South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Getting your veggies in

I've been reading the thread on the amount of veggies per day. One thing that helps me get all my veggies in is to make sure I have three different kinds of veggies each day. If I am slicing up one red pepper for snack, I may as well slice 2, and eating 2 cups of greens is just as easy as eating one. My struggle is making sure I have enough variety of veggies in the house, but since I can hit a veggie stand on the way home if I go a certain way, it hasn't been that difficult.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #2  
Be happy.

Mmmm.... red peppers! That's my big splurge when I shop now. They're so good with hummus.

I love fresh veggies, but I eat mainly frozen during the winter. We freeze lots of tomatoes, squash, eggplant and other odds and ends from our garden and supplement them with grocery store frozen veggies.

I love all the 'medleys' and 'mixes'. Not only do they taste great but they look awesome on my plate and make it easy to eat my 2 cups/meal.

My current favorite is Birds Eye Normandy Blend.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

One of my tricks for making sure I get all my veggies in each day is to add extra veggies to whatever I'm making. If I'm making Taco Bake, I'll add shredded carrots, spinach and zucchini in along with the mushrooms. To spaghetti sauce, I like to add broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini and peppers; and when I make chili, I'll cram it full of any vegetables I have on hand.
I like to roast a big pan of vegetables and keep them on hand for adding to salads, soups and pizza.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 02-03-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

Okay - I am going to let you inspire me and I will work harder on eating more veggies. I do okay at most lunch and dinner but need to add them for snacks I think. Breakfast is too hard since I am not eating eggs.

BTW - Our Costco has very inexpensive 6-packs of colored peppers. Just a bit more than what I'd pay for full-price red ones at the grocery store.

And I was amazed at how the mushrooms vanished in the taco bake. I need to try hiding them more. This is one of those things that is a big adjustment for me on SB. Off plan, I hardly eat any at all. Sigh.
Closed Thread