Old 12-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/172/145

Height: 5'4

Default Hello, new and overwhelmed....help!!

I am just going to start talking, not sure where I'm heading!! I was diagnosed Insulin Resistance last year and am on Metformin. I am not watching my diet and feel totally miserable. I'm also addicted to caffeine. I know that my symptoms (irrtable, anxious, depressed, mood swings) are most likely related to my diet and lack of exercise. I just feel so overwhelmed and need support. No one else in my family has this Insulin resistant stuff, they can eat what they want and do not understand, some kind of laugh it off like I'm making a big deal of nothing. Hmm, that's it for now, just wanted throw myself in here, thanks for reading
pinkeetoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #2  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Ready to face reality

I'm new here too. This is my first post. I was lurking here in July and started my own Fatoff, but then tore cartilage in my knee and am now finally going to get back to it (very nervous about re-injuring the knee).

pinkeetoz--A couple of things occurred to me in reading your post. First, reduce your caffeine by mixing it 50/50 regular and decaf. You'll still get some caffeine to prevent headaches and will be able to get yourself down, if not off it, more easily that way. One thing I do to consume less caffeine is do and activity (clean the closet?) in the morning to keep me from going straight to the coffee--prolong it long enough, and sometimes you find you don't even miss it. Drink a glass a water between each cup too. You should be anyway, so make yourself drink that water and get a cup of coffee as a reward!

The other thing that you must get over (I know this because it is my own cross to bear) is that "no one else in my family" story. It totally sucks that my sister can consume twice the food I do and still be thinner than me. But that's her and I'm me. The same rules don't apply. As soon as we stop expecting them to, and stop being resentful of it, the sooner we can get to work on figuring out what rules apply to us.

I don't know anything about Insulin Resistance, only that every single person has their own personal impediment to reaching their goals. For some it's money troubles, some love problems, some body image issues. Some people have many of these things they sabotage their lives with to prevent their own happiness.

The one thing I do know is that it is all in the mind. Every little bit of it, from physical ailments, to money problems, to being overweight. We sabotage ourselves with bum knees and Insulin Resistance (and bad choices of jobs, lovers, etc.) and there we find our excuses for not being able to reach our goals and find our happiness.

The goal then, is to figure out what, how and why we are doing these things, and put an end to it. What it all comes down to is self worth. Obviously, we know our goals are achievable, as we both registered on this forum that has others to help inspire and motivate us.

I don't have a big plan on how I'm going to lose weight. I am going to enjoy the Christmas goodies I still have, but try to enjoy them like a normal person does, (eat one or two each day) not like a fat person does (eat three or four, then sneak more throughout the day). I know that when I deprive myself, I get bitter and whiny. It does not help me lose weight and makes me miserable to be around. I don't eat processed food, fast food, drink soda, or otherwise eat garbage, But I love good food and eat too big of portions.

My mini goals are to stop eating when I'm not hungry, and cut way back on the carbs. I will not give them up. I love them. They make me happy and they are my friend. We just have to learn to live together in a more healthy manner. Exercise is my next door neighbor, but is about to move in to my house. I'm looking forward to a healthy happy household with good food in appropriate portions and lots of exercise so I can still eat butter and cream.

What are your mini goals. Ya gotta start somewhere.
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

hi pinkeetoz and louisa

I'm also a newbie, just signed up yesterday although I started this journey on 11/2.

pinkee - a friend of mine has IR and yes, it's very hard to lose weight with that. The metformin should definitely be a help for you once you can get on the right path with food. She's lost 30 lbs by being strict about not eating sugar, refined carbs, etc. It's been a slow journey for her, and harder than for some others, but the bottom line is that she is starting off 2010 weighing 30 lbs less than a year ago and that's an amazing victory.

That's the kind of focus I'm trying to have too - every pound gone is a victory and I'm not putting some artificial time frame on when I'll get to my final goal. I'll just keep making good choices and I know I'll get there eventually.

I definitely agree with Louisa about how inspiring this place is - I've been reading bits and pieces on lots of different parts and there are people successfully losing weight at all ages, with all sorts of medical conditions and physical limitations and people losing 100, even 200 lbs. I don't even know them, but I know that if they can do it, so can I!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #4  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

one day at a time my new friend Pinkee...

know IR, was on Metformin, now switched to another it's rough...and yeah it sucks.

Okay, now that that's out of your system, don't let it be a wall that stops you...find what works for you and keep moving, one day at a time make changes. Don't worry about what you'll be doing 6 months from now, look at today. what choices can you make that are better...tomorrow, you think about tomorrow...move your body more, make better, healthier food choices, and take it as it comes...

...come here for support and friendship - and check in often. We'll hold your hand through the good and the bad..

..and just remember, you aren't alone. You CAN DO IT..maybe the hand you were dealt sucks, but it doesn't mean you can't make change.

Cheers, Deb
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

pinkee, Peanuts, and Louisa - welcome aboard! Glad to see you posting instead of lurking! Posting is where the "action" starts and you begin doing things to improve your health instead of thinking about them. Most powerful quote I ever came across: "Action is the antidote for despair".

There are going to be challenges ... your "lizard brain", your genetics, your family, your culture. On 3FC you will find people who've found ways to overcome them, and their knowledge is free for the taking. Ask, ask, ask, ask - there is always someone who's been where you are and can suggest strategies.

Don't forget, too, to check in with the Maintainers. WHEN you are successful with getting where you want to go, the work truly begins. You'll spend more time maintaining that loss than you will losing it, so take a little time each visit to understand those hurdles now. That way you won't be fighting the yo-yo.

The deck is stacked against your health in many ways, but it's SO worth it to put yourself first and join us on this trip! Get selfish ... YOU DESERVE TO BE FIT, HEALTHY AND HAPPY! Seriously!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Pinkeetoz...breathe, baby, breathe! Hi (and hi, Phat Dawn, nice to see you over here too!) and welcome to 3FC. Pink, you're already on the road to winning. Look what you already know:
1. You're IR.
2. Your diet and caffeine jones is out of control.
3. You're not exercising enough.
4. Poor exercise and diet directly aggravates your IR and can lead to full-blown Type 2 diabetes, BUT...
5. IR can be reversed. Diabetes is preventable. You can be fit and healthy, oh yes you can! Celebrate!

You know the facts, now you can start tackling them one small bit at a time. It's your personal journey, not your skinny family's. Don't have to cross the finish line any time soon. Stick with 3 Fat Chicks. Keep coming back for encouragement. Ain't nuthin' but a thing. You CAN do this, and you WILL.

Go Pinkeetoz! Go Pinkeetoz! Go Pinkeetoz! Goooooooo, Toze!
Losing80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Welcome, everyone. I can't say anything better than what's already been said, but wanted to throw in my welcome, too.

One day, one choice at a time. Take it slow, making small changes. They'll start adding up before you know it!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #8  

Wow! Welcome everyone!
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome to all the newcomers. This is a great place and I hope you will all join us or some other forum here regularly. Support is an important part of successful weight loss.

Pinkeetoz: I'm going to give you your first piece of medical advice because I'm qualified to do that. Being insulin resistant doesn't mean you can't lose weight, it just means it might be a little harder for you. You are going to have your most success if you chose either a low carb or a low glycemic plan as they are designed to control insulin levels. If you need help figuring out what those are-let me or someone else know and we will point you in the right direction. If you get serious about this, you may actually be able to get off that metformin but you will need to watch your diet forever-but that's the point, isn't it. The more important thing is you will hopefully avoid all the other problems that come with insulin resistance-hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, gout (if you are predisposed), sleep apnea, and increasingly there is evidence that Alzheimer's disease is related to insulin resistance. Good luck-we are here for you. Let us know how we can help.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #10  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to all you newbies! On the topic of IR, I'm right there with you. The best thing I've done is to see a nutritional counselor who specializes in prediabetes/diabetes. One of the biggest things I'm struggling with is that I don't eat enough calories...based on my weight and activity level I should be aiming for 1400-1600 calories a day. I do see and feel a difference if I do that and do it by eating the right foods....am struggling to give up eating out/ordering in almost every night. I HAVE pretty much given up fast food which is a big plus. There is a support forum for diabetes/ir that I check into occasionally.
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #11  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Sometimes when I'm wallowing in how hard it is to lose weight for whatever reason satisfies my pity pot, I think of my sister who lost a leg to diabetes. If that isn't motivation to get your diet in check, imagining how hard it would be to lose weight without both legs to exercise will usually do the trick, and leave me thankful for what I know, and what I'm able to do.

Posting here, with everyone to else here to hold us accountable is great motivation to stick to the plan, and we're already making progress because as ICUwishing noted, we're posting and not just lurking. I'm on the January challenge for 10 pounds and can't wait to start seeing results--that's where the real motivation kicks in.

Happy New Year!
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/183/110

Height: 5' 1"

Wow Pinkeetoz, you sound just like me! I'm just starting out as well and am also IR and prescribed glucophage (metformin) and synthroid for my thyroid. I need to get back on track as well to take my meds and get my butt moving. I know that will be a big step in the right direction. For now, I'm low carbing, because I know that it works for me and will also help control my insulin levels...altho I just love carbs and sweets, I have to learn to love myself first.
Litllam88 is offline   Reply With Quote