Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Maybe more? Confused...

So I've maintained an 80 or so pound loss for more than a year now, at 1,600-1,700 counted calories a day. But I'm wondering if I couldn't eat more...

I'm still working out five days a week (30 min. cardio per day, weights 3 times a week - a total 45-50 minute workout on weight days). I keep track of calories eaten and burned on Sparkpeople, and use a Polar HRM. During the month of December, according to my HRM, I burned:

Week 1 - 2,039 cals
Week 2 - 2,104 cals
Week 3 - 2,043 cals
Week 4 - 2,276 cals
So far this week with one day left - 1,490

On Sparkpeople it always gives me a notice that my calories consumed may not be enough for that much working out...but I have this FEAR of raising it.

I've said to myself time and time again that I CAN eat more. There are days when I eat snacks at work that don't get recorded....I HAVE to be eating more those days without gaining. But when it comes to seeing the number I've got this BLOCK in my brain.

Part of me thinks that if I wasn't eating enough I'd still be losing weight. But then there's another part that reminds me that during my weight loss I hit a point where I wasn't losing BECAUSE I didn't eat enough. I don't WANT to lose more, but I wonder if I can't EAT more?

If I input my weekly calories burned manually at Sparkpeople, it suggests 1,760-2,050 calories a day. Don't know if I can trust it.

I know to most people it SEEMS easy...just eat more and if I gain a little, I can lose it again. I mean, I did it before, right? I'm just terrified that if I SEE the gain I'll slip down that big, long slope again and end up right where I started.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:24 AM   #2  
Meg

Mindi, you already know that the only way you'll find out the answer to your question is to experiment.

But I totally understand the fear that's holding you back. None of us want to go back to where we were and that's what a gain represents to us. We all get it; we all have the same fears.

What if we come up with a plan for you? Not a free-for-all, but a plan with contingencies about what to do if you start gaining.

What if:

1. you count EVERY calorie, even snacks. The only way you'll ever know your actual maintenance calories is to honestly record everything.

2. you raise your calories to 1800 for a week

3. and keep your workouts the same?

Then you weigh yourself, come back here, and tell us what happened. We can all evaluate, brainstorm and then come up with a plan for Week Two, depending on what happens with Week One. You won't be alone and it won't be any kind of out-of-control experience.

Will you give it one week? I promise you that nothing bad or irreversible can happen in a week! And wouldn't it be cool if you can eat more and still maintain?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #3  

It'd be much more than cool if I could....and you're right...it's not totally irreversible after ONLY a week...

I'll try it, starting my "week" on Sunday....I'll up calories for a week and get back to being strict with calorie counting...
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #4  
Meg

I have a feeling that you may be in for a very pleasant surprise.

The important thing is to stay accountable and feel like you're still in control. Keep posting about what's happening. There isn't any way that you can head back down that slippery slope if you're still in charge and making smart decisions. And we've got your back.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #5  

I really hope I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm also really ready for life at work to get back to "normal" without the CONSTANT flow of holiday treats. It's hard working for the community newspaper...the people who like us brought us a TON of "gifts" like chocolate covered pretzels (LOVE THEM), homemade peanut patties, chocolate toffees, etc. Then the women I work with keep on bringing stuff (once they bought 10 POUNDS of chocolate candy and brought it up there). But they go through an "I want to lose weight" period at the start of every year...

I'll keep posting and see what happens. Thanks, Meg!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Mindi, I think Meg's plan sounds great! Do let us know how it goes!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #7  
Meg

Count me in on being excited about life without constant treats!!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm interested to see how you do also! But do stay with the 1800 for the entire week... that is, if you have a blip upward after a couple days, hang in there! Don't panic!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Sounds like a great plan. At least than you'll know - one way or the other.

And may I just add that it's times like these (the holidays) that I am even that much more overjoyed to work out of my home. I give you guys SO much credit. I really don't think I could refrain from those goodies. Wow. Just wow. No, I'm pretty certain I couldn't do it. Major kudos to all of you. My hat's off to you all.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Mindi, I hope your plan goes well for you. Try to approach it with peacefulness and a relaxed intent. This is just an experiment that you are trying for a week. I do hope that you will find a comfortable way of eating for the rest of your life. I look forward to hearing how it goes.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #11  
Workin' It

Mindi - I agree, raise the calories a little and see what happens. I know that it is easier said than done with the little voice in the back of your head talking about weight gain. Hang in there.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #12  

Default Sunday....didn't make it

Topped out at 1,689 for Sunday, but weekends are hard for me. Starting tomorrow, here's the plan...1,753 is the total, and I may throw in some green beans at supper...

Breakfast - 275
Quaker Quick minute Oatmeal plain 0.75 cup 225
NSA hot cocoa mix (chocolate oatmeal!) 50

Lunch - 450
Campbell's Chunky Healthy Request Savory Vegetable 2 cups 240
Premium Saltines 120
Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran and What Flour Pita Bread 60
Philadelphia Fat Free Cream Cheese 30

Dinner - 810
Homemade Spinach Greek Style Pizza (4 pieces) 680
Sweet Corn 80
Schwan's Trim Creations Chocolate Fudge Stick 50

Snacks
Banana (small) 93
1/2 Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran and What Flour Pita w/1 tbsp peanut butter 125

Almost 1,800....Gosh it hurts!! I'm already worried about it, but I think it will be ok...
Old 01-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #13  

End of day 1...feel the same as always. It was weird SEEING where the calories are coming from, since I once again started tracking EVERYTHING I ate today. I deviated from the plan a little, but accounted for it and made changes later to stay in range. I did make it to just over 1,800 calories. GOSH it was hard. Sticker shock, if you will....

Without all the mindless eating and empty calorie snacks, I was able to eat a lot more REAL food, which was strange. I felt like I was eating a ton, but I know deep down it's no more than I was eating and NOT counting before.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #14  
Meg

Interesting about being able to eat more real food! That's a unexpected plus. Keep up the good work, Mindi, and we're all looking forward to your updates.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #15  

But of course, as soon as I think I CAN do this without the frivolous snacking...a lady walks in the door at work with a huge TUB of white chocolate covered cookies. Not just regular cookies either. If that was the case, I could work one into my day and be fine. No...these are miniature little bite sized cookies - the ones you can eat a handful of and not even realize you've eaten anything. Grrrr.....

Today's calorie total is 1,804. I've figured I can eat a bigger breakfast than normal, followed by a lunch based on the size of dinner. Tonight the husband wants beef tamales, but I looked at the calorie count on those things and will be skipping it. I'll instead be eating bean and rice tacos made with whole wheat pita halves, with some baked Tostitos chips and salsa. Yum.

No undue gains yet...139 this morning. Doesn't mean much, but makes me happy to see...