Old 02-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #1  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Default Accountability for Starting Over

I have read that a number of us are getting back on the wagon and back on this journey. I know I want some extra accountability and some people to talk to. I know Ill need help (and Ill want to give help). Ill want someone to tell when I am on the right track. So, lets do it. Jump on it. We can do this together. Tell us a little about yourself and how you are doing.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #2  
waisting away

I am a student at UF. I am majoring in Chemical engineering with a minor in biomolecular engineering. That being said, I study all the time. Yesterday was my first day of a healthy diet and exercise. I am starting off around 1300 calories of mainly veggies and protein. I also started the 30 day shred. Spring break is 30 days from yesterday, so that is extra motivation to keep up the shred. I am also going to run, bike and swim when possible. Today I was down 1.2lbs!

How you are all doing? We can do this together.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/130/115

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I would LOVE some extra accountability. My name is Jen and I'm 27 years old. I live in NYC with my husband and 2 cats. My goal is to lose 25lb by May when I will be a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding. I'm not really sure if this feasible, but I'm setting my goal at 2lb/week. I am 6 days into this endeavor and it's going ok. I'm nervous about my weigh-in tomorrow because I have been on my period this week, so who knows how that will affect things. I am doing the ediets meal delivery and am eating 1200 cal/day. I'm also using my bodybugg with a goal of burning 2200 cal/day. Reaching 2200 has actually been a lot harder than I thought. My work-outs mainly consist of the elliptical and walking on a steep incline or jogging on the treadmill. The way I get myself to the gym is by downloading episodes of the The Biggest Loser onto my iphone and only allowing myself to watch when I'm working out. (I'm currently watching season 3.)

I guess the big thing I'm struggling with is how to maintain a social life while losing weight. For example, I'm having dinner with 2 girlfriends tomorrow night and I'm already nervous about what I'm going to eat (and for some reason I don't want to tell anyone beside by husband that I'm trying to do this. I guess I feel embarassed!).

I'm also wondering if anyone is interested in buddying up? I love the idea of emailing once a day to check in on each other. I think that would be a huge motivator for me and make this less of a lonely experience.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by JenB; 03-07-2010 at 11:13 AM.
JenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm not exactly getting back on the wagon (at least not on here), but I'm up for support/accountability.

I'm 23, still working on my last two years of my undergrad degree in Biochem and Anthropology. The original plan was to go to med school after, but I've decided to go to grad school before making that decision. I'm living in Southern California with my family still--which makes changing eating habits hard since my mom pretty much refuses to change how she eats even though she's considerably overweight as well. But, nevertheless, I still started "dieting" on the first and have already started to lose weight, even without having started exercising yet. I'd like to be working out 5 days a week by the time March rolls around. No gym, just walking and things I can do at home.
megphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #5  
On the way down!

S/C/G: 226/ticker/150

Height: 5'10.75

I would like some accountability as well.
I'm Alissa, 21, and a student athlete at the University of Alabama. I am currently a junior studying marketing with aspirations of lawschool. I have been overweight pretty much for forever despite being active. We practice around 20 hours a week so my nutrition must be just awful.lol. I've been fairly successful in weightloss but lately have jumped up a little and I'd like to nip this at 5 ish lbs before I totally blow it.lol. Anyways, my plan is to basically stick to a 3 meal a day plan with one snack. This has worked in the past. I want to incorporate more veggies and lean protein into my diet. I also have a goal of 4 lbs a month, that I've decided on today. I hope I make it this month, though I'm a week in. Oh well, can do this.
redliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #6  
small steps

S/C/G: 209/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'1 & 3/4

I would like to join you all as well.

I read your other post and your story sounds just like mine. I've done the yo-yo thing one time too many and I'm ready to finally reach my goal. I registered for this site a while ago now and I've always had great success while actually posting and reading things here. I don't know why I stop. This time I'm not going to stop and I'm taking solace from the fact that I caught myself before actually gaining back all the weight I had lost.

I'm 26 and currently working in the Washington, DC area. I've been overweight/obese pretty much since elementary school. I want to find out what it's like to live life at a normal weight and I figure I've let myself wait long enough. I plan on continuing my yoga practice every day and jogging first one day per week and trying to make it up to three times per week. I'm also cutting out refined sugar from my diet and eating three meals a day. My goal is to lose two pounds per week until I reach my goal.
wrdfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #7  
waisting away

JenB- That is such great motivation! I just recently started watching the Biggest Loser and does the trick. I truely feel like I can do it after I watch an episode. Although, I must say that when some of those people make the 'game' a higher priority than weightloss it is a shame. As for tomorrows weigh in, don't sweat it. As long as you are on plan, then even if this weigh in is a little higher, it will even out in the end. You may just see bigger loss next week. Just don't let it discourage you if your numbers aren't the best this week (and celebrate if they are!).

Meg- Family is an issue for my weight loss as well. There are a couple different reasons that they are, but you can't let that stop you. If you just make good decisions in portion control and healty swaps and try to exercise then you will do fine in the long run. It is a slow and difficult process, but starting is the first step. Maybe your mom will join in once see sees how well you can do.

Red- I have just started adding more fruits, veggies and proteins. I have tried to find some new ways to make them great. One recipe that is amazing is below. It is great! You can make a bunch and reheat it. It makes a good choice when you want a snack.
Chop about 3 zuccini. Place them in a deep pan on medium heat. Pour in a can of diced or stewed tomatos undrained. Add any more veggies you would like (peas, corn, squash, etc.). Use enough heat for the fluid to bubble a little. Cook until tender. Add another can of tomatos or some water if there is not much fluid.
It has a great flavor. Sometimes I use tomatoes with green chilies to make it a little spicier. This is a great side, or throw is on some chicken. Youll love it (hopefully). You can use frozen veggies, but beware they have extra water. You can always thaw them a little in the microwave too.

I know we can do this together. Have a great day!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #8  
waisting away

wrd- Welcome! We aren't going to yo yo anymore. We can do it this time. We will ALL make our goals.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #9  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

Extra accountability is always good! I'm starting over too.

My husband deployed this year, and I decided it was the perfect time to lose the weight. Somehow, the first half of the deployment has come and gone and I'm 10 pounds heavier, instead of 30 lbs down like I wanted to be. So I'm giving it another shot. This time I am focusing on smaller goals. I have daily goals (today is not snacking while reading, one of my biggest issues). It's not "no snacking while reading ever again", just not today. And maybe if I can do it today, I can do it tomorrow. My goal for the week is to exercise 30 minutes for 5 days. Again, not necessarily forever, just this week. I get too caught up in thinking about how I'm going to have to do this for MONTHS, and forget about the smaller picture. So I'm refocusing. I ordered my week's meals through Bistro MD, and I'm hoping that will help control my eating.

Good luck to all of you! We can do this.
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #10  

gatorgirl6: Thanks for the encouragement!!! I'm sure you're going to do great too. It sounds like you're interested in lots of various sports/activities which is wonderful. I know what you mean about "studying all the time." There's the issue of finding time to exercise, but I'm also a terrible snacker when I'm studying! It sounds like you've got it figured out though with your plan to stick to veggies and protein. Good luck!

Megphilly: Congratulations on your weight loss already! That's amazing! It sounds really tough to change your eating habits when you're living with family who don't want to change, but it sounds like you've got something figured out! Good for you!

redliss7: That's so awesome that you're a student athlete! It sounds like you have the fitness thing down and know what you're doing diet-wise. Are you counting calories? (I find counting calories to be the hardest thing in the world because I'm terrible at estimating portion sizes and ingredients in restaurant food.) Anyway, I'm sure school must be busy for you these days. Are you taking the LSAT's?

wrdfrog: Hi! Congratulations on your previous weight loss! Any tips/advice on how you did it? And are you snowed in D.C.? The pictures from there look amazing!

I'm so glad to meet you all! It's really great to be in touch with other girls my age going through the exact same thing. I know that if we keep pushing and support each other we can be successful at this!

Is anyone watching the superbowl? I am finding the snacking urge really difficult to resist. I always associate the superbowl with great commercials and really fatty/salty snacks!

Last edited by JenB; 03-07-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I'm 26, back a school to get a B.A. after (already have my first in sociology, but am back nearly 5 years later to get a second degree in psychology) then hopefully of to grad school.

I work part time and volunteer part time and hardly have time of anything it seems. I'm also helping my good friend plan her wedding, but we're in separate countries (I'm in Canada she's in San Francisco) while planning a bridal shower for yet a third location, Vancouver. My motivation is to look great at her wedding. It's going to be an uber lavish white tie affair and I just wanna look HOT. Plus, my bf and I are planning a 4 night backpacking trip this summer and I don't want to be carrying a 60lbs pack and an extra 30 lbs on me.

I'm watching what I eat and trying to go to yoga and the gym as much as I can. It's hard but I'm slowly doing it.....
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #12  

Oh and s rosa! Yay I'm so glad you're on here too. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's deployment. Has it been really rough? How is he doing? I know what you mean about focusing on smaller goals. Sometimes I just get totally overwhelmed by the big picture and all the weeks and months I have ahead of me.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #13  

shantroy, I am all for looking hot at my brother's upcoming wedding too! When is your friend's? I can't believe how many things you have going on in your life. Good for you for being able to handle it all and lose weight on top of it!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #14  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenB View Post
Oh and s rosa! Yay I'm so glad you're on here too. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's deployment. Has it been really rough? How is he doing? I know what you mean about focusing on smaller goals. Sometimes I just get totally overwhelmed by the big picture and all the weeks and months I have ahead of me.
It hasn't been too bad. I'm *almost* done with my BA in business admin so that really seems to make the time fly, lol. He's good, we just had R&R and it was like a second honeymoon I'm determined to knock his socks off for homecoming. The big picture is DEFIINITELY overwhelming. It really takes all the fight out of me just thinking about it, so I'm just focusing on this week. I'll worry about next week...next week. Hoping this works

I'm watching the superbowl too! It's sort of weird, but I'm not snacking by playing with my dog. It keeps my hands busy and her happy

I hardly ever tell anybody when I'm trying to lose weight either. It's embarrassing when they ask how I'm doing and I've gained, etc etc.

We can be email buddies if you want!
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #15  

Yay! I'd love it! I don't know how to private message on here to send you my email address. Do you?