Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Default What is the real cost of MRC?

Hi, I am very new at all this. I recently saw an ad from MRC, one of the few diets I haven't tried. I am trying to figure out what it would cost to lose 55 pounds. I contacted the local center by e-mail and explained that I didn't want to have the same bad experience as when I went to a LA weight loss center. They really made me feel awful about my weight before going into their sales pitch. I asked MRC for an estimate of what it would cost to lose 55 pounds and they told me about $400. They said I would need to come in to get an actual figure as their plans varied.

The $400 figure looks very misleading as from what I have been reading, it looks like to lose 55 pounds I would have to pay $400 + about $150 a month for a required supplement. Is this true? All the posts I have read so far have been so very helpful. Glad I discovered this website!
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/175/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen ready to lose View Post
Hi, I am very new at all this. I recently saw an ad from MRC, one of the few diets I haven't tried. I am trying to figure out what it would cost to lose 55 pounds. I contacted the local center by e-mail and explained that I didn't want to have the same bad experience as when I went to a LA weight loss center. They really made me feel awful about my weight before going into their sales pitch. I asked MRC for an estimate of what it would cost to lose 55 pounds and they told me about $400. They said I would need to come in to get an actual figure as their plans varied.

The $400 figure looks very misleading as from what I have been reading, it looks like to lose 55 pounds I would have to pay $400 + about $150 a month for a required supplement. Is this true? All the posts I have read so far have been so very helpful. Glad I discovered this website!
It sounds to me that you have most of the information. Yes, it is expensive, but I am learning to eat right and using regular food to do it.
I needed to lose 47 lbs. I had to pay about the same as what was quoted to you. That was for a 17 week program in which time I should lose the weight and be at their goal weight for me. At the end of my 17 week program, I will add on a 10 week program at the cost of around $100 to lose the rest of the weight that either I didn't lose on the initial program or lose the next 10 lbs to where I want to weigh.
There are supplement called high nutrient supplements. You will have to drink 2 each day. You get 7 supplements (called HNS) in a box for around $10 (sometimes there are sales to get them cheaper). They will also want you to do vitamins and fish oil. You do not have to buy those items from MRC.
I hope this helped. It is a good program and I am very glad I joined.
iluvindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #3  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

The cost of your actual plan will vary by center and promotions they are having. Around the end of the year they will have "2 for 1" specials and such that can be helpful. It does cost about $40-$50 per week to buy the HNS that you will need for the week. At a minimum of 2 per day, you will need 14 per week which is $30. Most people drink more than 2 per day to help them lose faster. You are not required to buy anything other than the HNS drinks. Not the supplements/pills/bars or anything else. If you go to a center that doesn't keep track of the drinks you buy, then you can spend even less. You can get drinks on ebay and elsewhere or even make your own. Depends alot on the center. Go in and talk to them. They should be helpful and no make you feel bad.
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen ready to lose View Post
I paid $398 just for a year and a half (5 mos to get to goal, 6-7 wks of stabilization and a year of maint.). I prob spend $200/mo for supps/drinks, etc. Hope that helps!
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/191/140

Height: 5' 3"

Just for what it is worth. When I went in they quoted me $398.00. I was already a member of WW and it was working slow for sure but working and so I told them NO I would just stay with WW and they lowered my cost to $198.00. Give it a try. Just say no and see if they will deal with you. The HNS's are $12/box * 2 = $24.00 for a week. Which is what they recommend you take. They also have the deal of 10 boxes for $90.

Last edited by not going to give up; 12-08-2009 at 08:50 PM.
not going to give up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #6  

Default Thank You!

I can't begin to tell you how much your responses mean to me. I am going to try and see if I can get a better deal as $400 plus the HNS will really add up. I don't feel quite so alone after hearing from you all.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

Helen, It took me a few months after my first consultation to join. I read everything there was to read here on 3FC's and asked many, many questions, which were all answered by such a wonderful group here.

I was hounded about twice a week if I was going to join, finally I decided to join when I was told I could join for 17 weeks at $298, then after that, I could join for 17 more weeks for $79 or 24 weeks for $99. Well my contract expires this week, so we shall see if those quotes are still valid...something tells me that they are not.

I did not take any of the suppliments that were offered, which may be the reason why my weight loss wasn't happening as fast as the others. All I purchased from MRC were the HNS's which if you bought 10 boxes, they were $9 per box. (plus tax) I purchased my multi vitamins, B-12, and Flax Oil capsules at a discount store which were much, much cheaper.

Last week I finally ordered my HNS's from DietDirect which saved me quite a bit of money...although the contract says you will have to purchase them from MRC....so I will not share this info with them...I am curious to see how long it takes for them to know I stopped purchasing them from their center?

I drank 3-4 per day, depending on how much time I would be between meals. Other than that, I followed the plan except during a vacation in Oct. and Thanksgiving. I kept my diet sheets up but now I only WI once a week, do to my busy schedule...so I probably have voided my contract with MRC...we shall see what happens Thursday. I really think they don't want to lose a customer, so they will work with me and get me to sign up for another 17 weeks. Which I will do, because this works!!! It's not that hard to follow and I like being able to buy my own food and prepare the recipes that many here have posted. I don't feel like I am starving at all, and after each meal, I feel fullfilled. There are times when I would really like to have a snack or something off plan, but I think about the cost and it just isn't worth it. Right now I have been enjoying buying new clothes and enjoying the compliments. I feel better and I feel like I am getting healthy again. That alone is worth every penny of this plan.

Take your time in deciding, and like I said, read and ask questions....there is always someone here that can help you out. It sounds like this is the month to join due to the specials they are offering....negotiate and see what you can do.

Good Luck.
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #8  

Default To 50's lady

Thank you for your great info. I am a 55's lady too. I thought I would have my weight under control by this age! Let us know how it goes on Thursday. Good luck and be strong. You are right, they want you to stay in the program so I am sure they will work with you.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/140

I have been on program since July and spent $298 to enroll for 17 weeks and then $140 to re-enroll to lose my last 10 pounds. I have spent $200 a month for the HNS and various pills (vitamins, EFA, B6). So when you total all that up I've spent over $1500 so far. It is an expensive program but it's the only one I've been successful on. I feel it has been worth the price.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 279.5/195.5/166

Height: 5' 11"

Helen;
For myself I was able to pay for MRC with the money I saved not eating out so much. The cost of dining out, even at fast food places adds up, as well as snack foods etc. And buying fruit, even something out of season is cheaper than a bag of chips. Don't get me wrong, I still eat out but only occasionally.
I have also had to replace all of my clothes--you won't hear me complaining about that though!
There are components of MRC, the stabilization and maintenance that make it worth the cost to me. I don't know about your weight loss journey, but I have been there and done that on a lot of weight loss plans only to gain weight + more because I can't quite figure out the normal way to eat!
Good luck to you!
msim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by msim View Post
Helen;
For myself I was able to pay for MRC with the money I saved not eating out so much. The cost of dining out, even at fast food places adds up, as well as snack foods etc. And buying fruit, even something out of season is cheaper than a bag of chips. Don't get me wrong, I still eat out but only occasionally.
I have also had to replace all of my clothes--you won't hear me complaining about that though!
There are components of MRC, the stabilization and maintenance that make it worth the cost to me. I don't know about your weight loss journey, but I have been there and done that on a lot of weight loss plans only to gain weight + more because I can't quite figure out the normal way to eat!
Good luck to you!
MSIM, This is so very true and great points you mad. The junk food is no longer on my grocery bill, nor are the can products, sweets, rolls and many more costly items. I save so much money now by eating healthy. Cheese may be higher, but I buy no other dairy products except for eggs. I spend no more money on sodas, that alone is a savings now that soda has increased in price. The fresh veggies and fruit, I don't mind, because they are worth their weight in gold.

Yes, the clothes are costing me more now, but I feel like it is an award for losing, so I can justify this expense. I have no regrets!!! I am feeling better and that's what counts.
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #12  

Thumbs up

Hi MSIM, 76 pounds!! That is amazing! It is nice to hear from fellow 50ish women. I don't want spend my 60's still worrying about my weight; thought I would have it under control by now. I am still learning how to post; just started yesterday. I have been gaining the same 50 pounds since my 20's. Each time it is a little harder to lose. I have never stayed with a program through maintenance and I am hoping that will make a difference this time. Nice to be sharing the journey with someone.

Last edited by Helen ready to lose; 12-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.