Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Considering getting a weight bench...suggestions?

I hate the idea of purchasing exercise equipment. I really, really do. So I have to be certain this would be something useful and worthwhile.

I love lifting weights and always have. My brother had a free weights bench while we were growing up and I loved using it back then. I went to the gym consistently for two years an used the weight machines there. So I already know what I'm doing and I know I love it. Furthermore, we have two growing boys (8 and 10), so I'm sure it will get use down the road too.

Today, I do not have, nor do I currently want, a gym membership. I own an exercise ball and 3 lb, 5 lb, and 6.6 lb hand weights. Before spending any more money on stupid little hand weights, I thought I'd look into a simple free weight bench.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks much!

Last edited by Eliana; 01-22-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Are you going to get the rack,barbell,plates to go along with it?

I have to be honest, in terms of value, if you aren't going to purchase athe rack,barbell, and plates to go with the bench, you would be far better off putting the money towards heavier weights (if you are using DB's and have already been lifting, 6.6lbs is still far too light for you). What about a dumbbell set up to 35-40lbs?

Depending on how much you are spending, I'd go for the bench that offers an incline/decline option, as well as the rack,barbell, and plates.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My question would be what do you envision doing with the weight bench?

A ball can act as a weight bench and you can even use a step as a weight bench.

Dumbbells are great and really I highly recommend to continue investing in dumbbells. They are so versatile.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

I was considering doing the rack, barbell and plates, yes. I like being able to switch out the plates. The hand weights really are just too small/lite.

Nelie, I like using the ball as a weight bench. It's more comfortable. But aren't there more exercises you can do with a weight bench? I know bench pressing could be more effective.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #5  
Just Me

I actually think bench pressing would be more effective on a ball because you are using more muscle groups. Also, I much prefer pushups (modified) to bench presses. I also prefer dumbbells to barbells. For one, you can workout by yourself with dumbbells and if they become too heavy, drop them to the side rather than risk it dropping on your face/neck.

The only real instance I like barbells is for certain leg exercises because our lower bodies are much stronger than our upper body and we can handle a lot more weight. For that though I'd look into a squat rack or something similar.

I personally find weight benches to be of limited use.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #6  
Workin' It

Weider C720

I have this one. It is a squat rack & bench, comes with olympic sized barbell & 225 pounds of weight plates. It is a little big for some places though, I imagine.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Oh my! That looks delux. LOL! Not a bad price for all that. Hmmm...weight bench or treadmill?
Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #8  
Just Me

Once you start looking at systems/squat racks, etc, there are tons of options out there, but they are a lot more than a bench in what they do. Personally, I don't think you need a lot. If you look at something like crossfit gyms, you won't see a single bench, machine, etc in their gyms.

For your needs, I'd probably recommend looking at something like an adjustable dumbbell set that goes up to 50 lbs. I personally like individual dumbbells but the adjustable ones tend to give you more granularity and also tend to be a space saver.