Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #1  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Almost 7 lbs in 1 1/2 - 2 weeks?!

Ok so I weighed myself this morning. Last time I weighed myself I was 267 and today I was 260? How is that even possible? But I also found out that my old scale is 2lbs heavier then my new digital so My start weight was actually 265 and im at 258. Is it normal to lose that much that fast in the beginning?
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It can be. Not everyone does, but it's pretty common to lose a lot in the first few weeks.

A lot of it is water weight. That's not to dismiss the water loss as unimportant - it's almost as good for you to be carrying less water around than it is to be carrying less fat around. On the other hand, you can (and can afford to) only lose so much water - and when the weight loss slows it can seem be abrupt enough to feel like you must be doing something wrong to be suddenly losing so less than when you started.

It can be tempting to do crazy stuff to try to recapture the "high" of the weight coming off that fast. It can become a spiral that's hard to break without giving up entirely. As long as you're prepared for the eventual slowdown of loss, keep a level head and use common sense, there's nothing to worry about, and you'll do fine.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I lost about 12 pounds my first week. Be prepared for it slow down, and quickly. My husband lost 9 his first week and was then disappointed with a subsequent 2 lb loss, and he should have been ecstatic. My own weight loss slowed down to 2 lbs per week, then I had 2 weeks of .2 pound losses and then suddenly after TOM, I had an 8 lb whoosh.

I suggest looking around the site. I stumbled into a couple challenge threads in which people posted their weekly weight losses. It's very encouraging to browse the average losses, gains, maintenances, etc. Everyone seems to have a pattern.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's VERY normal. We carry a lot of excess water weight and that's one of the first things that get flushed out when starting a weight loss program, which is needed and is fine.

Yes, it more than likely WILL slow down. Be prepared for it. You keep plugging away and plugging away and chipping away at the pounds and each and every excess one WILL come off - eventually. FOCUS on the good eating behaviors and the scale (your body actually) will in turn take care of the rest. In other words try to not sweat (focus on) the numbers so much. It's all about focusing on the behaviors. Getting these new and healthy habits ingrained in us.

And don't worry about when you hear people say that it's health-iest to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week. That's for *smaller* folks. When starting out at heavier weights, like I did, those numbers are irrelevant.

Keep up the great work. I look forward to hearing of your continued progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #5  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh ok good to know! I knew you lose weight faster in the beginning but I never expected that lol I'm shooting for about 2lbs a week if I can I'm not trying for anything higher, unless it happens on its own! lol
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Enjoy it while it lasts- first two weeks I lost like 8 lbs
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I would say that's normal. I lost my first 10 lbs pretty quickly.. I think my body was in shock because I went from the most unhealthy eater to watching my calories, and I think some of it was probably water weight too.

I'm about halfway through, and the last 2 weeks I've lost 8 lbs total. (????) I haven't been working out like I was, so I think it's when I make drastic changes to my diet/exercise routine that my body drops weight quickly. I guess that's it anyway.

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 12-31-2009 at 01:19 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote