Old 11-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default How did you do keeping Thanksgiving in moderation?

I'm new here, so you'll have to forgive me if I post a few things in the wrong spot...there are so many forums!

I have just started getting serious about dieting in the last 3 weeks. So far I've lost 8lbs, and I'm really happy with myself. I'm not focused so much on losing weight, but getting healthy. I'm not following any trendy diets or anything really specific, just eating a very balanced diet with moderate proportions. I keep track of calories, portions, and food groups each day on mypyramid.com. I don't exercise outside of work except for walking (I have a very physical outside job).

ANYWAYS.

I've been doing *great* on my diet for the last three weeks, and I promised myself that as long as I kept Thanksgiving dinner in moderation, I wouldn't feel guilty. On my plate, I had 2 pieces of turkey, a whole sweet potato, some broccoli, and a big helping of stuffing. I ended up eating only 1 piece of turkey, half the sweet potato, all the broccoli, and about a quarter of the stuffing. I even cut my piece of pumpkin pie in half. And I'm satisfied No guilt or worry. I used to be able to eat like four times what I did and still want more.

How did everyone else deal with Thanksgiving and dieting?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Good job! I still haven't had Thanksgiving dinner yet (it's only 2:45 in Hawaii right now!) but I know I'm going to have a hard time resisting that pumpkin pie!!!!
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i dont celebrate thanksgiving, but im hoping people will post heaps of tips i can use for xmas
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

Sounds like you did a fantastic job, mkendrick!

I'm fairly happy with myself. I had a small amount of cranberry sauce, about a tablespoon of greenbean casserole, a tablespoon of mashed potatoes with no gravy, green and black olives, and a cup of dressing (I'm a vegetarian, so no turkey). For dessert, I had the world's smallest piece of pumpkin pie. Normally, I have 2 FULL plates of food with a huge slice of pumpkin pie AND a huge slice of pecan pie. So...I could have done better, but I I could have gone back to my old habits, too...so I'm pretty proud.

Last edited by angee phalangee; 11-26-2009 at 08:33 PM.
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #5  

Height: 4'11"

I did really well today, too. I'm so excited. I had turkey, some veggies, and a whole sweet potato.
ravensglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #6  
Mission to maintenance!

S/C/G: 227/150/145

Height: 5'9

I didn't do well, but I told myself a head of time that I was going to give myself today since I haven't cheated in the 2.5 months I started dieting....and I worked out once I got home. As long as I maintain this week and don't gain anything I'll consider my huge meal as a treat and not feel guilt about it.
LBLAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #7  
On the way down!

S/C/G: 226/ticker/150

Height: 5'10.75

I did NOT do well. I had so much sangria, dinner was alright but I went a little overboard on the cheese because its my worst food, i had 4 cookies and 2 slices of cheesecake. Not good. I think I blew it so bad because I didn't eat anything prior to Thanksgiving dinner on purpose and I think its more harm than good. Anyways, if I went over it was only by like 400-500 calories. Could be worse but could be MUCH better. I really don't like skipping meals though. I only got in an hour of cardio today too. Grrr...
redliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I did well. I had two pieces of dark meat turkey, about 1/4 of a sweet potato, some salad (no dressing), brussel sprouts (no oil or anything on them), no stuffing, no cranberry sauce, no desert. Normally, I would have loads of stuffing, bread with butter, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, tons of pie with whipped cream! I'm very VERY proud today! Only one problem: I have TONS of leftovers! Ugh!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I did surprisingly well. I saved a load of calories for dinner because I really thought I would need them. I had a small amount of white-meat turkey, a small scoop of mac&cheese (about 10-12 noodles), half a roll, two small pieces of egg/mushroom thingy, and a couple spoonfulls of this butternut squash casserole I made (it had chopped squash, chopped apples, and a few seasonings). Once I finished that, I decided I still had some room and went back for another helping of squash. Then for dessert I had two small cookies my mom made (I love her cookies!!!!) All in all, hubby and I calculated about 475-525 cals for my dinner and then probably 250 for both cookies! So that's AMAZING!!!

Last edited by stargzr; 11-27-2009 at 11:50 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #10  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I didn't do fantastic but, today was my cheat day anyway and I'm not worried about it since I'm back to running three miles daily and doing other cardio. I had a few bites of each side and some turkey breast and yes even the candied yams and a slither of pecan pie minus the pecans which I dislike.....so I guess I just like brown sugar and kyro syrup pie? :P As per usual I drank only water and I worked out today before the meal. Congrats to those who did well, to those who didn't do so well- don't beat yourself up about it, Thanksgiving isn't exactly an easy time to resist food especially with the added peer pressure which some folk have from family members.......you know the routine "Go on X, just have a piece of pie, it's Thanksgiving for goodness sake!" or the old "Is that all your eating, go on, have some more potatoes". Just get right back on the wagon tomorrow, just don't make it a habit and you will be fine.

Last edited by bananapancakes; 11-27-2009 at 12:49 AM.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I had four bites of green bean casserole, four bites of stuffing, a whole sweet potato, two serving spoons of cranberry sauce and two pieces turkey. So not amazingly well, but considering I had had less than 500 calories the rest of the day, i consider it pretty well on plan.

My biggest help tonight was liquid. I drank four glasses of water while appetizers were out. Then during dessert, I had two cups of coffee with a dash of skim milk. The drinks kept me occupied and I felt included because I had a hand-to-mouth motion too. Plus it filled my stomach so I didn't want pie or cheeses.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote