Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/332/200

Height: 5'7

Default If low cal diets don't work, would Lap-Band work?

Sorry to post so many questions here. I'm on partial bedrest (pregnant) and I have all this time to think and research my questions online! LOL!

One of my biggest fears is getting WLS only to have it not work. Before I got pregnant, I was on a 1200 cal/day plan. I know my cal intake was consistent because it was a pre-packaged food plan (Diets to Go, if anyone is curious).

To anyone who hasn't been in this boat, I can imagine they would think I was lying or completely delusional... but in two months on this plan i lost ONE pound. I had weeks where I gained or lost nothing. And one pound, when you are over 300 lbs, can be nothing. It could easily be water weight. I went to a nutritionist who put me on a plan that didn't count calories, but rather counted carbs and focused on "balance". I gained weight. She was convinced I was cheating, but I can promise you I was not. I was even trying to eat a bit less than her plan called for because I KNEW I would gain and I KNEW she'd think I was lying. I'm sure there are doubters reading this, and I can understand why... but that is truly my experience. Perhaps years of dieting (including some pretty severe diets) has taken a toll on my metabolism.

So my fear is that I'll have WLS but not lose weight. (BTW, I've had my thyroid checked and I'm on meds for it. This hasn't helped my weight, though.) I really like the idea of the lap-band because it is the safest and least invasive... but if all it does is restrict calories, I'm afraid it won't work.

Is it possible to not lose weight with the lap-band, or are calories cut to a very low level (like 500 a day) where it is almost impossible not to lose? In my past experience, 500-800 calories a day is my "magic" number to lose weight.

Would someone in my shoes be better off with a different type of weight loss surgery. (Or a different approach all together?)

I know you all aren't (necessarily) doctors... but I'd love to hear your opinions. I'd especially love to hear from anyone who has a slower than average metabolism - has WLS worked for you?

Thanks so much for your time!! I really appreciate you guys!

Last edited by Mama; 01-07-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Have you had your thyroid tested? Often thryoid or other endocrine problems are responsible for metabolism dropping that low.

I'd have this checked before you pursue anything else.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Have you had your thyroid tested? Often thryoid or other endocrine problems are responsible for metabolism dropping that low.

I'd have this checked before you pursue anything else.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am hypothyriod, and I've been on Synthroid for many years. While my levels seem OK, my metabolism still seems slow. I have a pretty low body temperature (something I'm aware of from fertility charting!) I'm usually around 96.5 degrees when not pregnant. So I'm cold and slow. LOL!

Thyroid is a likely culprit, so thanks for mentioning it... but in my case, anyway, I don't think I can blame my thyroid because it's being controlled with meds. (And getting monitored regularly too!)
Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I am hypothyriod, and I've been on Synthroid for many years. While my levels seem OK, my metabolism still seems slow. I have a pretty low body temperature (something I'm aware of from fertility charting!) I'm usually around 96.5 degrees when not pregnant. So I'm cold and slow. LOL!

Thyroid is a likely culprit, so thanks for mentioning it... but in my case, anyway, I don't think I can blame my thyroid because it's being controlled with meds. (And getting monitored regularly too!)

My normal body temp isn't much higher than yours, and I'm also hypothyroid (but my levels are just above the point that my doctor is willing to medicate).

I've met a lot of hypothyroid folks who say that medications didn't raise their metabolism (at least not significantly). There seems to be two theories. One being tough luck, it's just the way it is, and the other being that optimal levels should be based not on the normality of the numbers, but on the person's symptoms (that is that medication type or dose should be adjusted until body temperature is closer to the average, and metabolic function is more normal). But since most doctors are only willing to medicate based on the hormone levels, you're still left with theory number one - "tough luck."

I have a friend who swears by "natural thyroid" (Armour thyroid). She says that synthroid got her blood levels normal, but only the Armour thyroid relieved her thyroid symptoms (fatigue, dry skin, low body temp, and sluggish metabolism).

The problem is many doctors aren't very keen on their patients changing to Armour thyroid, because they don't believe there's any logical reason that the natural would work better than the synthetic. I've heard good arguments on both sides, so I don't know what to believe.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-07-2010 at 07:29 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
My normal body temp isn't much higher than yours, and I'm also hypothyroid (but my levels are just above the point that my doctor is willing to medicate).

I've met a lot of hypothyroid folks who say that medications didn't raise their metabolism (at least not significantly). There seems to be two theories. One being tough luck, it's just the way it is, and the other being that optimal levels should be based not on the normality of the numbers, but on the person's symptoms (that is that medication type or dose should be adjusted until body temperature is closer to the average, and metabolic function is more normal). But since most doctors are only willing to medicate based on the hormone levels, you're still left with theory number one - "tough luck."

I have a friend who swears by "natural thyroid" (Armour thyroid). She says that synthroid got her blood levels normal, but only the Armour thyroid relieved her thyroid symptoms (fatigue, dry skin, low body temp, and sluggish metabolism).

The problem is many doctors aren't very keen on their patients changing to Armour thyroid, because they don't believe there's any logical reason that the natural would work better than the synthetic. I've heard good arguments on both sides, so I don't know what to believe.
Very interesting!! I've never heard about a difference between natural and synthetic hormones. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #6  

I've also heard that about armour thyroid...hmmm...something to check into Mama....I'm so sorry you are having to go through this! Stay strong!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't know anything about thyroid conditions, but my thyroid has always tested normal, and my normal body temperature is also 96.5 degrees! Maybe we're on to something here with low body temperatures and slow metabolisms...

Anyway, back to the question at hand. You asked for opinions, so here's mine: research the Duodenal Switch procedure. It results in the permanent malabsorption of calories (the RNY has some malabsorption, but after about 2 years, the intestines grow additional villi to absorb more calories, and caloric malabsorption is pretty much nil; the DS has more malabsorption, and the body is never able to fully compensate via villi, so caloric malabsorption remains).

What this means is, if you're malabsorbing calories, you could eat, say, 1500 calories a day, but, depending on what types of food you're eating, your body would only absorb a fraction of those calories. The only calories you would absorb at 100% are simple carbs (sugar, white flour, etc.) - there is no surgery that malabsorbs simple carbs.

You have to be willing to accept the tradeoff, though, of taking vitamins at least 3-4 times per day and being vigilant and educated about your labs.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Is it possible to not lose weight with the lap-band, or are calories cut to a very low level (like 500 a day) where it is almost impossible not to lose? In my past experience, 500-800 calories a day is my "magic" number to lose weight.
Good questions Mama

Is is possible to not lose weight with the lap-band? ... the answer is YES. You can even gain weight with the lap-band (I'm proof). The Lap-band is a tool, not a cure (just like any weight loss surgery). You still have to diet, exercise and follow your doctors guidelines.

Lap-band will help you lose weight by restricting the amount of food you can eat... but if your eating ice cream, cakes, greasy foods, grazing all day, etc... its simple, you will not lose weight.

500-800 calories a day IMHO is not healthy. In the beginning right after surgery you will be eating as little as that but then as you heal you'll need to eat more .... 1,200 or even more.

Keep the questions coming... its really good to know the good, bad and ugly with each surgery, this way nothing surprises you.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

personally I think you need to look into the malabsorptive surgeries such as RNY or DS...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote