Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #1  
Mel

Default January 2010- The Second Half

The January thaw has arrived- 40 degrees and rainy for the next week. I think I missed my east coast ski window

Here's what I woke up to on my CF site:

W O D

25 Pullups

50 Deadlifts (105/135)

50 Pushups

50 Box Jumps (18/24)

50 Floor Wipers

50 KB Clean & Press (26/35) 25 per arm

25 Pullups

This was the benchmark workout done by the cast of the movie “300″ to test their performance improvements while they trained with Mark Twight at Gym Jones in preparation for the movie.

YIKES!!!!!

Not doing a double session today! Maybe I'll just go back to bed

Have a good day, all.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Checking in. Also aiming to be inury-free in 2010 so will leave above WO for the time being!

Doesn't make me any less of a lifter - in personal terms. I'm so uncompetitive. The subject Lydia raised is interesting.

Thaw here, too. In fact, rather spring-like today.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel - I'm not so sure, maybe my memory is faulty but isn't there usually a March dump? We did get snow earlier than normal this year, it might've thrown us off but you may get your chance to ski after all.

I started week 2 of P90x yesterday with the chest/back DVD and I kind of feel stupid. The amount of weight I could do the first time I did the chest/back video is a lot less than I did yesterday. Which really just means I wasn't being consistent at all prior! I mean I knew it but to see my strength seem to virtually double in a week is kind of depressing. I guess the best thing is to not dwell in the past but look toward the future!

One good thing is I think I've pushed my head cold away! Finally, only took 3.5 weeks.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #4  
Mel

I survived! Now FOOD

Nelie- haha, yup, March dump is a good term for it. Luckily in March, I'll be skiing in Breckenridge CO where there is a 100% chance of good snow. Just really wanted to get my legs under me a few times before I am on a REAL mountain

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #5  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Nelie, being sick can really sap your strength, so maybe that was all it was. Either way, congrats on the jump in capacity!

Mel, that's definitely a suckfest! I missed my group wod this morning, as I overslept. Turned out to be a good thing, though, because the mainsite film crew is there, gonna be filming some more strongman vids from 1-3, so I couldn't clean the gym till after that, and I would not have enjoyed either making two trips, or sitting around waiting for them to finish filming. I'll go in closer to when they'll be wrapping it up, to do the cleaning bit, and fit in a workout somewhere today. I'd steal your workout, but it's too much stuff my shoulder can't do yet.

Kim, you're a beast, as usual! 135 bench, I'm not sure I could do even now, and bodyweight bench...in my dreams! (well, only if there was a big beefy spotter ready to keep me from chopping myself in half with the barbell, lol)

Speaking of lifting heavy, though, I got a new 3RM deadlift yesterday. My old one was 185, but yesterday I got 205 lbs for 3 reps. woot! My trainer had been dead set against the usefulness of rack pulls, but then he went to the westside barbell powerlifting cert, now he seems open to the idea, so I'm hoping to talk him into showing me how to do those...maybe some heavy rack pulls would help, too, with strength for that lift.

Oh, and, in other big news, I had been stuck at 2 double-unders with the jumprope, 2 in a row, before tripping on the rope. Now, I'm getting 4 in a row pretty consistently! I'm feeling hopeful that I can break through the coordination barrier and be the boss of those, soon!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 01-16-2010 at 01:48 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #6  

Hi ladies,

NO wo today: cleaned house, did laundry, and tutores a nephew for his exam "elecronics for indusrial engineers". A bit of a brain workout since it is rather outside my field, but I managed & nephew left with some new skills under his belt.

Mel- awesome workout! Made me cringe just to see it.

Silver-:banana: for thawing. it started snowing again this evening, and they had promised warmer weather!!!

Cheryl - great for the double under coordination & the PR!. Take care of that shoulder!

neli -

I'm turning in,
have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #7  

Hi ladies,

EEEEuwww. I'm dead tired and I still need to do my workout! I tutored my nephew for 6+ hours yesterday, and I had to master some of the stuff myself as I'm not an electronic E by nature. It was exhausting. then wake up for DD who came back from a party at 0.30 at night, followed by DS who came home at 02.30 at night, slept untill about 7 or 8, got DD nad DS out of the door at 11 (going to grandma's birthday with XH & NL) and now I'm clearing the attic.

Would clearing the attic be considered a workout if I keep at it long enough??

On the good side: I've been battling an "on the verge of breaking" urinary tract infection for the past 2 weeks and I might have licked it. Not ridking exhaustion, for it will get me for sure.

I'm going back to my attick duties,
have a great weekend all,
rabbit
Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #8  
Workin' It

Rabbit - If your attic is like my storage areas I would definitely call it a workout. Hope you feel better.

Cheryl - on the 205!

Mel - good job surviving the workout!

Nelie - your strength will build back up quickly on the P90X I think.

Birch - you definitely needed a thaw there.

Yesterday was an odd workout day for me. Went to the park to run, but just couldn't get into a rhythm, then it started to rain. Came home and after lunch DH spent an hour on the treadmill. After he was finished I did a PN UB workout, then did 10.5 miles on the stationary bike. No workout today, slept late again. I have no get out of bed discipline.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #9  
Just Me

Cheryl - I guess I should be kind to my body and consider that it had been fighting 'something' for a couple weeks

Rabbit - part of my workout today will be cleaning Although I will do my Yoga as well.

So yesterday I did plyometrics and it was good but I think I realized I need new indoor workout shoes. My old ones have been with me for a bit So I will be searching on Zappos, maybe elsewhere. It is hard though because unless they are running shoes, they always seem to have leather which I won't buy. So it may be running shoes for me, in which case I know exactly what to buy.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Default hi

Hello again! Its been a while...I FINALLY have internet at home, so am looking forward to being able to read and post here!
I am currently playing hockey, and getting to the gym when i can, but with a little guy not in school i find it difficult. My goal this week is to clean my room that has my treadmill in it and give away/put in storage all the stuff in there so i can set up our weight bench and weights. I have a hard time working out at home, with all the distractions, but have come to the conclusion that i just have to do it!! I feel so great when I lift weights, and see results so fast!
I have recently been reading and trying recipes from tosca reno's books and am liking them, but finding it tough to convert our family over to eating clean...somehow junk and sugar foods still end up in the fridge/cupboard and then on my hips! gotta change that!
happy to have found you all again!
wkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #11  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Wkgirl: I complete understand about the difficulty of converting family over to clean eating. My son does OK, for a 7-year old, but he'll still choose mac n cheese (as long as its the orange kind, not the "real" kind) or pasta over, well, anything that has some nutritional value.

Cheryl: Congrats on the deadlift and double-under PRs. In the greater scheme of things, I'd rather have a big deadlift than a big bench, because deadlifts are much more functional in real life.

Attic cleaning is definitely a workout. Well, as long as you haul the excess down the stairs, instead of just reorganizing it on the off chance that "someday" you may want it. Like, um, I do.

Today's workout was "fight gone bad" (with subs) from the crossfit main site. It pretty much kicked my butt:
3 rds. 1 minute each (no breaks), max reps of kettlebell swings, sumo deadlift high pulls, box jumps, push press, and rows. 1 minute rest between rounds.

I had some time to kill after the WOD, so I did some ab work, then tried one-armed pushups. I still have some work to do to get them to proper depth, but the close-grip pushups -- which I read somewhere are the preceding step in the progression to 1-armed pushups -- went reasonably well.

Hey, if Demi can do 'em, I can! Remember Demi Moore in GI Jane? Terrible movie, good workout scenes. Maybe I'm just a sucker, but I cheered the first time she cranked out a 1-armed pushup.

be strong //
K

Last edited by kaw; 01-17-2010 at 05:50 PM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

I've not vanished, just been crazy busy. Went to a 4.5 hour advanced square dance class on Sat - and it was 25 min dance, 5 min break the whole time - and I got to dance the whole time with a mid-30's guy who is smokin' cute! I'm old enough (nearly) to be his grandmother, but who cares. (My DH didn't go for various reasons). Then today was church and the library's 25th anniversary of our building, so I was there setting up, for the party, and cleanup. I now have 1/2 a sheet cake in my freezer (we'll use it for a Feb program) and not one piece crossed my lips!!

Back to the gym tomorrow.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #13  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Wkgirl, welcome back!

Pat, good job with avoiding the cake!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to hit the gym on time, do the workout, whatever that is, then a run after: 2 miles on the flat, plus the hill mile at the end, that's the plan, anyway. Still trying to find my distance pace on the hill, so I'm hoping that running a couple on the flat first will help me get in the groove, and I can keep that going up the hill. I've gotten so used to the short distances and CF style running/sprints, that I'd honestly forgotten what it was like to run with enough oxygen coming in and no clock running, and that feeling of "I could do this all day", so it's nice to get back to some longer (than a mile) runs.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #14  

Hi ladies,

Just reporting in that my WOD has been done; combi yoga & weights
Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #15  
Just Me

Yesterday, I had a 2 hour yoga extravaganza P90x yoga is 90 minutes but I took a couple breaks during it, went and got a drink, did laundry, etc. So it took me 2 hours total. I was a bit amazed at how much improved I was from last week but it was still hard.

This morning, I did P90x legs and back and phew, I was majorly sweating. This week is kind of odd for me so I may have to switch around some workouts and what not. I'm just glad my long workout for the week is done.