Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/224/165

Height: 5"2

Default Depressed and Fat!

I was diagnosed with depression quite a few yrs ago, and have been on meds since then. Now I'm disabled with several health issues and take even more meds-some that make it very hard to lose weight!! To top it all off, I lost my mama just 3wks ago-that's been the worst! I had quit smoking for 2months and started right back up after my mother's death. Not sure where to start with my weight loss.
jj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hello and welcome. I am sorry about your mother and the other issues you have been facing. You have come to the right place to get support and encouragement. In terms of where to start, I think it is important to pick a plan that you can stick to for the long haul, whether it is calorie counting, Weight Watchers, or some other program.

I wish you the best on your weight loss journey.

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/224/165

Height: 5"2

Smile

Thank you so much-and nice to meet you!
jj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #4  
Striving 4 better health!

S/C/G: 186/155/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi, welcome to 3FC. I am sorry to hear about your mother. There are lots of nice encouraging people here so you've come to the right place for motivation and support. I agree with jrmohr, you should try to evaluate different weight loss plans and see which one you think would fit your lifestyle the best. There's lots of great methods for getting healthier but it needs to be one that you can make work for you. Nice to meet you and good luck with getting started with your weight loss
heather1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

JJ

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom (((hug))). I really do understand how the loss of a dear loved one can affect depression and eating. I gained about 100 lbs after the loss of my sister.

Coming here is a great 1st step. This board and others can help in so many ways. The support on the monthly thread is amazing.

Do you have any plan in mind that you think you would like to try? I would suggest reading up on a few plans, then, talk it over with your doctor to see what he/she thinks. Its really important to have our physicians on the same page as us.

Good luck JJ ... we're rootin for you

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Welcome JJ,
This really is a great place for support.
So sorry about your mother.
Good luck on your journey.
Take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

Height: 5'6

Here to wish you luck as well. I'm in a similar, although not as extreme boat; my antidepressants have made me gain weight, and I was extremely ill all summer and had multiple surgeries, leaving me sedentary and unable to do any form of exercise for months, but i did manage to overeat and feel bad for myself and keep binging that whole time. I'm now up forty pounds and struggling with severe depression and anxiety, and know the best thing is sometimes to just let it all out, so if you need to talk, i'm here.
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #8  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome to 3FC, and I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother; the loss of my father nudged my depression even deeper.

Agree with all the others; see what your doctor says, then start reading all through here, one is sure to find a group that will encourage and support you!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #9  

Hi jj123,

Sorry to hear about your mom, and everything else going around you.

I guess being around with positive and supportive people will help you to make it through strong.
SilverShine is offline   Reply With Quote