Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #1  
finding my balance...

S/C/G: 216.8/209.4/135

Height: 5'7

Default tanning.

I know the facts. I know its bad for you etc.etc. but I'm soooo white and spray tans just aren't the same. is once a week in a level 3 bed really gonna kill me?
tandifrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

It may not kill you - but it may make you VERY VERY sick.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Embrace the whiteness. You'll live longer.
Scorpio1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #4  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

it could cause cancer later down the line or sooner rather than later. or you may not get anything cancer wise.

but if you do it for long periods of time then your skin will get nasty.
and i understand where you are coming from, bc im so white as well, and I go tanning in the summer only.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #5  

Well tanning really ages people. I'm 23, very pale and I never tan, and I've sunburned only 2-3 times in my life, as a child. My skin is one of my best features and I want to keep it that way. I know girls my age, 23/24, who have been tanning regularly for years, since high school, and to be honest they look haggard already. They might not have deep wrinkles yet but they show other signs of pre-mature aging, like rough uneven skin, "freckles" on their neck chest and hands, fine lines, blotchy skin, etc. If you look like that at 23/24, then how haggard will you look at 30 or 35? I don't mean to cause anyone any offense but I think tanning is just not worth it, even if only for vanity reasons.

I'll admit it though, I'm super pale but when I get a slight spray tan, I do feel sexier. I can understand why people feel better about themselves when they tan, especially if it's a real tan. But I wouldn't tan for vanity reasons if nothing else. Tanning has a very short shelf life. You can only do it regularly for a handful of years before it starts to catch up to you, even when you are in your teens/early 20s. And if you do it only occasionally for years/decades, you will prematurely age before your time although not as dramatically. The risk of skin cancer is also very real, especially if you have fair skin. Non-melanoma skin cancers are usually manageable, but melanoma is very aggressive and spreads quickly. The survival stats for it are not good. And if you get a non-melanoma skin cancer (and many people will), your risk of getting melanoma increases significantly.
arumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I would say it might not kill you... but I don't want to take that chance anymore. Based on your picture, I would guess I'm white-er than you are and I went tanning a few times before I got married in 2008. I did it so that I would look better in my swim suit on our honeymoon. Would I do it again? Naw. It's not worth it. I burn easily and I've burned enough times already that I'm pretty sure I'm already at a high risk of developing cancer, so I don't want to contribute more to it.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/170/150

I do it too even tho I shouldn't. I only tan like 20 minutes every few months. So I guess I'm like you saying its prob not that bad.
AmandaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/172/145

Embrace the pale! Actually, I got a tan ONCE (usually I burn and go right back to pasty so I am obsessive about sunblock) and people kept asking if I was sick. Obviously tan doesn't suit me! Pasty=gorgeous!
MyPitBullSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

Don't do it! I'm pale as well and I get a spray tan every now and then, for special events. I found a salon where they actually mix the colour especially for you and then a profession sprays it on. It lasts abut 10 days to two weeks. Save for the few months when I lived in Costa Rica, I hardly ever tan.

Most of my girlfriends already have wrinkles, and crows feet (we're only 26!) and my skin is flawless. They're on expensive anti aging skin regimes and I just use my drug store brands and look much better. I fully believe it's because I avoid tanning beds like the plague!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #10  
Esme

S/C/G: 201/148/130

During college I worked at a tanning salon for over 2 years... I never really liked tanning but they were hiring and I lived a block away. I tanned sort of regularly for the first year I was there because it was free - but I quickly learned my lesson when I told someone in one of my classes that I worked there and she said "yeah, I can tell." That was the last time I ever went tanning!

But anyway, the reason I am telling this story is because I dealt with people who tanned a lot. Yes, it might give you cancer in the long run, which is scary, but like many other things, hard to consider because it's so far into the future. BUT the effects are immediate. When I would check people in to tan, I would just look at how dry and old their faces already looked and most of these girls and guys were college students like me. I can't even imagine what regular tanners are going to look like in 40 years - keep in mind that when our parents were in their 20's they had to tan outside because tanning salons weren't really around...

ALSO, I would like to mention that those tanning beds (at least in the case of the salon I worked at) ARE NOT CLEAN. People go in there naked, sweat their asses off (literally, *** sweat) and then 16-20 year olds who don't really care about their jobs "clean them" At one point our salon cut our cleaning costs and we weren't even using a real disinfectant. Not to mention if the bed didn't look dirty after someone used it, it would most likely not really be cleaned. Working at a tanning salon sucks so most of the employees don't put too much effort into their jobs.... So if you do go tanning? I suggest using the stand up and wearing flip flops.

So that's my tanning rant. I regret tanning so much for the first year that I worked there, but you better believe that I will never set foot in a tanning salon again and always have atleast 15 spf on my face!

P.S. That smell that you have after you get out of the tanning bed? That's the smell of dead skin cells.

Last edited by foresmewithlove; 01-30-2010 at 09:02 PM.
foresmewithlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

It's not the killing-me that worries me about tanning, it's the wrinkles. Why would anyone do that to herself? I'm not sure what's so wrong about being fair-skinned...

Oh yeah and that story above mine totes reminds me of my friend who got a staph infection from a tanning bed. She had to wear a portable IV in her wrist for a while. She quit tanning after that.

Last edited by ohmanda; 01-30-2010 at 01:53 PM.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #12  
The Devil's in the Donuts

S/C/G: 267/~see ticker~/145 & fit

Height: 5'6"

Take it from a skin cancer survivor and reformed tanning bed user. Embrace the pale...you DO know better.

You know what I remember most about October 1997...I had the greatest tan I had ever had...it was gorgeous...and deadly. Watching my doctor operate and remove this giant tumor from my midsection against a background of beautiful brown skin really burned (pardon the pun) a vivid image in my brain.

All that is left now is the bullet hole scar and a fear that it will return in another spot. I now have to have my skin reviewed every 6 months.

Having heard all that...is that tan worth it?
meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #13  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Okay, I guess I'm one of the idiots that doesn't think it would be that bad for you.

I had never tanned in my life until last summer. Part of that is because I rarely wear shorts in the summer and my legs are PASTY white while my upper body tans to a golden brown because I have an olive complexion.

I tanned for about 3 weeks (every other day on the lower level bed) and had a really fantastic base tan. I was also going to Florida and didn't want to burn to a crisp. I rarely burn, but didn't want to.

Honestly, I would say that I will do it again this summer.

Now, I will say it DOES dry your skin out horribly. I could feel a major difference in my skin, but used lotion constantly.

While it isn't good for you... I think it's a little LESS harmful (IN MODERATION) than laying out in the sun all of the time. I also stopped smoking and am eating healthier, so this is my vice.

*shrugs*
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #14  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I say don't do it.

The tanning bed is actually worse for you than tanning out in the sun. Its purely UVB which is the most likely to cause cancer. The sun emits UVB rays, but it emits UVA rays which burn up a lot of the UVB.

My cousin has her own spray tan business, and the way she does it you cannot tell its spray tan and not her natural skin. Shop around and find a decent spray tan place, it will be worth not getting cancer in the end.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Quote:
My cousin has her own spray tan business, and the way she does it you cannot tell its spray tan and not her natural skin. Shop around and find a decent spray tan place, it will be worth not getting cancer in the end.
Like I said before I totally second this. No one can tell my tans are fake adn I'm not getting cancer. I'm totally paranoid about cancer, as I've been told by my doctor, "It's not if you get cancer, it just a matter of when and what type" - every woman on both side of my family going back 3 generations has had cancer. Tanning is not worth: the risks, wrinkles, or dry skin!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote