PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/266/145

Default PCOS - Dealing with the symptoms

Sorry if there's already a thread about this, but I didn't see one.. I could've just missed it.

I was just wondering how everyone has dealt with the symptoms of their PCOS while in the process of losing weight, before they've gotten to a point where the symptoms themselves have been reduced.

Thanks!
purple lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi Purple Lotus, welcome to 3FC! I guess it's mostly dealt with the same way as it was before being diagnosed. Frustration, but at least after diagnosis, there is hope for the future. Any symptom in particular you need help dealing with?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/295/180

Height: 5'4"

My biggest problem with PCOS was infertility...and of course, what was my Dr.'s advise? Loose some weight! Ugg...but it worked. Now that I'm not trying to get pregnant, my cycle is still my main concern. In the past I have had periods that have lasted for 90+ days with a super-super heavy flow. Now every time I get a period I count down the days to make sure that doesn't happen again. I don't currently have insurance, I go to a free clinic for my meds. They won't put me on BC until I get a pap-smear...but none of the Dr.s will actually DO a pap-smear! SO FRUSTERATING!! So now I'm on pins & needles every month when that time rolls around. Is my period going to behave and go away after 5 days? Is my period going to stick around for 3 months? Am I going to get a period at ALL? And then the cramps...OMG, the cramps. My last period the cramps where so bad I couldn't walk...but sitting still was agony! I know (at least for me) that means I probably have a pretty good sized cyst...and that USUALLY leads to one of those marathon periods that I dread! I know birth controle would solve these problems but...no, I have to have a pap-smear first that NOBODY is willing to give me! AARRGG!! Sorry, for the rant...I got carried away!

Last edited by MandiAltman; 01-24-2010 at 11:56 AM.
MandiAltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

As for getting a pap smear before a BCP Rx, I know that for years I went to Planned Parenthood and was able to just do a "consult". I wasn't formerly diagnosed until a couple of weeks ago via ultrasound. BCP was a godsend, even if I was self treating. I did also get paps through PP, for what it's worth.

As for symptom relief, it really depends on what symptoms you have. Mine were hormone related (apparently) and I found tremendous relief by losing weight. The more grains and refined carbs I avoid, the better I feel, too.

Last edited by junebug41; 01-25-2010 at 01:17 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote