Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default What would be the ideal workout plan?

What would be the ideal workout plan? I mean there are so many choices. There is yoga, cardio, strength training, pilates and so much more. How do you balance out a workout plan that will make sure one is balanced, strong, and fit? It's all so confusing. And should there be rest days? If one walks at least 10,000 steps during day activities, would it behoove one's body to choose a different type of cardio (other than walking) to activate different muscles?

Last edited by Daimere; 01-21-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #2  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Daimere, whatever you are doing it is definitely working! I wouldn't worry about a specific workout plan. I would try to develop an activity plan that you can stay consistent with in the long haul. But don't be afraid to change it up once in a while! What are you interested in? I would start there. Don't attempt to jump into some over the top system right off the bat. You can always add new activities/exercises over time as you become interested or disinterested.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #3  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, the ideal workout plan is the one I enjoy enough to stick with it. It uses all of my muscle groups, and works out not only the major muscles but the minor ones as well. It balances cardio with strength, not neglecting the all-important stretching. There is enough variety to stay interesting, and enough consistency to produce tangible results.

I am still in the fairly early stages, but I am gradually by experimentation putting together such a workout.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

I agree - something you can and will stick with is BEST!
I took up yoga in 2004, and have LOVED it. I also do tons of walking and hiking, just because I like it. Lately, I have worked on ramping up the speed and distance. Because I have plateaued before at about 180lbs (went from 180lbs to 192lbs last year, blah!) I am currently doing free weights and body weight exercises like lunges, pushups, squats 5 days a week. I am unemployed right now, so I have been taking the opportunity and have been doing about 40 minutes to an hour of free weights and bodyweight exercises 5 days a week, followed by either one or the other or both of yoga or walking. Feels great, too! The goal is to build some serious muscle so when I hit 180lbs, I have more muscles to help me slam through that plateau. As I get lower, I will swap to doing to free weights and such 2 or 3 times a week, yoga still 5 or 6 days a week, and add in some kind of sweat-inducing cardio to help me motor down to a low weight. If I become employed, however, that all gets cut back and I just do SOMETHING every day but Sunday. Because I can stick the "Something every day but Sunday" plan. Sticking with it is what matters. You can do it!!!
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I think focusing on a steady routine of cardio (walking, jogging, fitness DVDs, whatever) of 3-6 days a week and adding some additional resistance training about 3 times a week (doesn't have to be a lot ) is a perfect place to be.

Find stuff that excites you to get going with it If that is tough now, as it was for me at one time, keep experimenting and you'll find what you love. Good luck!
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensempress View Post
I think focusing on a steady routine of cardio (walking, jogging, fitness DVDs, whatever) of 3-6 days a week and adding some additional resistance training about 3 times a week (doesn't have to be a lot ) is a perfect place to be.
I agree with the above. And you could also add in yoga or something one to two days a week if you wanted to.

I really like thundahthighs idea of "something every day except Sunday". That's perfect!

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote