Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Angry back to 3fc, new to diabetes

Hi chicks: I have been coming to 3fc for weight loss support, and had some success before my life was derailed with my parents health problems. These are ongoing, but a bit less acute now, and the effects of the stress this year are showing on me.
One of the reasons I originally wanted to lose weight and be in better shape is that I am at risk for diabetes with family history and personal history. (second baby over 9 pounds, possible undiagnosed gestational diabetes) and my weight gain over the years. I spilled sugar in my urine about 16 months ago during a physical, and did a 75 g gtt then, with normal results except hypoglycemia on the 2 hr.
The last few weeks, I have been more tired, thirsty and sleeping poorly, since I have to wake up to use the bathroom so many times a night.
SO, I checked my blood sugar with a glucometer. ( I am a midwife, use it for work) IT was 7 mmol as a fasting sugar. That by itself is pretty much diagnostic, but did a whole 75 gram gtt today, doing glucometer checks with the blood draws. The fasting was 7.2, and the 1 hour 11.2. The 2 hour was normal at 6.5. (sorry, don't know about conversions for this to make sense to americans, but 5.3 is top of normal fasting bgl)
I will review the results with my doctor in 2 weeks. In the meantime, I am taking this seriously, realizing that I haven't been eating well, that I MUST do better, now and for the rest of my life, so I can keep to the quality of life I enjoy now.
I plan to come back to 3fc regularly and WORK at getting a handle on this.
I look forward to support here and on other threads, and to having the benefits of your collective wisdom specifically with dealing with diabetes.

thanks
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, the time comes when we realize we have to change things. It will certainly help to have your medical knowledge. For me, I find that focusing on whole grains and eliminating sugars keeps me on an even keel. Exercise helps with control too.
Glad you popped in and looking forward to sharing your knowledge.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #3  

I am so sorry you have had such a stressful year. I also was high risk for diabetes due to my weight and family history and when I was pregnant I did get GD. After I had my daughter the diabetes did not go away, so I was diagnosed with Type II. It is a wake up call.

I think it is good that you had the materials to test yourself until you can see the doctor. The sooner you begin eating for diabetes, the sooner your blood sugars will come under control and you will have your energy back.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #4  
Madeleine

Thanks for the support. I have managed to stay pretty close to plan the last 2 days, and got exercise both days. Will be aiming to keep things pretty tight for a while. I have a few food allergies and am working at thinking of refined foods as "things I am allergic to..." to help with avoidance. Funny how people will find it hard to accept when they offer you something and you politely decline, but there is no argument when you claim allergies.
I hope I can continue to convince myself. Am hungry tonight, so had a small snack within plan and am going to bed.
ttfn
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

This is certainly doable; you are well on your way already. Lots of us here know what you are going through -- and, if you have to say you can't eat something becuz of allergies, sobeit (hey, you have an allergy to sugar, that's all). Keep up the good work ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I find that simply saying "I'm diabetic" usually works except for the odd person who says "One little bite won't hurt you". Then I ask them if they are prepared to deal with the consequences and they back off!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #7  
Madeleine

so my a1c is 5.9, which is one point below cutoff, so my diagnosis for now is "glucose intolerant". I am thinking of myself as diabetic, for if I ever need more life insurance or something, it is better not to have the diabetes diagnosis.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #8  
Madeleine

Met with doc. My official diagnosis will be glucose intolerant for now. Have to start with diet and exercise. But I am so lethargic (that was my first symptom) that I am just coming home from work and crashing, and truly feel exhausted all the time. How am I going to get exercising. kick my butt please!