lbs and work with endurance,I'm going to join a Fitness Center.I will need all the support I can get,because I've never worked out at a Fitness Center or Gym.

I'm not lazy by far,motivation is challenging,but hopefully after personal circumstances change,it will be better.I spoke with the Owner/Manager of Curves in my Area,and she suggested I use Leslie Sansone before joining.I have regained Weight,so need to get it off first.She told me the Curves Equipment goes up to 400 lbs.I don't weigh 400 +,but if I don't get hold of myself,I will end up there again.

When I learned I was Diabetic,I called 9 Women in Town and asked if they would walk with me.Not one single Woman wanted to be my Walking buddy.Pathetic!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/187.2/160

Height: 5'8"

I personally see my BS level elevate with stress. But my life is stressful 24/7 due to the types of foster kids I take in .. I have found that volunteering in any way helps reduce my stress. I foster sick and orphaned cats and kittens .. just holding them reduces my stress level =) But thats me. If your able to get out you could volunteer at the local animal shelter walking dogs .. they make excellent walking buddies. I also volunteer at the Royal Botanical Gardens and garden year round =) Its fun to dig in the dirt and chat with the other volunteers. Just getting out and doing something .. anything can reduce your depression .. anxiety and stress level.
If we lived in the same community I would walk with you =)
I attend Curves and I enjoy the work out .. its not hard but the support is wonderful. They also offer a free diet group in my community. I live in Burlington Ontario .. if you do live in the area send me an email =)
Laura

Last edited by peatpod; 02-21-2010 at 09:21 PM.
peatpod is offline   Reply With Quote