Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #1  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Lined Winter White Pants?

I found the most wonderful top from Talbots today, previously priced at $90+ marked down for $27! It's beautiful but needs winter white pants to really stand out.

Okay chickies...what's the secret to wearing these pants? Every pair I tried on at Talbots was sheer even though they were lined. I thought the very visible out line of the front and back pockets as well as the waist band and zipper from the extra material used to make the pockets were more than distracting. Very very visible.

Has anyone found a pair of winter white pants this year that they love? If you are also a petite pear shaped woman...please share where you got them. I have a possible date with DH in NYC on Valentines day (only I have to pull the trigger on this) and I would love to wear the outfit I have in my mind.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Congrats on the great finds and on being able to wear cute things again!

Well, I'm no expert or anything but when I have something sheer, like pants, I usually wear some of those capri shaper things under them and that seems to help some with see-through. There are some that are ankle-length so hopefully the hem wouldn't show through.

I've never found a pair of winter white pants I felt okay about wearing, because even when I wasn't too badly overweight, I still had such short, thick legs and I just never wanted to call attention to my legs. But you know what? I just might buy myself a pair of white pants when I reach my goal just to be bold for once, LOL!

I hope you have a very happy, magical Valentine's Day in NYC!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When I wear white pants I wear nude color underpants, do not wear white as you will get a white on white effect.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #4  
Meg

Lydia, that visible pocket problem drives me nuts! What ARE they thinking when they design pants with pockets that show through? So tacky.

One suggestion -- have the pockets removed and the opening sewed shut. If you have a sewing machine, you can do it yourself. It still looks like a pocket but there's no fabric to show through. I've done this both with light colored pants and ones that have pockets that gap open at the hip (hate that -- makes my hips look bigger).

I have a fabulous pair of winter white pants but they're last years. They're Jones New York and have a four inch contoured waistband (slightly dropped) with absolutely no pockets, with wide legs and cuffs. Just smooth fitting over the butt and hips -- my favorite pants style.

You could check their web site to see if they have any like it this year: www.jny.com. Jones pants are great if you're "hippier", with your hips proportionately larger than your waist (my hips are 9 inches bigger than my waist). On most pants I get a gap in the back of the waistband, but not Jones.

Maybe these? It's not as wide of a waistband and they have back pockets, but not side: Tropical Stretch Contour Pant

or Contemporary Stretch Flat Front Yoke Pant

It doesn't look like these are lined but they're not very sheer: Frost Contemporary Stretch Pant

You can get a closeup view front and back and check out the visibility of the pockets.

Good luck! I wish I could clone my pants for you!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #5  
Mel

I just bought a fantastic pair from Talbots on sale and did exactly what Meg suggested. You and I are shaped very differently, but their misses ankle length fits me perfectly. I always wear beige undies and pantyhose with them.

I LOVE the fact that I can wear white pants. no matter what size they actually come in, I never would have worn them in my big days!

The other suggestion is a long sweater or jacket to cover all the pocket lines. I usually am wearing them with a jacket, or with a top that doesn't tuck in if it's not a suit day.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #6  
Meg

Mel, I bought those in brown and gray! I love flannel pants in the winter because they're warm. The downside is that they're cat fur magnets.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I just bought a fantastic pair from Talbots on sale and did exactly what Meg suggested. You and I are shaped very differently, but their misses ankle length fits me perfectly. I always wear beige undies and pantyhose with them.
Mel! You are NOT going to believe this...THESE ARE THE PANTS! I wanted these to work so badly 'cause I'm tellin' ya girlfriend...they fit my backside like they were made for me. I stood their looking at those thinking every squat and deadlift I've done for the past five years was worth it. Right here and right now.

That being said...and that fact that I could have bought them for $35. I could see right through them!

Great suggestions everyone. In all fairness...I did have black underwear on when I tried them on. I wasn't planning this shopping trip. Tomorrow I'll try them again with proper undergarments and maybe since they are so reasonable I'll take them to my seamstress. I like Meg's suggestion to just have the pockets removed.

Or...maybe I'll head to Macy's first and see the Jones of New York. I really haven't been out all season to shop. (kid duty) Meg...thanks for all the links. Impressive. You are quite the shopper.

I was talking with DH about these pants on the way to the airport and even suggested that I have them relined with a heavier liner. He rolled his eyes and said something like now have all my clothing tailor made. I'm not that vain...yet.

You ladies are fantastic! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #8  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Meg...thanks for all the links. Impressive. You are quite the shopper.
Why, thank you! As I always say to Mel, with weight loss I simply traded one obsession for another.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #9  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

you could take them to the taylor and have them line them for you and sew up and remove the pockets if you like. I too tend to wear a capri shapper for winter, and a beige panty in summer. I also ignore the pocket issue unless they are dress pants...
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #10  
Cat

S/C/G: 198/T/135

Height: 5'9"

I am a sucker for white pants (I have several of my favorite winter sweaters that go with a nice pair of white slacks). The best pairs I've ever purchased were from Ann Taylor and Anthropologie. Granted I paid for them, but they lasted until I had lost enough weight for them not to fit anymore. I love Ann Taylor's lined pants because they hide 'imperfections' and are typically not see through regardless of the color.
catgeraghty is offline   Reply With Quote