Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

Default Have you called Goal but your weight is above the recommended weight for your height?

I was just curious if those that have called goal weight was more then the weight chart/calculators?

I checked my "recommended weight" on the manual chart and on several sites including this one http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
and 107-141 seems kind of low even though I'm 5'3. I've always been on the think side and I remember being 170 in high school and feeling/looking good.

Another thing that bothers me is how I will look at lets say 141, my boobs have already deflated alot as is I can only imagine what they will look like then as well as my tummy.

Of course time will tell once I lose more weight but right now I'm shooting for 170, maybe 160 yeah it may seem like alot at 5'3 to some.

So what made you call goal verses going by the charts or did you use the chart/calculators as your goal? TIA

Last edited by K-boogie; 01-13-2010 at 04:36 PM.
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I made my goal weight about 5 pounds lower than the highest point of a Healthy Weight Range for my height.

Right now, I'm stuck right on the cusp of that Health Weight Range (164 lbs). I'd love to drop 5 more but I'm finding it really challenging to keep my calories as low as they need to be in order to keep losing as I have. Now if I weren't lazy these days, I could just workout harder....

We'll see.

I LOVE the way I look right now and that's most important. I think my waist could use some toning but otherwise I think I look great. I can't lie and say it's not bothering me being so close to my initial goal without actually getting there.

It also didn't help that I went to the doctor and she said that my healthy range was between 140 and 150! Huh??! I think I'd look like a stick at 140 or 145...even at 150! I really don't think she is taking my frame into consideration with that range.

ETA: My boobs have deflated, too. I went from a 38DDD to a 32 DD. I like my size now...I just can't lay on my back or they disappear!

Last edited by Cali Doll; 01-13-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Congrats on losing 72 lbs, by the way! That's freaking awesome!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I based my goal weight on a lifetime of experience, some of it hard-won & unhappy.

I'm your height, so this may help. Or it may not. It may be utterly irrelevant, because I don't know what your build is, compared with mine, or your age, or what your eating habits are, or even what kind of cultural setting you're living in & what kind of people surround you & influence your standards regarding how a body ought to look & feel.

I remember being 105 & looking skeletal (without realizing it) and developing an eating disorder. At 115, I ate a bit more, though not much, but exercised insanely. (And by "insanely," I mean a lot, since I exercise at least an hour & generally an hour & a half seven days a week now.) At 125, it was still a lot of work & my metabolism was 17 years younger than it is now. I was motivated more by appearance. Also I worked in a very formal work environment, where people put a lot of $$ into their clothing & a lot of thought into their "look."

Now, I work in a corporate environment but one that is less looks-centered. And the whole "workplace casual" thing has come along & intervened between then & now.

So from my past I knew what I **didn't** want to be. I wanted a healthy weight, but also a weight that was sustainable over time. I am willing to work hard & to be dedicated, but not to train, train, train.

I've thought of aiming for 135, but if I did, it would be for vanity's sake. And as I'm sure this post makes clear, I'm giving up my vanity a little bit more each year. I'm really trying not to think about a particular weight as much, since I know weight goes up & down. Rather, the numbers that I'm watching are my cholesterol level, my blood pressure, my A1C levels, etc.

Even more so, I'm looking at my physical capabilities, so my metrics are harder to put a number on. My goals now are things like running a 5K in 30 minutes or less, swimming a certain number of consecutive laps in a pool without hanging onto the ledge to breathe for a few minutes. Or managing certain manuevers more easily in Pilates class.

I don't know you very well but I'd suggest seeing how you feel & how your health checks out at the weight you want to achieve. There's nothing wrong with readjusting along the way.

Last edited by saef; 01-13-2010 at 05:11 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If you think that 160-170 is what is healthy and sustainable for YOU then to **** with the charts. Which is healthier staying at a weight that is a little "overweight" according to some chart or fighting for some arbitrary number you dont really want, may be difficult for your metabolism to achieve and might be near impossible to maintain. Worse would be rebounding because you tried to reach some artificial goal.

My mom had that happen with WW. She got to 155 and was happy but they wouldnt help her learn to maintain until she reached 141 so she just gave up and now she is probably 240.

On the other hand I never thought that a thinner weight would look good on me. I was positive I was large boned and would be skeletal below 135. Turns out when I got there I realized I had a smaller frame than I thought and even at 125 I didnt look skeletal at all.

I say who needs a final goal now. Go for 160-170, whatever you like. Get there. Practice maintenance for awhile. Maybe you'll decide a few lower is good, maybe you decide you are happy.

Why do you need to decide now?
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #6  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

Height: 5'4"

Interesting... The link you gave suggests my ideal weight for my height is 157, but BMI weight is between 111 and 146. I'm actually kind of glad I picked 180 as my goal... Because when I get close to it I know I might want to go lower. But, honestly, 111 feels like I'd be a skeleton, so I won't shoot that low. Ever.
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #7  
Walking away the weight

I am 5'6" and right now, my goal is to lose about 50 lbs and get to 180 lbs. Then I will reassess how I feel in terms of health, etc. I may or may not want to weigh less. I also find those charts to be extremely restrictive.
Loveliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #8  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

My goal is just under the highest portion of the recommended weight... I am 5'3 and my fitday says under 141.1 is healthy for me. My goal is 140. The last time I lost weight I got down to 158 at my lowest. I was in a size 12 and working my way into a tight size 10. My sister who has my same build was about a size 8 at 140 and a size 6 when she was 135... So I guess I am sorta basing it on all of that.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

I don't know what my ultimate goal is. Everyone keeps telling me I look like I should stop now, but I'm not close. 199 is my primary goal. I think I can safely and healthfully get to 170. I really don't know if I can ever weigh less than that. Right now I'm in a 12 top/ 14 bottom at well over 200 lbs. I think I'm really, really heavy--muscles and just being heavy and dense (I have really big hands and feet and am large everywhere). So, I don't know. I'm sure that totally answers your question, LOL.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

i hear different numbers all the time. I feel like 160 is a solid number for me, that I can maintain. I've never wanted to be much smaller than a size 10, maybe an 8...just personal preference. So I'm aiming for slightly higher on my weight range, with an emphasis on being healthy and fit.

But who knows? I may get to 160 and decide to do more. Flexibility is important, imo.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I loved being 173 (my low weight back in 08) and would love to get back there. It was my lowest adult weight and I felt great, loved how I looked, etc. It's definitely well above the "normal" range for someone my height, but I don't care. When I make it back there, I'll be at "goal"

Part of that is that I was so heavy for so long... I do think that makes a difference on a number of levels.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I originally set my goal pretty high, then moved it when I got closer to 162...just inside the healthy BMI for my height. And I did get there. But it wasn't sustainable for me with the level of exercise I was doing...I am built pretty thickly. I adjusted my goal back up to 168-170, and that's a maintainable weight for me. I have a healthy waist measurement, healthy waist to hip ratio, and a healthy body fat percentage, and wear a size 8, so I'm ok with it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, gosh. Goal is so hard knowing until you are on top of it. Don't worry too much about the deflated bits. I had that happen too but you know what? My breasts are sort of plumping up and the skin on my stomach is pulling in. I am still considering surgery for both but if they continue to improve the next few months I am not going through with it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #14  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

I'm also 5' 3".. When I previously lost weight after being big my whole life, the 150's was amazing for me.. I felt more.. average, just a little chubby. Then I got down to 143 and everyone told me I didn't need to go down more, but I was still at a size 9/10 at the bottom and mediums on top, and because I'm curvy and proportions don't change much, I think that's why the 140's looked okay, but there were still parts I wanted smaller like my stomach and thighs, but not my bust or butt.
I was surprised actually to see that I still kept my curves and proportions.. even though my chest got smaller, it was still "big" (38DD to 36D, but I can say if I got to goal they would probably be a c-cup), and when I did measurements I still kept the same proportions, but I still felt like i lost them b/c of what I was used to..
Then various friends and acquaintances complimented me on having curves, a bust, a butt - even more so than before, which was weird to me b/c I started comparing myself to other girls who I thought looked curvier, but I think it's just getting used to yourself at a smaller size.. I'd never been that small, so I literally felt different in my skin and it didn't feel "curvy".. b/c my perception of that was based on a higher weight..
So that's one of the reasons why I'm okay with having lowered my goal b/c I thought my body would change radically, but it really turned out to be better than I expected.. I know girls that are not happy with curves, who would rather have flat stomachs than be curvy, like my roommate.. she thinks she looks good at 110, whereas, I think I'd be wayy too skinny and even she compliments me on my curves a lot, so it's weird.. I think sometimes we have to slow down with focusing on just getting to a certain number, and consider how we feel at certain weights and if its healthy enough for us or not.
Anyway, I think it depends.. initially I felt great at every lower weight, but now that I gained again, I simply can't be comfortable at a weight I was OK at before b/c I've already known how it feels to be in the 140's, so I feel like I have to at least get there to be satisfied again.. It's just one of those things I guess you'll figure out as you go along.

Last edited by Starrynight; 01-13-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

Thank you ladies for responding!

I am just going to go with the flow lose the weight and reevaluate at 180, 170, 160 etc and see how I look and feel. I'd rather be a little curvy and look healthy then skinny with a sunk in face and skin hanging everywhere.

I know it will take time for my body to adjust and face to settle but I rememebr when I lost like 40 lbs and my face looking long and drawn (I tend to lose weight there first) not to mention the boobs so I was like dang! if this is how I'm looking now what in the world am I going to look like at 145. Also I've had 2 kids so the boobs and tummy area have been streeeeetched!!

Anyway my ultimate goal is to be healthy, look good and be comfortable. Whether that's at 170 or 140 don't care as long as I can maintain without struggling and killing myself to do so.

You ladies are great!
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote