Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Default My fiance wants to start calorie counting!

Hey guys, so my fiance wants to jump on the calorie counting bandwagon with me

He is 6'4 and weighs about 300 pounds and I'm trying to help him find the right amount of calories. I understand that the only way we will know for sure is by trial and error but I want him to have a good starting point. According to his bmr and activity information, it says that to lose 2 pounds a week he must consume about 2700 calories. This seems like an awful lot to me.

When we counted up what he normally eats it does not seem like he goes above that, even over-counting certain things. Of course there is a possibility that he isn't counting EVERYTHING but I tried to get it all out of him (ketchup etc lol). I told him to try and stay around 2500 for now and he sees the 2700 as a maximum, and plans to stay well below that. I don't want him to get too discouraged when he doesn't lose anything on that amount.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has had some experience with this. I realize there aren't that many men on this board, though.

Thanks in advance!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I like calorie counting, and use a website like The daily Plate or Fitday to keep track of it all. I sometimes get a little obsessed, planning a day ahead, but that keeps me on track. Those websites also recommend calorie amounts depending on your age, weight, height etc.

The user Botzz (correct me if I'm wrong) is a man who has successfully lost a lot of weight with calorie amounts similar to 2700 methinks. Men are different than us His blog is really great, keeps it real, so maybe yourfiance would find it inspiring.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

There are a number of men on the forums and successful, too ,in losing weight. What is your fiances goal weight? That will have a bearing on how many calories he needs.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #4  

livestrong.com
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Thank you for replying

souvenirdarling: I have seen botzz' blog and I think it his progress is amazing. Maybe he could shed some light for us

bargoo: My fiance's goal weight, for now, is 250. He is verrry muscular and holds his weight extremely well. I think he is planning on reassessing his goal when he gets to 250, though.

Last edited by jkinboston89; 01-03-2010 at 10:07 PM.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #6  
Sing it

S/C/G: 197.4(07)/175 (10)/170.2/161

Height: 5'4"

In addition to using 3FC you might want to send him to Men's Health website or something like that. One of the articles they had once said that men should consume the amount of calories for the body weight they WANT to be. To find that out, there's a mess of calorie calculators out there. Also, add in a cheat day so DF doesn't freak out on lower calories than he's been on.
On the flip side, congrats to you for motivating him and congrats to him for wanting to make a change!
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote