Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

Default Carb Addiction

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has or knows about carb addiction. I got this book written by two dr's. There is a test in the book and I scored as high as you can. I have every sympton of this malady and when I go to weight in tomorrow I am going to tell my councelour about the book and the test score and see if they can do something for me.. I am having a really hard time with this and I am totally fixated on it.. So if anyone has any info they would like to share with me I am all ears ( monitor). I just started the book last night and it is really interesting. Just like alcohol or drugs or anything else.. It seems to be a disease or at least a viable thing..

Thanks!

Ronnie

I doubt they can sell me something to take care of it, but then who knows..
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/150/155

Height: 5'6.5"

Ronnie Ad, I have heard of Carb addiction, but I'm not aware of the facts. Sounds like something I too should check out because carbs are always my downfall and what I crave. What is the name of the book? Does the book give you ideas on how to control the addiction? You are so close to your goal. You can do this.
Roadqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #3  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

of course we want carbs -- that is why we are overweight, but addiction? That is why we joined MRC, to deal with this. MRC is low carbs, low sodium, no sugars, high protein -- teaching us a healthier way to eat. Addiction just seems like a modern buzz word we use for everything we want that we shouldn't really have! It also sounds like a word that leaves us helpless to make changes, and we are surely not helpless. Unless, of course you convince yourself that you are helpless.

Last edited by Joy2MeNu; 02-05-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm not familiar with the book.

But maybe it is related to insulin resistance?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieAdl View Post
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has or knows about carb addiction. I got this book written by two dr's. There is a test in the book and I scored as high as you can. I have every sympton of this malady and when I go to weight in tomorrow I am going to tell my councelour about the book and the test score and see if they can do something for me.. I am having a really hard time with this and I am totally fixated on it.. So if anyone has any info they would like to share with me I am all ears ( monitor). I just started the book last night and it is really interesting. Just like alcohol or drugs or anything else.. It seems to be a disease or at least a viable thing..
This blog article has a great discussion of what might be called "carb addiction" and what can be done about it.

Although it would be nice if the medical community could figure out better how to help us, I do think it is up to us as individuals to understand what's going on with food and "just say no" to certain foods that are bad for us yet leave us craving more.

I read what all the successful maintainers have said, and almost to a person they say "cut out the cr*p". I think that's what the article says, I would love to hear anyone's opionions.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #6  

The book is called the Carb Addicts Diet by Robert and Rachael Heller.. It is very interesting.. They do note in the book that if you do not have a problem with carbs this diet will not help you.. One of the councelors I sat with today told me she is also addicted to carbs. The was pretty honest with me about her problem. It is a real problem just as alcololism or drug addiction. Thanks to all for the input!

Ronnie
Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
I'm not familiar with the book.

But maybe it is related to insulin resistance?

A.
You are right, it has quite a bit to do with insulin resistance..

Ronnie
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2MeNu View Post
of course we want carbs -- that is why we are overweight, but addiction? That is why we joined MRC, to deal with this. MRC is low carbs, low sodium, no sugars, high protein -- teaching us a healthier way to eat. Addiction just seems like a modern buzz word we use for everything we want that we shouldn't really have! It also sounds like a word that leaves us helpless to make changes, and we are surely not helpless. Unless, of course you convince yourself that you are helpless.
No we are not helpless that is for sure, unless we want to be..

Ronnie
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #9  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
This blog article has a great discussion of what might be called "carb addiction" and what can be done about it.
Good Article - Here is a quote from it:

"If you even briefly entertain the possibility of indulging, you create a state of ambivalence that leads to torment, obsession and cravings. However, when you successfully divert your attention to another rewarding activity you have made a small step toward cooling down the positive valence of the food.

"It is the state of mental torment and ambivalence that increases the positive emotional charge of a food, building and strengthening the neural reward circuitry that causes conditioned overeating. This may be one of the reasons dieting almost always results in long-term weight gain, since constant deprivation makes hyperpalatable foods more difficult to resist and creates severe anxiety.

"Mentally, the best strategy to overcome conditioned hypereating is to develop new, positive associations with food that are independent of palatability–something you care more about than the fleeting reward of overeating."

This is what we are doing at MRC. We are eating from our menus and not even considering the things we used to indulge in (because they are not on our menu), until we get to a 'breaking point' , a special occasion or close to reaching our goal. Then we have to deal with wanting these foods we have been deprived of for so long. If we indulge once, it is so easy to indulge again. It is almost easier to just stay on the menu but that is not practical - we need to learn how to make healthy decisions and not go overboard. That is why MRC offers the year Maintenance I guess - to help us really relearn how to eat. I'm working at it - keep going off the deep end, get back up and go beck to the basics of my menus and start again trying to eat sensibly.
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote