Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Can no longer tolerate sweets?

I had a brownie tonight. It wasn't the result of an uncontrolled craving or anything, I had a low cal day, and I thought I'd treat myself to a small brownie. I was even told that it was low fat...some low fat/sugar mix where you just add low fat yogurt. Anyways, I'm not GUILTY about eating the brownie.

But my tummy has been upset ever since. Kind of on the verge of nauseous feeling. The thought of eating another brownie or anything else sweet makes my stomach turn.

I've been "off" of sweets for about two months ago. I simply cut them out to avoid temptation. I'm an all or nothing kind of person, and if I bought a bag of mini candy bars or something with plans to eat one a week, I'd eat the whole bag in a day or two, lol. After the first week or two, my cravings went away for the most part. Again, I didn't feel guilty about the brownie, I felt that I was at a point where I could enjoy the treat and be satisfied with it. And I was. But now my tummy is upset...could I have become overly sensitive to sugar (other than fructose and sugars in whole foods) since I've been without it for a few months?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Totally possible. I'm definitely also an all-or-nothing person as well. I stopped soda when I started my weight loss. I'll have it when I'm not feeling well to calm my stomach, but not really any other time. It's too sweet to me anymore since I only drink water and milk.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #3  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

i agree, totally possible. you have gotten your body so used to eating healthy that it didn't know what to do when you gave it a brownie! That's pretty cool if you think about it...
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

This happened when I gave up soda. I was never a huge soda person, didn't grow up drinking it all the tune or anything, but I knew it was unhealthy and isn't want the temptation. The one time I had a few gulp of VGA sofa I had tummy cramps for a lonnnng time!

Or, it could just be a coincidence. Ya never know, unfortunately!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #5  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Honestly, I kinda wish that would happen to me....

I should be an all or nothing kind of gal! Sweets can be a big bump for me... I trip easily! Yikes... Today seemed like that with a no bake cookie! Stupid cookie! eh, I have tracked it so it's cool....

It sounds like you might want to eat sweets much... that will probably be a bonus to your weight loss, eh?
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

I know what you're talking about! I had a piece of birthday cake a couple months ago (spice cake with a little frosting) and although it wasn't very sweet, my body wasn't used to the sugar and I had the most horrible headache.

Talk about motivation to not eat sweets....geeeeez!
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 AM   #7  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Thanks guys, glad I'm not just going crazy

I drank a glass of water and a glass of milk and felt better. It's definitely incentive to not cheat with sweets though! Even if it was just a coincidence, I think my brain is tricked that sugar = unpleasant...at least for awhile.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think it may have been the chemicals or preservatives rather than just the sugar--were the brownies made from a mix? Pretty scary when our bodies start to reject 80% of the items on supermarket shelves! I feel like crapola after eating too many processed items--the next morning I have sort of a "hangover" effect--dry mouth and kind of "not with it" completely feeling.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Had you eaten anything before that? If I have sweets (anything from a piece of candy/chocolate, ice cream, a brownie, etc) on an empty or mostly empty stomach I get horribly nauseous. I've never been a huge fan of sugar though, which is odd since I'm a Pastry Chef I guess...lol But if it was a low fat kind maybe it had aspertame or something that made you feel icky? Any sweeteners like that also make me really sick.
vmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I love sweets..... darnit....
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I think it may have been the chemicals or preservatives rather than just the sugar--were the brownies made from a mix? Pretty scary when our bodies start to reject 80% of the items on supermarket shelves! I feel like crapola after eating too many processed items--the next morning I have sort of a "hangover" effect--dry mouth and kind of "not with it" completely feeling.
That's a good point. If you think about what you put in brownies home-made (cocoa, sugar, flour, egg..ect) it's pretty basic, but the mixes always have a paragraph of cryptic ingredients.

I also think that your body can reject refined sugar, as it isn't in a form that our bodies REALLY know how to process and digest.
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

I always get the sugar = disgusting thing after I stop eating sugar for about a month. But lo and behold once I eat sugar a few times again and I think I'm immune to it's charms within a week I morph back into the cookie monster :/ Only taken about 10 years to figure this one out...
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote