Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Thumbs up My daughter figured something out

that took me 4 decades to....

I've mentioned many times that I have a BIG problem overeating cereal once I start and now greatly limit the cereal that I keep in the house, even for my family. I even had to ban Kashi Go Lean from my household for a while, though now it's back, but it's pretty much off limits to me, my youngest daughter is into it though, so I buy it for her.

Luckily my children really, really love Cheerios, which is one cereal I can EASILY have in the house with no problems, I never cared for it much.

While I was out shopping with my youngest daughter she asked if I could please buy a box of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, so I did.

My middle daughter, 20, said to me this weekend, "Ma, please don't buy the Apple Cinnamon Cheerios anymore. I don't know what it is about them, but for some reason I eat bowl after bowl of them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the plain Cheerios too and I guess every now and then I go back for another bowl, but not like those Apple Cinnamon ones, it's like I can't stop myself. I can eat practically the whole box at a time, it's terrible. Please don't buy them anymore."

Kinda reminds me of how someone once asked me "Do you subject your family to your way of eating?". You don't know how I wanted to blow at that one. I think I said something like, "Do I subject my family to my healthy eating? You're darn tootin' I do!! I love them and only want the best for them." I really wanted to say something like, "No, only I'm allowed to eat well, I could care less what kind of garbage I pump into them."

I fell into the trap. Here I thought I was doing them a "favor" by buying the sugar-y stuff, but no. Turns out they're a lot smarter than their mom.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #2  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Congrats for you & your daughter! That's awesome she figured that out when she's still young and able to change her behaviors. I'm thinking a lot of her discovery is because of your modeling, so really this is a victory for you too!
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

That's really cool about your daughter. She rocks too!

My 11 year old son said something on Sunday afternoon that made me grin ear to ear too. I was so proud of him for making "smart choices".

At his grandparents on Saturday, they were pawning off chocolate covered cherries to the boys left over from Christmas. Naturally they loved them and so Grandma sent a box home with them. (Believe it or not, I never really cared for them much so not a threat to me.) Anyway, the next day my DS was looking at the calorie count and started reading it out loud. He informed me that a serving was 2 candies and that there were 160 calories in a serving. Then he had a light bulb moment and exclaimed, "That's 80 calories for one little candy. I could have a yogurt cup, which is a lot more food, and A LOT better for me for the same calories. (Ding..Ding...Ding...Ding) Can I have a yogurt instead Mom???"

"You bet sonny boy!"
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/180/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Don't you just love when kids GET IT when it comes to eating better!!

My 18 year old daughter has actually taught me a lot about how to eat better. Sometimes she walks in the kitchen to grab a snack & I hear her say outloud "Am I hungry or am I bored?" Most of the time she decides she is bored & walks back out with nothing or just a water. Wow! I love that she actually thinks before she eats. Also, if she eats fast food for lunch, she will make sure to eat a healthy dinner. I am so happy that she has a good relationship with food. I am learning so much from watching her.
hometowngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

That's awesome! You have all set the bar high and your kids are leaping over it! They will have a lifelong healthy relationship with food.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Lori, I just LOVE what your son said!!! You must be so proud. It's so fabulous. Showing him the right way vs. the wrong way with food - well that in and of itself makes this whole journey worth it!

hometowngirl, I use LOTS of self talk to get me through situations and I gotta tell you the simple one your daughter uses is now going to be a staple for me (I'm stealing it) - so simple - so spot on. I adore it!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote