Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/216.5/120

Height: 4'11

Default Help... Skinny Husband, Fat Wife, what to cook ?

So my husband is trying to gain weight and I am trying to loose. This makes it really tough to cook dinner

Any recipe ideas that can be made Low Fat or high Fat easily ?

this is a tricky one
letstrythisagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

I am in the same boat as you !! As for me and my boyfriend we eat the same meals that I make for my weight loss goals. However, he eats another meal/ snack in between to add on the calories. (such as a cliff bar, extra helping of carbs on his plate, a bowl of cereal). So far he has been gaining despite the ""Diet food "". Just make sure he eats his snacks away from you, so you don't feel tempted to eat them, too. Eating the same meal works if he just eats a bigger portion of it as well.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My mom has had a weight problem most of my life (I'm soon going to be 44), and my dad has not. When I was very small I remember her making separate meals for she and I (I've had a weight problem since kindergarten), but by the time I was 10 or so, she'd changed her strategy and made meals that were either the same for everyone (but the skinny folks like my dad, brother, and younger sisters could eat as much as they wanted, while we measured our portions) or she'd make another side dishes (usually starchy) that we wouldn't eat. Or they'd add bread to their meal and/or butter to their potato, that we would not.

It really doesn't have to be very tricky. Especially now that there are so many healthy and delicious recipes so easy to find online. There are a lot of ways for the thin partner to add calories (a larger serving of the healthy dish, an extra pat of butter on bread or veggies, a handful of nuts as a snack... it doesn't take much to make up the calorie differential needed).

My hubby needs to lose weight as much as I do, but he can also eat more, and still lose weight, so we do this ourselves as well. I make a dinner that has about three to four servings. I eat one serving, and he eats what he wants. There's always enough left over for me to have a meal the next day, and sometimes more. Either way, I'm not forcing him onto the exact portions that I'm on.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-11-2010 at 04:15 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

My husband doesn't need to gain but he can probably eat 500-1000 calories more a day and not gain. He usually will have a snack or double up his portions at dinner. I will also make a side that he'll eat but I won't (like mashed potatoes or something).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5.5"

Like several other people have mentioned I find it useful to cook a healthy low cal main dish and add a higher calorie side like bread rolls or pasta for those who need it.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #6  
So Ready

Not so much a recipe suggestion as a method one...I own two crockpots, which I highly recommend! My husband is a strict vegetarian, so I can make him veggie things and make my hearty beef and chicken crock dishes at the same time with minimal fuss. Then, we can both eat at the same time, in the same manner (from the crock), and it doesn't feel so awkward.

Good luck!
traceriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/216.5/120

Height: 4'11

where did you get your crockpot recipes. my husband is a very finisky eater so this method just might work. I am paranoid about leaving them alone though :0 I have a huge fire fear LOL
letstrythisagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #8  
So Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by letstrythisagain View Post
where did you get your crockpot recipes. my husband is a very finisky eater so this method just might work. I am paranoid about leaving them alone though :0 I have a huge fire fear LOL
I just google for crockpot dishes with the ingredients that sound good to me (i.e. "lowfat crockpot mexican chicken" or "vegetarian crockpot stew or chili" etc.).

You can cook them all day on low and get your meat really tender without the crock heating up so much that it freaks you out. I've left my crocks going overnight, and all day while out running errands. I just make sure they're on the counter with nothing above or around them.
traceriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #9  
The Last 10lbs!

I make large amounts of healthy meals, like stir fry for example, but I eat about 1/3 of it and my tall, skinny boyfriend gets the other 2/3, if not more. I just take a healthy sized portion for myself and he gets everything that's left, which suits him fine! He's not trying to gain weight or anything but he has a big appetite and likes to eat healthily so that works for me too!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote