Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 01:47 PM   #1  

Question Portions

Hi ladies!

I'm new to this website. Someone loaned be the Body for Life book, and I definately want to try it. At my highest weight I was 278. I have been working out for 2 years, and eating what seemed right for 1 year, and I'm not down to 227. I'd like to lose 50 more pounds, but I've been in a slump for a looooooooong time. I know I'm already committed to losing weight, and I've already proved I can change my lifestyle, but when I read this book it seemed so much easier than what I have been doing. So I'm starting Monday.

Now for my question... I have pretty big hands (I do have a large frame), so is my portion of a carb the size of my fist, or should I make it smaller because my hands are bigger?
Old 08-14-2002, 08:36 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Welcome Liz!

Good question!

My answer is...go by the book and use the size of YOUR palm or fist for portions. (The exceptions would be eggwhites or cottage cheese which are 'fluffy').

Don't get hung up on calories...the beauty of BFL (one of them anyway) is the fact that we DON'T count calories. From what I've seen, people who start BFL and begin to count calories instead of palm/fist end up underfeeding themselves...and don't make progress - remember you have to feed your muscles to help them grow - and the muscles will burn fat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Believe me, it WORKS. As long as you're eating clean (the list is on page 83 of the book) and measuring palm/fist, you'll be just fine.
Closed Thread