Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/186/135

Height: 5'3"

Default What Not to Wear on The Learning Channel

I don't know if any of you watch this show but I've become a dedicated fan. I've completely changed my wardrobe taking into account the tips they give about fit and cut in clothes and how well fit clothes subtracts weight from a person's looks. The two hosts of the show help people who are size 0's up through plus sizes and it is amazing how the individual transforms.

They quickly tell you that it doesn't matter what size you are, you can still look good in clothes and forget being plus sized and having to basically wear tents for clothing.
drivingwithbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I like it too.

I think Clinton and Stacy are pretty great. Not perfect, but great. I do think they should more directly address bras for every woman!

But the hair is pretty hit or miss (and do they have to color *everyone's* hair? is a woman who doesn't spend a lot of time, money and care on getting and maintaining colored hair really such a freak of nature?), and I rarely think the makeup is good. They usually *look* made up.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'9

I love the show!!
I wish someone would nominate me just so I could go shopping in NYC... and they could tell me all of the right things to buy
CollegeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I watch it often and now when I am clothes shopping I always have in the back of mind what they tell people. Don't be afraid to try something you normally would not try on. So now, I try things I never would have thought would look good and I am surprised that sometimes it does not look half bad.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

I like What Not To Wear, also. The British version is awesome but I don't get BBC America anymore. I agree with Julie about the hair and makeup; usually the makeup is a little too "tarty" for me but sometimes it really makes a nice difference. And it breaks my heart to see some of those girls crying when their hair gets chopped off; I don't really think that everyone needs a drastic haircut to look different.

And I agree 100% about the bras. Most of us look like we've lost 10 pounds once we get the girls lifted up where they belong!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

I love the show, but I do think their hair and make up are based for girls that are very low maintenance. A lot of their outfits I love, some I don't, but overall their tips are wonderful. I think there's an epidemic of people in this country that under-dress and wear pajamas outside.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #7  

I think its a pretty good show. The hair always seems to look more matronly and some of these women are young. They really need to make them have better hair styles. Some of the makeovers are great while others are not. I dont believe in making a beautiful 20-something look like a dowdy 40-something. Some of the older women...they have made to look younger and more vibrant and I love that! So...for me its hit or miss sometimes.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I do like the show. I learned that a short person like me looks best in a dark wash, straight leg jean. I took their advice and bought a couple of pair. They are right. I look almost like I have long legs, they are definitely more flattering than what I have bought in the past. About the hair styles, everybody seems to come out with the same haircut ! They have a new stylist now , so maybe that will change.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #9  

Height: 5'11"

Yeah, I like the new stylist. He seems to actually care about what the woman wants and to take that into consideration. I wouldn't let Nick (the old stylist) near me with a pair of scissors, especially when he went through the period where he wore his own hair in a mass of long, greasy curls.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #10  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Yes! The old hair guy only seemed capable of "mom hair". But I think Carmindy does pretty makeup. Very tasteful compared to what some of the participants come in wearing.

I do wonder at the number of people who agree to go on the show and then are super resistant to the new clothes. They get some very "free spirits" on there...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

Definitely. I totally shop with WWSACD in my mind (what would stacy and clinton do)
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I do like the show. I learned that a short person like me looks best in a dark wash, straight leg jean. I took their advice and bought a couple of pair. They are right. I look almost like I have long legs, they are definitely more flattering than what I have bought in the past. About the hair styles, everybody seems to come out with the same haircut ! They have a new stylist now , so maybe that will change.
Wide leg and dark rinse jeans have been my savior. I have a terrible time fitting in jeans (no butt, no hips, tummy). The wide leg jeans are easier to fit so long as they fit you in the butt and crotch. I bought a pair of straight leg as well, but they haven't come in the mail yet.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

Default ...

I LOVE What Not to Wear. Also - the Tim Gunn show. Too bad I don't know the real name - I'm just obsessed with Tim Gunn. He's fantastically, brutally honest, and it's HIS voice I try to hear when I'm considering that chenille sack-o-sweater. (Not that there is a thing wrong with chenille, or sack-o-sweaters; they're just horrid on me.)
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

WNTW is one of my favorite shows!

I am always bummed when I don't like the final outcome because I live for transformation moments. :-))

One thing, though, I had a mini depression over turning 35 (last week) because Stacy said when you turn 35 you should no longer wear miniskirts. I just started losing weight at age 34 so I haven't had much time to go mini! :-( So, I'm always self-consious about wearing any sort of short skirt or dress.

This might be one rule that I just have to break now and again. lol!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Some things are harder to pull off as we get older, but simple age based rules are ridiculous.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote