Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 07:38 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #185

Good Evening, Flowers!
We just got home from visiting MIL and DH has gone to do his hog chores; he's probably counting new baby s !

It is hot and sticky! Man, I wish the cool weather would come and stay! We went to church this morning and even the church seemed sort of warm after we'd been there a while.

I hope you all have had a nice relaxing weekend! I look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-11-2002, 10:37 PM   #2  

Hi Jean,
Thanks for starting the new thread.......I thought about it, but figured I'd probably screw it up. Know what you mean about these dog days. However, there's hope, as the birds around here are beginning to gather into flocks, and my friend heard a katydid last week and the oldtimers say that means cold weather in six weeks, so hang in there.
Call me a slow learner, but I discovered Eggbeaters this week. I'm not an egg person, so didn't pay much attention to them until one of the gals started talking about the wonderful omelets she makes on the weekends. I bought some last week and made a delicious omelet this morning, which only used 2 pts. Can't beat it. I shall be doing that again!
I'm off to see if I can see any of the Perseid Meteor Shower. I should be at camp where there are no lights..........oh well.
Have a great Monday everyone!
Cheers,
Bubs
Old 08-12-2002, 09:39 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It has rained off and on all day -- when it rained, it poured! I've been sorting through more "junk", pitching some, and saving some for the kids to look at. I've discovered Beth is a "saver" like her mother!

Bubbles -- I don't think we have katydids up here but we did hear locusts several weeks ago. Supposedly that means there is six weeks until the first frost . . . which should be around September lst. I think Maggie likes Eggbeaters -- I've just always used "real" eggs and counted the points. I haven't had an omelet in a long time -- sounds good!

Maggie -- How was WI? I hope the iron monster was user friendly for you tonight.

Guess I will go straighten up the kitchen so I can get up to NO clutter in the morning. Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 08-12-2002 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:59 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Default Weigh Day

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We are in a record setting spell here. When the temp is 100 in town we 5 and upward degrees hotter here. Friday the temp was 106 in town and yesterday 101 so it is cooling down some. Glad we have this air or poor Turn would really be suffereing when we are down enjoying cool sea breezes.

I do like Eggbeaters. In fact I order them in the restaurant when we are out for breakfast. I like the fact you can have LOTS for only one point and when they are cooked you can hardly even tell the difference when you put salsa on them. Cowboy even likes them and that is a testamony to cherish.

The Iron Monster wasn't kind to me this evening for he said I was up 2 pounds. I don't have a clue unless it may be water retention. It is hot and I have been drinking a LOT. I am not even going to try to figure out the why ~ just go on and have another OP week and take what comes.

Have a good evening flowers.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:47 AM   #5  

Hi Flowers!
We just returned from the SF Bay area to take my MIL back home. We had a nice visit this week...a lot of laughs as she remembered the funny things DH did while he was growing up!

Tomorrow the Dentist AGAIN!! to remove yet another bone shard from the wisdom tooth extraction site! They don't really hurt, but they are a BIG BOTHER!!..

I can relate to the triple digit temps!!! We were over 100 every day last week! Alaska is sounding better and better! Only 10 more days before we leave. I'm ready!!

Well, I was just checking in...my computer lives in the guest room, so when we have company...I don't get online much. I spent tonight shifting through 210 emails!! I'll have to remember to send out a "On Vacation" email before we leave.

Hope this week brings you all love and happiness!
Jackie
Old 08-13-2002, 11:32 AM   #6  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
We are enjoying a cool day here! After rain all day yesterday, it was dark early last night and the temperature was 55 degrees when I went to bed! It's supposed to stay in the low 80s for the rest of the week and I hope they are right!

I can't decide which project to work on today . . . feel like I should go to school and make sure my desk is in order and my ducks in a row. Oh heck, time enough for that next week! Thursday and Friday will be district and building meetings, Monday and Tuesday will be pretty much work in the rooms.

Maggie -- If you ever get this weight loss process figured out, let me know! When I think I'm going to show a loss, I gain, and vice versa. Keep on working your program and I'm sure the Iorn Monster will cooperate next week! I hope it cools off for you! My windows were open last night and it was great sleeping -- the cats must have missed the open windows because they went from window to window checking out the fresh air.

Jackie -- I forgot your MIL was with you. Mine will be going back to AZ in about another month. She'll go -- either by plane or by car, but she is going! (if you get my drift ) She's decided the doctors up here don't know anything because they all tell her the same thing . . . she's 82 years old and it takes a longer time for nerves, muscle, and bones to heal. She won't quit playing golf and she won't take her pain meds on a regular schedule so my sympathy is wearing a little thin. How soon do you leave on your cruise? I wish there was some way to filter out the junk emails; I've tried blocking them but with all the goofy #s, hotmail, and yahoo addresses, it doesn't work very well. I'm sorry to hear about your teeth - bone chip problems. Back in the '70s I had all four taken out at once and when they did the follow up xray, I had two more tiny ones that didn't show on the first xray. Good luck!

I need to put some bills out for the mailman to pick up and get busy. Have a great day, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 08-13-2002 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:00 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Oh how I wish it would rain here.

I made the best salad for lunch ~ I wanted a salad but more than a salad and since this is an 18 point day I decided to experiment and make up a good sounding salad and I am so pleased with it I will share it with you here and type it up to save and do it again. It is one that I can take along the ingredients on a picnic and put together on the spot so it would be nice and fresh.

TUNA-BRUCHETTA SALAD a la MAGGIE ~ 5 POINTS

1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese (1-point)
1/4 cup Trader Joes Bruchetta Sauce (or make your own) (1-point)
1 (3-oz) can waterpack white albacore tuna, drained (2-points)
1 Wonder Light burger bun sprayed with garlic cooking spray and toasted then cut up in crouton form (1-point)
4 purple onion rings (free)
2 cups or more of torn lettuce greens (free)
Pinch or two of parmesan cheese (not too much can be free ~ 3 Tbsp shredded is 1 point)
Freshly ground black pepper

Place the lettuce in a pasta type bowl
On top place as you wish the cottage cheese, tuna & onion
On top of that put the bruchetta sauce
Sprinkle your home made croutons around the top
Sprinkle with shredded cheese and freshly ground pepper

I keep parmesan cheese in my grinder in a plastic bag in the refrigerator so it is always ready to grind a pass or two over things. Alos on the table resides a container of pepper corns that is ready to grind over what-evers.

Keep cool and have a good OP evening

Last edited by Maggie; 08-13-2002 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:48 PM   #8  

Hi all you Flowers,
Jean, looks like your heat has moved our way. We'd kill for some rain. It's supposed to start Sunday, I think. That's good timing, as the State Fair ends Saturday.

Leave your classroom alone and enjoy these last few days of freedom.

Maggie, that salad sounds delish, and if I knew what Bruschetta sauce was,, it would probably sound even better Does anyone remember the old WW recipe where you added a shredded apple, skin and all, to tuna salad? It really was good, and gave it so much bulk you thought you were getting alot to eat.......well, actually you were. I haven't fixed it in a long time. I ate so much tuna back then that I really have trouble making myself fix it.
We're having a wonderful peach season! People are selling them from their cars all over, and they are scrumptious! I'm eating all I can while the getting's good, because I don't care for them out of a can or frozen. Same with all the fresh veggies.

Went over to camp today, then Jimmy swam the river while I was being rowed across in the rowboat. So now my car, and probably the whole house smells like wet dog Oh well, I don't smell it, and if visitors do, they can just deal. It's summer time and he loves to swim.........should have been a lab.

Have a great Hump Day one and all,
Bubs
Old 08-13-2002, 10:33 PM   #9  

Red face

Just checking in to report a .6# loss at WI tonight. I "felt" like it would be more but since I didn't journal everything this week, I'm sure I was over points on some days. Tomorrow begins a new week for me -- onward and downward!

Maggie -- Your salad sounds delicious and thanks for sharing it with us! I'm in the same boat with Bubs . . . what is Bruchetta Sauce? I don't think Iowa has Trader Joe's or at least I've never heard of one. Did your lemonade pie turn out? That sounds good too!

Bubs -- What all is in the tuna - apple salad? That sounds good too! I'm always on the look out for things that I can fix for school lunches. When you were talking about Jimmy swimming in the river, I thought you were talking about a kid. Are you working at camp now or just hanging out? Hope your weather cools off for you . . . I'll try to keep some and send some your way!

I am off to fold some cat towels and then watch the news. My windows are open and it feels like it might be a blanket kind of sleeping night! See you tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-13-2002, 11:48 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Bruschetta sauce 101:
Ingredients in the Trader Joe's:
Chopped Roma Tomatoes
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Basil
Salt
Garlic
Sugar
Black Pepper
1. Use as a bruschetta spread on toasted garlic bread or dip with bread.
2. Toss fresh sauce into cooked pasta for a hot pasta dish, or refrigerate for a cold pasta salad.
3. Simmer fresh pasta sauce in a sauce pan to use as a Marinara sauce with any Italian dish.

The sauce I get from Trader Joes is fresh and has to be refrigerated. If you can't find a fresh brand in your favorite market than I am sure you can find a recipe and make your own if you want. Or if you want a copy of the one that I put together I can e-mail it to you for I have it in my MasterCook program. It has a few more items in it than the one above does.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-14-2002 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:09 AM   #11  
Thin Within

LEMONAIDE PIE
Serves 8: 4 POINTS per serving

1/2 can of frozen lemonade mix - melted
2 (8-oz) cartons of fat free Cool Whip - thawed
1 box (0.3 oz) lemon flavor sugar free Jell-O
1 low fat graham cracker crumb pie crust
1/4 cup boiling water

Dissolve the Jell-O in the water and add it to the lemonaide in a large bowl. Add the thawed Cool Whip and gently fold it all togeher. Pour it into the pie shell and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight. Keep left overs refrigerated. Cut the pie in 8 pieces.

The next time I make a lemon pie I am going to make it like I do the Key Lime Pie only substituting lemon stuff. Here is it also.

LIME or LEMON PIE
Serves 8: 3 POINTS per serving

1 low fat graham cracker pie crust
1 (8-oz) carton fat free Cool Whip - thawed
2 (8-oz) cartons fat free Key Lime yogurt (or Lemon Chiffon)
1 box (0.3 oz) lime flavor sugar free Jell-O (or lemon flavor)
1/4 cup boiling water

Dissolve the Jell-O in boiling water then add it to the yogurt in a large bowl. Add the thawed Cool Whip and gently fold all together. Pour it into the pie shell and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Cut the pie into 8 pieces.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:05 PM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers!
It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood! The sun is shining and the sky is a bright blue today.

I have been organizing my school stuff and making a few lists for when I finally get to my room. Rumor has it that I will be changing homerooms so will be interesting to see where my desk lands.

From the 3FC announcement, it sounds like we won't be able to check in over the weekend . . . or did I read it wrong? I need to go back and check again. When they talk about cookies, I think of chocolate chip!

Maggie -- Thanks for the recipes! I had bruschetta sauce pictured between a salsa and spaghetti type sauce. But when you said "spread", then it must be thicker than that? Sounds yummy! I would like to have the Maggie recipe if you don't mind sending it to me.

Not much else is going on. I'm off for a nail appt. and a trip to Penneys to pick up a cabinet I ordered for the "finished" bathroom. Bob put the toilet and sink in last night -- nothing leaks and it's bright and shiny. We still need the window frame, one wall of woodwork, and the carpet in the hall tacked down. Then it will be a done deal!

Have a happy Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-14-2002, 01:22 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Hump Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

What a bright sunny day here in the forest. It is gonna get hot though. I have my fan going at "3" setting right now and fixin to turn on the air when my forehead breaks out in beads. I had a good 18 point day yesterday and today is a 24 point one. I woke up and sat on the edge of my bed this day and looked at myself in the mirror and said. "Self, you lost weight yesterday and you will lose weight to day." That is the plan.

JEAN before you spread the sauce on bread it is a good idea to drain it. It is a rather thick sauce but you do have to drain it for that use. I'll e-mail it to you today. How neat that the bathroom is getting to the "done" stage. Bet it is going to look great. Well I do hope they move you and you don't have to move that desk and all your stuff. Change is good if it is a nice space they have in mind for you.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:28 AM   #14  
On my way to thin!

Good Morning Flowers.

Well what a wonderful week I had. Lots of driving back and forth to the trailer but it was all worth it. The weather was truly wonderful. I got in a couple days of swimming, some book reading, some good softball games, (my daughters team got knocked out , but they play very well), and 3.5 days of "stitching and *****ing" that what we call our quilting week-end. There really wasn't very much *****ing going on but with 8 ladies working on quilts 3 days straight, it did get very interesting. I made great headway on my quilt but I still have lots to do.

I went to my meeting on Tuesday and after missing a week I was down 1 pound and very happy about that because the quilting weeking also included more food than I've seen in a long time. I made sure I supplied lots of fruit and veggies and that helped alot as did all the water I drank.

Well, I just wanted to say hi and let you all know that I missed reading about everyone's progress and posting back to you. I'm glad to be back and I'm really focused on staying on track. I even went to the gym last night. Ouch, my arm muscles are sore!

Take care and have a wonderful OP day!

Brenda
Old 08-15-2002, 09:11 AM   #15  
Web Nana

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is day 4 of our HEAT WAVE. We are expected to reach the record of 98 today. The car temp gauge read 111 the other day. Have the AC on and trying to stay cool. I am trying to imprint this heat on my brain so next winter when it is cold and snowy I can just think back and not complain.

When Kerri (8) was here with her brother, this last weekend, she was dissappointed with the amount of computer time she had because she had to share me with her brother. Five minutes after she got home I got a call from her. "Nana, can we have a special day, just the two of us so I can play on your computer?" Now how can one say anything else but Yes to that? She was here for the morning yesterday and we had a lot of fun. I showed her some of my game sites and a LEGO sight I found for her. She had her Mom put them on their computer. It was fun and we also made Oatmeal Cookies for her to take home and share! Their renovations are just so slow and have had many complications and a couple of set backs. The first was the water leak and next it was an oil leak! They, also, have been without AC while the workmen are installing the AC for the new 2nd floor.
At this point I think DD#2 is rapidly loosing her mind and questioning the whole process.

MAGGIE: You have not let the little slip at WI get you down and that says a lot for your attitude. You will get back on the downward path because you BELIEVE! I think our bodies tell us that they need a rest every once in a while and maybe after a few weeks you will be right back on the Road to Thin!

JEAN: Happy to hear your bathroom is almost complete. That didn't seem to take too long, or is that because I didn't live through it as you did?

BRENDA: Nice to have you back. That 1# loss is great! I think the energy you expended doing that quilting over came any extra eating.

BUBBLES: I, too, thought that Jimmy was a person. But I reread your post and realized he was a dog. Some dogs really do love to swim as much as we do!

Jackie: Your temps are even hotter than what we have been having. I don't envy you.

Gloria in MA.....keeping cool.
Closed Thread