Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Smile Still very happy on this WOE. Got a new (more accurate) scale too, woo hoo!

I'm very pleased with the Atkins diet so far. I had expected a stall this week, since that's normal for this diet, but instead have lost 1 1/2 pounds this week. I'm sure next week I will stall.

I got a more accurate scale at Target - one that measures weight in 2/10ths of a pound, measures hydration levels, and measures body fat%.

When I got on the scale, it said 166.4. I figure what I will do is, if it's .4 and below, I will round down, and .5 and above, I will round up. Because it seems a bit silly to go around talking about tenths of pounds since most people just say their weight in whole pounds.

So I changed my weight on my stats to 166. My hydration level is 55% (ideally for my age and gender, the charts says I should be at 47%.) So I am retaining a bit of water, which is what I do every time it's that time of the month. No surprise there.

My bodyfat (eek) is 34.7%. In the overweight category. I already knew that though. I hope to be much closer to (or maybe even reach) a healthy bodyfat percentage by the end of this year. The chart I looked at said I should aim for between 20% and 28% bodyfat for my age and gender.

The scale didn't even cost all that much, it was $29.00 which I was willing to pay. Our old scale only measured in whole pounds, is all beat up and yucky looking now, and also is a bit unreliable - it can vary by about two pounds from one time you step on it until another time two minutes later. So it was time for a new and hopefully better scale.

Well, anyway, I'm still really happy on this diet! I am a bit low energy/grumpy today, but I always am during that TOM, there's just no helping it. I really am looking forward to menopause, LOL! Hope everyone else is having a great day!

Last edited by HealthierLori; 01-29-2010 at 12:48 PM.
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

When I first started trying to lose, I dropped around $80 on a Tanita scale that shows ounces. Best $80 I ever spent. That thing is so reliable, I love it.

Anyway, congratulations on your loss this week! That's great news.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #3  

hey thats great! I've been thinking about buying a digital one too.....I'm kinda worried it may show more than what my other one does though! oh well..after my darn chili experience I guess it really doesnnt matter at this point.....maybe I will buy a new scale this weekend and take a "freebie" on my Biggest Loser Challenge here on this board and start from scratch!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #4  

I think it's really worth it to have a scale that is reliable and accurate. The Tanita scale sounds awesome! They didn't have one at Target though

My husband really wants to try Atkins (he's in good shape, he really doesn't have much to lose at all so he doesn't really need to diet, but he's always unhappy about his belly. I guess guys have image issues too.) but he doesn't want to give up his home-brewed beer so I think it's going to be a VERY modified Atkins

Thanks you guys for posting to my thread! I love to look and see that people are talking to me!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #5  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Congratulations on your weight loss Lori! So funny- I bought a new scale just like that one on my birthday. I love it! I haven't programmed it yet but I do love how it includes the ounces on it. Gives me an idea if I am ready to go down another pound or have some work to do.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #6  

Thank you, Steelslady! Yeah, when you are dieting, it's easy to get excited over a new scale, LOL
Old 01-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I have an older digital scale and I think it's time for me to get a new scale too! I do have a Walmart near me so perhaps in a week or so I will check them out. I don't want to have to program one though.. I already reprogrammed myself with this WOE!
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #8  

LOL! Oh, it's not that hard to program. It only took a couple of minutes. I just had to put in my age, height, and gender. It was easy. I love my new scale. I'm still officially 166, but this morning the scale said 155.8 meaning I lost .6 of a pound since yesterday! So maybe in a couple of days, I will lose another .4 of a pound and then I can claim to be 165, LOL.
I think when I reach the 20 pounds lost goal, I will go get a pedicure to get my toenails painted and my feet softer. That would be a nice treat!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #9  

LOL Lori! Look how long it took me to figure out what WOE means, duh! Some things I am good at.. I know how to take digital pictures and download them to my computer.

But other things I am just not good at. For example, I have a cell phone for years and it took me only 2 years to figure out how to store telephone numbers. I just bought a new cell and this one has more features, so out comes the manual and I hope I can program this phone

As far as scales go, I think my scale is accurate.. But I don't want to have to program one.. You see I live alone (and most of the time I like it that way!) so who am I going to ask to help me program a scale? Most of the time my Mom is calling me to help her.. Hey, I'm lucky I know how to record programs on my TV!

Last edited by TobyThin; 01-30-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #10  

Oh, I'm awful with electronics, too. My husband programs the numbers into my i-phone for me, and I still haven't figured out the various remote controls for the TV, DVD player, etc. I'm pretty hopeless. But the scale was easy. Your scale is perfect if it's still pretty reliable and accurate! I just had to get rid of our old scale because it would give you a different reading almost every time you jumped on the scale, from one minute to the next, and it was driving me batty.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #11  

I hear you Lori! Funny, when I replaced the battery in my scale there were instructions on the back and now it's reliable as I was weighing myself all wrong! I'm doing alot more reading now, reading labels on food, reading instructions on anything new, still reading the Atkins book, plus I try to fit in my knitting so my eyes get tired!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Toby, my super-fancy scale is programmable, but you can also just get on it and weigh yourself. So if you don't care about precentages (or figure them out using OMG!MATH, which I am terrible at) you wouldn't even need to program the thing.

I did program mine when I first got it and it was very simple to do, but then a friend stayed with me and flooded my bathroom, which killed my poor scale. I thought it was a goner, but I replaced the batteries and it came back to life! Yay! I lost all my preprogrammed stuff, though, and I never got around to redoing it because if I really want to know percentages, I will just force myself to do the math.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #13  

Down to 164.0 this morning. I should be pleased, but I think I am losing too fast. That's 17 lbs. in 3 weeks and I think that's a bit too much. I'm trying to make sure I get enough calories each day, with liberal amounts of fat and decent amounts of protein, along with the 3-4 cups of veggies per day, and drinking tons of water all day long, so I really don't understand why I am losing at this rate. I do exercise, but not excessively - I do 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer 5 days a week (I like a day off here and there, when my body tells me it wants a day off.)

I mean I really think I am following this diet as I should, and I'm puzzled as to the quick weight loss. My new weightlifting machine arrives next week so I will start lifting weights to make extra sure I am not losing lean muscle mass (and just because I think it's about time for me to start lifting weights so I can stay healthy as I get older and not be injured due to falls, etc).

Well, maybe this is normal, I've noticed several others have lost amazing amounts of weight the first few weeks. I'm sure I will stall very soon, as my body regains the lost water weight. This just seems odd to me because I've never been on a diet where I lost this amount of weight in such a short time. But, I'm just going to trust Dr. Atkins, he knew what he was doing, working with all his patients. It still makes me nervous though, I can't help it.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #14  

Lori! Thats AWESOME! Congrats on the weight loss! I dont think its too much considering it is low carb and your body is loving it! Just as long as you feel ok....thats whats important. If you dont..then yeah you might need to add more carbs but if you feel great then just enjoy the loss!

I'm at a stall....no loss this week....darn chili. Oh well...maybe I will have a big loss in the coming weeks
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #15  

Thank you, Leslie! I'll try to just relax and go with the flow.

I know you will have one of those magical whooshes very soon! It was just the chili making you put on some water weight, that's all. Within a week, that water weight will be gone, I'm sure of it! Hang in there!