Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

Question Water~Vitamins~ Food~Protein drinks

Being new to this I'm trying my best to get off on the right foot. So far I'm not doing very good on the water.

How are we suppose to get in 64 oz of water in a day? I'm not a huge water drinker to begin with........

Vitamins.......I have them all but when can I take them. Which ones can I take together?

Food........I'm on the pureed diet as of now. Anything I can puree. Nothing sounds good. For lunch I had refried beans and cheese. That will work to get some protein in. What did everyone else do at this stage?

Still looking for a protein drink I can tolerate.

Other than my few issues I'm feeling pretty good. Going back to work on Monday. Hope I can tolerate that.

mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #2  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

I take my vitamins and calcium together. Do not take iron with them!

I did the refried beans, veggie chili, mashed potato's, yogurt ..

also I am still looking for a portein drink I can stand.
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I take My iron at night don't take it with calcium or anything involving Dairy they have the same receptors in your body
I'd do crystal lite for water or maybe some decaf tea
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I know getting in all the water is hard, but at this early stage, it is THE single most important thing to do. Quite frankly, your body will not waste away from malnourishment if you don't get enough protein or vitamins for a few weeks, but if you don't get enough water early out, you could very well end up requiring IV fluids due to dehydration (I did, and I have spoken to many others who have as well). Dehydration SUCKS and makes you not want to eat or drink ANYTHING (seems counterintuitive, but it's true).

So, focus on water as your #1 priority right now. (That does NOT mean to ignore everything else, but if you are truly struggling to get everything in, water is most important right now.)

As for vitamins, as has already been mentioned by others, just keep your calcium and iron apart, preferably by at least 2 hours, and don't take your iron with anything containing calcium (such as a protein shake, dairy, etc.), but DO take iron with Vitamin C. Other vitamins, for the most part, will play nice together, so you can take things like a multi and calcium at the same time.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

I am bound to do better on the drinking water once I return to the office. (Which is Monday the 30th btw)
I will add lemon or something else to the water to liven in up.

Thanks for the input~
mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

wow! you're back at work already? my goodness!!!!

about the pureed stuff - i liked pureed lentil soup. or i opened a can of progressos chickarina soup [all those cute little chicken meatballs!], removed the meatballs, and pureed them.

also, i like cottage cheese. i had a TERRIBLE time with scrambled eggs - couldn't keep them down for at least 2 years!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #7  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Jillybean said it exactly how I was told by my doctor and exactly how I COULD handle it. I did get dehydrated and ended back in the hospital for 3 days on an IV. I felt like h*ll til I got "re-hydrated" Water first and foremost!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote