Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/146/125

Height: 5'4''

Default Dieting with Diabetes Winter 2009/2010

Let's start a discussion for the winter!

My question:
I was diagnosed with type I, but am in the honeymoon phase. I think the honeymoon phase is over (sugars 250-300 for the last week). I cannot see my endocrinologist until the first week in January and have called the doctor twice, not receiving a call back.

A nurse at a local clinic said that 250-300 is bad, but not dangerous...I cannot believe our health care system is so bad that I'm going to have to wait a month to see the doctor. I might call today and try to find a different doctor.

Until I see a doctor, what do you suggest? The 250-300 is resting, so if I eat a sandwich it will go up to the 450's. I haven't been eating many carbs and have been very lethargic, tired, and weak.

Thanks for any help...calling lots of doctors today. :0(
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #2  
Rising from the ashes....

Height: 5'5"

Default Be seen

Please do find another doctor to evaluate your blood sugar elevation. Even if you return to your regular doctor.

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/146/125

Height: 5'4''

I have an appointment today at 1:30 with an internal medicine doctor. I hope he can help! Thank you for your support!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

FIRSTLY, I am glad to hear you have an appointment to see a doctor. It is sometimes so confusing becuz doctors (and nurses) tell us to get to them right away if our BSL's (blood sugar levels) are over 7.0 (or 112) here in Canada. In the US, they say 15-18 (or 250-300) isn't dangerous, but here they would say that definitely needs to be addressed.

I know if you are sick (with some other illness), your BSL's can go up significantly, so you have to rule that out first. It is even more confusing when one doctor says they want you to keep your levels under 7 (or 112), but another says only under 9 (or 144). When you say 'resting' reading -- I guess you mean in between meals; as a 'fasting' reading would be after an 8 hour sleep and no eating at all.

Also, some people's body will produce too much insulin (causing their BSL's to rise) if they don't eat enuff! My sister has that problem becuz she has IBS (chronic diahhrea) and tries not to eat early in the day to prevent that so she can work, but then her BSL's would go way up. She was diagnosed as diabetic at 9.? (to you would be 144+). So now, her doctor has urged her to eat a piece of toast in the morning and something small again at noon, which is helping her sugars come down now; and she also lost a tiny bit of weight as a result as well.

I am finding that my levels are going down too low, and I end up feeling dizzy and nauseated from that; so I am trying to address that by eating more, but not so much that my sugar levels go too high, and I am also trying to lose weight too (albeit very slowly, so my body won't panic too much).

So, I guess it is a balancing act for all of us; and the best thing you can do is see your doctor and maybe a diabetic counsellor or dietician to get some advice for your specific issues. I hope that you can get some answers soon ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-11-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #5  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

How did your appointment go?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You've not been around since December 27th. Please pop into the Keep In Touch Thread and let us know how things went.

I've closed this thread so we don't have two discussion thread at once.
Closed Thread