Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/186/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Weight loss commercials

It's that time of year again where the diet commercials and ads for weight loss centers and plans are flooding the airwaves. I heard a particularly funny one yesterday...This female tells how she lost 40 lbs and kept it off without changing a single thing she did except take whatever xyz product it was that was being advertised. I feel bad that people spend hard earned money on products that just dont work.

I have people ask me all the time how I've lost the weight I have and I tell them there is no big secret to it. I eat right (but not 100% of the time) and I exercise as much as I can possibly fit in. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't. But I keep trying and I don't let the weight come back on!
drivingwithbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I think it's sad too... many times the print saying "this product along with diet and exercise..." is overlooked because it's soo darn small!

Then there's the tiny print that talks about how the results of the spokespeople are not typical! How about getting us some people we can relate to, where the results ARE typical.
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensempress View Post
I think it's sad too... many times the print saying "this product along with diet and exercise..." is overlooked because it's soo darn small!

Then there's the tiny print that talks about how the results of the spokespeople are not typical! How about getting us some people we can relate to, where the results ARE typical.
exactly!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #4  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

Yes, been there done that. What was I thinking??! HUGE waste of money. But the things they're coming out with now-a-days, R-E-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S!!!
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Heheh speaking of which, I just saw a commercial for Taco Bells new drive thru diet.. someone lost 50 pounds because she didn't "wanna cut out fast food," she says, "my results aren't typical but for me they're fabulous" or something like that. I feel really bad for people. I know people who will get the special tacos that are not great for you to begin with, and then they'll think they did something great by eating healthy so that means that they can gorge on junk food the rest of the day.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #6  

I saw that Taco Bell commercial today for the first time, I couldn't believe it! You just reminded me to check out the website they mentioned... I'm interested more in how they're slinging this stuff.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have not seen that commercial yet! lol I gotta go see if youtube or the tacobell website has it....that's ridiculous
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #8  

I went to drivethrudiet.com and it talks about how she reduced her calories by 500 a day- to 1,250 and lost 54 pounds over 2 years. It really has nothing to do with taco Bell helping her do it.

But some of their drive thru diet menu looks good! lol... the problem is I can have myself lots more mexican food for 300 calories then ordering there if I make it myself at home.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Just gotta throw in there, I'm at least glad Taco Bell has a lighter menu! I think the Fresco style stuff is great. There are times that we all run into an occasion for fast food and we've discovered we can have a burrito-less bowl at Chipotle and eat 1/3 of it to stay on target or ONE Fresco style soft taco at taco bell with an apple. That's about it so far. LOL! And Taco Bell lists their nutritional information on their drive-up menu, which is something I wish they all did. The thing that amuses me is that I hadn't noticed the Fresco menu until just recently as Jan. 1 approaches. What, like we shouldn't all be more aware of our nutrition intake the rest of the year?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I completely agree about restaurants posting their nutritional information. I think it's necessary so I'm glad taco bell is doing it. I understand that people sometimes end up at fast food places for whatever reason and are stuck trying to stay on plan, but I think a taco bell diet is just a little silly. Especially since, as bensempress said, the woman reduced her calories to 1250, which for many people is just too little. It also has nothing to do with taco bell lol, but I am glad that they post nutritional info!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

When I have found myself at Taco Bell because a friend wanted to go there, I have ordered food from the regular menu--and thanks to knowing their calorie counts, I know what to order to stay within my calories.

On the subject of fast weight loss gimmicks, I tried a certain supplement for a couple of months years ago, and as far as I can tell, the only thing that was lighter was my wallet.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinboston89 View Post
I understand that people sometimes end up at fast food places for whatever reason and are stuck trying to stay on plan, but I think a taco bell diet is just a little silly.
Actually, the taco bell diet is supposed to be kind of silly. I read an article about it and they're not actually advertising a taco bell diet, they're just using that platform to advertise the healthier options on their menu and they're poking a little fun at Subway while they're at it (since subway always markets itself as the anti-fast food).

Last edited by Bombe; 12-29-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #13  

Always take restaurant posted nutritional information with a grain of salt. It depends on who makes it. Cooks don't weigh each ingredient or portion so that it exactly fits the nutritional profile.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote