Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Smile Starting Again

I have been trying on and off to lose weight for awhile now. I have joined forums, and tried PS2's Kinetic (fun, but I got bored), I have continually been gaining since 1998 or so...and it is time, so I am starting the fight again. Feels like I am always fighting this fight, I hope that soon it will become normal and I won't feel like I am fighting...

anyway, I read 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet (Barnett) and I have decided that Total Body Makeover (focusing on exercise and not restricting your foods) is the way for me to go...I plan on looking for the book at the library --

Until I make it to the library, I have decided to make sure I drink 64 oz of water a day (in addition to any juices and such) -- and to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, with two snacks -- so eating about every three hours. Today is day one. I have eaten dinner and am not allowed to eat again until I get up tomorrow (I still have a couple more hours of work and then I will go home) -- I have hopes that this regular eating will help me feel full and not want to eat the Oreo cookies waiting for me at home :-)
innae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #2  

I can relate to not wanting to restrict foods, I really can't be successful with a program with very specific foods or blanket restrictions as I don't cook much, travel a lot, and in general can't follow a specific eating plan.

That said, I have been extremely happy with the process of online calorie counting (using like TheDailyPlate or FitDay). It has really opened my eyes to where I am wasting calories, that is things that are very high calories that do not bring me the corresponding eating pleasure I have a general calorie range I try to stick around, but unlike many on here, I'm not too strict about going under or over as long as it is balanced overall.

I'll always remember the first time I looked up the calorie count for my "standard" meal at Taco Bell, which is one of my favs when out and about. It was almost 1,900 calories!!!!YIKES!!! I've replaced it with something I like almost as much for around 500 calories at Taco Bell, and now I save 1,400 calories each visit. This single change alone is worth 20 lbs in a year, just from greater awareness.

I would highly recommend that you try it, remember it's a simple equation

calories in < calories out

If you only focus on the calories out (which deserves attention!) it's super easy to almost unknowingly make a corresponding increase in calories in which will make you unhappy with the results.

The food you eat (not dieting), is a huge part of the equation...most would say 70-80%, so you should do something in this space too.

Oops you weren't asking for opinions Good luck
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #3  

randomcards thanks for the advice :-) good ideas are always welcome!

Update: Feb 2
I did manage to NOT eat the cookies last night, and yes, I went to bed a little hungry, that is okay -- We will see how today goes, I am off to fill up my water :-)
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #4  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by innae View Post
randomcards thanks for the advice :-) good ideas are always welcome!

Update: Feb 2
I did manage to NOT eat the cookies last night, and yes, I went to bed a little hungry, that is okay -- We will see how today goes, I am off to fill up my water :-)

You have good willpower.

For me the only way to avoid it is not have the bad food in the house, and not buy anything when I go to the store. It is even harder to walk by when I go get groceries, since I need to pass the bakery section (mmmm).
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #5  

I have been doing well as of late. Even made it to the gym Sun/Mon and Wed (I have given myself permission to skip T/R and Sat) -- and today I worked out with Kinetic (PlayStation 2) -- I started a new 12 week program.

Yeah Me.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #6  

So, I should have worked out on Sunday, but...I stayed in my PJs all day, and watched the Olympics. sigh. but I did better today, got up and did my Kinetic workout.

I have also ordered a new scale -- the one we have is analog and I just can't tell where it puts me at....i can tell I am between 230 and 240...but that isn't much help. I am hoping the digital will be a bit more accurate, but...we shall see -- it is being shipped by Amazon :-)
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 148/132.5/125

Height: 5'3

Smile

I recently started over again also. I weighed abot 160 about 5 or so years ago, lost weight and was down to 115. Some way or some how, it creeped back up on me and I am back to 148. Starting over is hard, and getting through the first week is hard, but once you make it through, and start seeing the results, its worth it!
RynKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #8  

Update: I got my new scale (it is electronic, and talks -- not sure how happy that makes me, but...) -- and it says I am at 239. so, I will start with that as my new Current weight :-)

Still trying to get the motivation to work out, and the weekend trip to Vegas was not really a good way for that to happen. The land of vice, and yes, I had a shake, and some alcohol, and lots of fun :-)
Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Hello Innae! We're all here for you! Good luck and of course keep us updated!
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #10  

So, in case you haven't noticed, I am using this thread as a blog of sorts. I know I won't blog enough to keep anyone entertained, so I thought just adding to this thread would work :-)

So, today I did get up and did my workout (Kinetic), AND did my exercises from "Get With the Program!" -- and I am quite proud that I am sticking with both of these little programs...hopefully I won't get bored and give up!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

I am starting over again today! Rather right now. I have a binge breakfast and I said to myself "STOP!" So here I am again!

I am so sad because here I am, I have gained back some of the weight I lost and I am also trying to get pregnant and not getting anywhere with that. I need to get back on track to eating healthy!

GL all!
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorcandy View Post
I am so sad because here I am, I have gained back some of the weight I lost and I am also trying to get pregnant and not getting anywhere with that. I need to get back on track to eating healthy!

GL all!
I am so with you. I lose, then I gain -- I am committed to stopping that cycle. And I want to get PG too -- hasn't happened yet, but we shall see.

Good Luck back atcha :-)
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Don't make it an option TO give up.

You mentioned your exercise - but of course the bigger part of the equation is the FOOD. Because "they" say and I thoroughly agree - weight loss/maintenance is 80% food/20% exercise. All the exercise in the world can't wipe out too many calories consumed. Soooo, how's that going? Do you have a plan that you are following? Do you plan out your meals/snacks AHEAD of time, so that you don't get caught off guard and make a poor choice??? THAT for me has been key- the planning.

Looking forward to hearing of your continued progress.
You are right...it is not an option! I have to do it (like the ever present laundry :-) -- and I am following the "Get with the Program" (Bob Greene) - and I am still in the first phase...he doesn't focus on the food yet, says you need to start the moving first -- so while I am not pigging out, I haven't cut out any foods (and really that has been my downfall in the past...bad foods vs. good foods -- so, I will try it this way, see what happens.

Thanks for the support :-)