Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/295/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Curves?

Anybody here a member of Curves? My anniverary w/ my DH is Feb. 1st, my birthday is March 4th and of course there is Valentine's Day in between. My DH goes crazy trying to find me gifts for all 3 dates. I was thinking about having him get me a membership to Curves. What are your opinions?
MandiAltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 341/209.1/160

Height: 5'8"

I love Curves now because of Curves Smart...it makes me work out so much harder plus the Curves I go to is literally within walking distance of my house so it gives me no excuse not to go.
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #3  

When you become a member, do you have to go to the location that you get your membership from, or can you go to any location? I have one near my home and one near my in-laws house. (who will babysit for me at a moment's notice) If my DH is working, I don't want to have to drive 20 minutes to drop off my son and drive 20 minutes back and then do it again afterwards to pick him up. BUT I don't want to drive the 20 minutes and back if my DH is home and can watch him...but I guess that's the better altrnative. It would be great if I could have access to both locations!!

What's the workout like there? Will I be the only fat chick there? Will people stare at me and say..."look at the sweaty fat girl!!"
Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

I signed up for one last Summer and I really regret it - it's just not a good fit for my personality. I just want to be LEFT ALONE in peace when I exercise - don't want to chat with the owner/workers. It's nice and friendly of them, but I really really want to be left alone. So I don't go there anymore. In fact hubby bought me a weightlifting machine which will be delivered this week, and I already have a NordicTrak elliptical trainer here at home so now I will have a complete home gym. But until my contract runs out, I'm stuck paying $50 a month for a gym I can't stand because it's all chat chat chat and no workout to speak of. You only get 20 seconds on a machine - which seems like enough, but by the time you wait for the lady in front of you to move, and you get settled in and adjusted, you get maybe 10 seconds to exercise. That isn't nearly enough to bring me to muscle failure, and so I end up feeling I wasted my time instead of getting a workout.

I just hated CURVES, but some people love it. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for in a gym.
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #5  

I just want a gym that I can go to without feeling out of place. Other gyms are made for fit people and I would feel so ashamed.
I know what you mean, though...when we lived in an apartment, I used to go to the little free gym at the complex. I could make sure that I only went when I knew I was going to be alone...then I could watch tv or listen to my ipod and just tune out while I woked out. Now that we have our house I don't have that option any more. It would really bother me to have someone paying so much attention to me as I tried to workout...it would turn me off too.
I'd love to have my own tred-mill or exercise bike but I so can't afford it right now. I guess, for now I'll settle with my workout videos.
You'd think that Curves would have a trial option...maybe try it for a month with no contract. I guess that just makes too much sense!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 341/209.1/160

Height: 5'8"

The curves I go to is pretty quiet actually..usually when I go, I am the only person there but I have gone to other curves where all they do is talk. Go to your local curves and talk to them. Some of them do have an option to go month to month but I think it costs more than if you sign up for the year. I only pay 34 dollars a month and that includes the curves smart. Plus with Curves smart..you get all of the time on each machine.. you have a little card that you put in each machine and it tells you when to start and stop so you are getting an entire workout.

As for feeling out of place, I don't feel out of place at my curves..all the other woman I have seen in there are overweight or around normal weight.
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiAltman View Post
What's the workout like there? Will I be the only fat chick there? Will people stare at me and say..."look at the sweaty fat girl!!"
You will NOT be the only one! You'll see a wide variety of women- old, skinny, heavy. When I went, everyone was really fantastic and nice.

I did Curves for about 6 months. The first few moths, it really kicked my butt! But then I stopped loosing weight because it was the same ol' training routine. It might be different now, but I stopped going because a) it got boring and b) it stopped challenging my body.
encelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #8  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

I just got back from checking into Curves. I have till Friday to join using their promotional discount.
Being older and over weight, I think this kind of place might get me started. My only concern is the year contract.
its right across the street from where i live and the hours fit.
i just with I could throw the whole year on a Credit Card instead of making out a check every month.
Does Curves work, if you put all the effort you have into it?
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #9  
Happy Member

My opinion of Curves - - it works if you work at it. I've been a member for about five years, and still enjoy it.

Yes, some people go to Curves for the social aspect, and that's OK for them. I go to exercise, so I just ignore all the conversations and focus on what I am doing for me.

We have all shapes and sizes and ages at our Curves. I do pick a time when it is less crowded, and I work hard at the machines so I can tell I am getting a good workout.

I prepay by the year, and am happy doing that.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #10  
Lil' Old Chick

I did join Curves and went to my first class Monday. All I can say is I love it, I like the 30 second circuit and I felt good afterwards.
This is the first time I am thinking exercise first and diet second.
I'm going to try the high protein diet with curves too.
Hoping if I have to pay I might just stick with something longer than lunch time.
I would really like to become a Curves Junkie.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 239.6/235.2/164

I really love Curves! I am very comfortable there and I like having a routine. I belong to the gym we have at work and I never know what I'm supposed to do when I go there. With Curves I know exactly what needs to be done. It's not for everyone though. Also, I was a member several years ago (I just rejoined in the last year.) and when I went the recommended three days a week I lost several inches.
jamleigh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #12  
Lil' Old Chick

starting week 2 of curves tomorrow, I can't wait.
I wish I could go 5 times a week, I feel so much better after a workout.
Anybody doing the curves diet?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: fit but technically fat !

Height: 5'1

I think Encelia said it best --Curves is a good workout to get started WITH , however once you get the routine down , it becomes "the same ole routine workout". I really think the Curves company would benefit if they had some treadmills , bikes , and some light weights along with their equipment --
chitownbex is offline   Reply With Quote