Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #1  
Dutch Blitz Dominator!

S/C/G: 140/125/115

Height: 5'5

Red face Freezing cold runs?

Anyone else out there who wake up and run in 25degree whether? I am too cheap to pay for membership at a local fitness center so I have been running in the cold.
Is there anyone else that is doing that? What do you wear? I usually run around with a headband, tights, shorts, jacket, and gloves. And I never shed any of my layers
yellowsubgirly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #2  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I'd rather run in the cold than the heat! I never seem to be able to judge the temperature correctly, though--I always end up wishing I had more or less on.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

ROFL! Gosh you sound just like me! I ran every day last winter come what may. I wouldn't come in rain but I did go in ice, snow, cold, whatever. I even have had ice crystals on my eyelashes. Yep, I was serious about getting the weight off. I was tired of being fat and was tired of making excuses. Weather was not and will not stop me now. Like you, I was and AM too cheap to pay gym membership.

You need a good base layer. I chose silk longjohns. Then you need a good top layer. Neoprene is awesome. You only need one good set of each. You need good gloves, a good stretchy hat and some wool socks. Then you are good to go.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #4  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

I wear running leggings under the mens fuzzy running pants (the tear-away ones with buttons running down the sides). I also wear leg warmers. for the top, I wear 2 moisture wicking shirts, a hoodie,mitten hooded gloves, a ski-mask and a gaiter(tube like neck warmer). Sure I look like an idiot burglar, but I stay warm

Last edited by eroica27; 01-21-2010 at 11:12 AM.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I run in cold weather all the time, my base is wick away light long sleeve, on top a light jacket, then on top of that a windbreaker....I wear a neck warmer, that I sometimes bring up to my mouth and face, a tuke, mits... I am most of the time coolish when I start, but hot and sweaty by the end... I wear wicking socks too, I have no idea how wool socks would be, but they may be too tight cut the circulation in your running shoes...

I much prefer cold weather running to warm/hot weather runs...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

Height: 5'6"

i caved and bought a nike base layer top and pants. they are expensive up front (got the pair for $70 on sale) but well worth it. I wish I could wear them to work sometimes i add gloves, beanie, +/- shirt/shorts on top depending on the weather. i try not to add anything cotton if it is snowing b/c the wet cotton weighs you down (made that mistake during a 5k race). under armour makes a similar set that a lot of my friends like
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #7  

At 25 I'm okay in running tights (mine are Hind, but most athletic brands make something similar); long-sleeve wicking tee-warmth layer-windbreaker; fleece earband; silk or polypro liners in wind-stop gloves. The jacket usually ends up opened.

My next step for warmth would be to add wicking undie. I find that keeping my core (hate the pretension of the word but whatever) warm matters more than what's going on on my arms or legs.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #8  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I used to run in the winter time, truth is I wore a pair of track pants and a sweater and a heavy sweater on top. A pair of gloves and a hat and I was good for my run. Once you get running it gets hot even in that weather I used to find myself rolling up my sleeves. I just wish I could get back into it. I love running in cold weather instead of hot, I feel like I can breath more.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote