Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #1  

Default Free weights vs machines

I consistently work out at home and I have the Bowflex Select Tech weights so I am able to lift pretty heavy and do all sorts of different exercises. I am debating whether or not I want to join a gym. I have a week long free trial and I tried out some of the machines. Some were good, some were awkward, and some I just have no idea what to do with. (I'm sure I made a fool of myself trying to figure it out, so I'm hoping I'll get a "tour" of the machines with an overview of how to use them if I join).
I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback as far as free weights vs the machines. Is it worth me spending the money just to use the machines and take some classes? (I have cardio equipment and cardio dvd's at home). I've heard that the machines are less effective so maybe I'm better off sticking with the weights.
Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

You can look at the stickied thread above here to see why. That's not to say there are no machines that are useful, but more why they shouldn't be your whole workout.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

If you work out consistently at home with free weights, there really is no need for you to bother with machines.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #4  

Thanks for the article!!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #5  
Suzy

Machines are less effective for getting results then free weights. Also you don’t have to use only barbells or dumbbells, workouts with kettlebells, logs, boulders are also great for increasing metabolism.

Also with free weights your body will follow it’s natural line of motion and your body will stabilize the weight, but with machines it doesn’t because the machines do it for you, this restricts you from doing a fixed pattern. Additionally this can lead to injury because you don’t use your important stabilizing muscles.

Most often you place your spine in a dangerous position because not training it enough, whereas with free weights you would because it needs to stabilize.

I had really great results with free weights and I’m 42 now and working out at home, I’ve lost my fat and maintain it now by changing workouts every month but only weight lifting, and some ab exercises.
Suzy123 is offline   Reply With Quote