Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/253/199

Height: 5'3"

Default I think I belong here...

Hi, I'm "SugarJunkie" and I'm addicted to food.

I am such an addict, that it's insane. I can't stop thinking about food. I can't stop eating. It's such a horrible downward spiral. And I'm just not sure how to break it.

I'm counting my calories. (Today is my first day back on track. I lost 50 pounds awhile back, quit counting calories and gained 35 pounds in 4 months )

Today I was doing great, until I decided I HAD to have a snack. So what did I do? I made myself some nachos. A full CUP of shredded cheese. 2 layers of chips. Then, when that wasn't enough? I had 4 chocolate chip cookies.

I just don't know how to control myself. But I have to find a way, this is killing me.
SugarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #2  
No Words Too Honest

S/C/G: 290/165/160

Height: 5'8"

Greetings!

This, by far, was one of my greatest and most frustrating obstacles and one of the reasons I had to go "cold turkey" on my eating habits: my overcompensation.

Like you, when I felt like a "snack," I had a meal, and when I felt like a "meal," I had a buffet. The hunger was insatiable. I never felt full even though I knew I had to be, but that feeling of "satisfied" never came no matter how much I ate.

The problem with food addiction is that it's such an incredibly personal experience and, on the same note, an intimately personal solution. For me, it was a combination of recognizing that my addiction was killing me and the sight of my face (not my body) in the mirror. Just my face...the sight I'd come to recognize was suddenly foreign to me. That was April 5, 2009.

Honestly, I don't know what's kept me going all this time. I wish I had a pill to sell, instructions to follow, a drink to offer or even a bottom-line solution, but I don't. I won't pretend to know you SugarJunkie, but I do understand your struggles, your fear and the frustration that keeps setting you back. I lied and cheated and sacrificed so much for my food addiction. I did this. Now, I must undo it.

Think back to when you lost the 50 pounds the first time. Write about it. Ask yourself the following:
- What and who motivated you then?
- What steps did you take to start?
- How long did you work on losing the weight?
- How did you feel after you lost it?
- What set you back on binging?
- Has anything significantly changed since then?
- Why do you want to lose the weight now?
- What triggers your addiction?
- Why is it important that you fight this?

For me, seeing the words on paper...facing the honesty about your situation is the best of therapies. Once you're honest with yourself, so many things are so much easier.

Then, the next time your start making those double-layer nachos...stop. Really stop...even if it's just for a moment.
Recognize what you're doing.
Say it out loud..."I'm making nachos."
Ask yourself..."Do I need nachos?"
Talk to yourself.
Question yourself.
Be honest.

Like I said, the answers are personal, but hopefully you can find the trigger that helps you to overcome the addiction.
You belong here, and you're welcome here, as I was.
Forgotten Quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #3  

Thanks for such an awesome response

Honestly, the first time I lost the weight I was a truck driver, so I lived in the truck. I quit keeping food in the truck, and my only option was to eat when the truck was stopped. At that point, i had my husband with me 24/7 and I had him to keep me accountable.

Now? I am a stay at home mom, with my husband gone for 6 weeks at a time. I have the kitchen at my disposal, and teh drive thru too.

I just need to kick myself in the butt and get going.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

I also can't give you any really great advice, I think the desire to stop and to change your habits comes from within. I've found some tips here really helpful, everyone here is very kind and accepting. I've been through times like yours, where your snack becomes a free-for-all... And many things helped me changed, like realizing what I was eating was ridiculous. I also totally axed junk food at one point (now I have it every now and then but I can control it). There's just something about junk food that makes it addictive, I don't know if its the preservatives or refined carbs... But it's like a drug. Anyways, I think Forgotten Quill had some really good ideas for what to do. I just wanted to tell you that I support you 100% and wish you the best!
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #5  

Thanks so much!!

I think you're both very right. I need to make the change myself and what I really need is support! (Which I am so glad I found this site!)
Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #6  

Sugarjunkie,

I feel for you. I am so glad you wrote this thread. No one knows what is best for one another, as the others have mentioned it is a personal journey.

What I think is wonderful it that you have "caught yourself" and you know that you want to get back on track. Try to realize how very important that is and build from there.

I know you can do it. This may sound crazy? but sometimes when I am trying to do something difficult like starting to change something in my life I visualize being someone else. Someone you admire that has made a change or that excels in something difficult. I think visualization can help. For me I think it helps in "digging down deep" to find that strength that is there is all of us.

Bonnie
bonnie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 274 / 216 / 150

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad you're here! I understand that frustration. I used to want a "snack", grab a bag of chips, and before I knew it that bag was gone.... and I don't mean the single serving size ones either. =\ It's really hard for me too because I'm also with my mom, who I might add is as skinny as a stick, and even though I stopped buying junk food months ago it's still in the house because she has cravings for it.... so I used to see it, and eat it. I kept having to tell myself no and force myself to pick up something healthy and not the bag of caramel popcorn. I'm actually finding that temptation to be a somewhat good thing now, because if I can control my cravings at home, then I can also control them when I go out with friends to a party where junk food is everywhere.

You have to find what works best for you, but my advice would be allow yourself snacks, just make them healthy snacks. Chobani greek yogurt with fruit has become my friend when a snack cravings hit.
Smiller264 is offline   Reply With Quote