Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #1  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Default Chemically Straightened Hair?

I'm considering getting my hair chemically straightened, and was wondering if anyone had any advice or personal experience with this? My hair is naturally straight, but I got a perm over a year 1/2 ago and my hair has been crazy poofy/wavy ever since! I'm tired of blow drying/straightening EVERY MORNING! I want this over with. Do you think this is the right option for me?

Thanks for listening,
Kimberley

Last edited by UrthWurm; 11-21-2009 at 10:19 PM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I have naturally curly/wavy hair that I used to use straighteners on all the time. This was quite a few years ago, so there may be different ones out now. In my experience, they never made my hair stick straight. Maybe relaxed the curl a bit but I would still need to blow dry to get that straight look. After awhile the chemicals and heat really started to fry my hair so I had to learn to accept my hair being wavy.

Since yours is a perm, be careful with putting too many chemical treatments on it. If you have a good stylist they could give you an honest answer if your hair could handle another chemical treatment or not. Maybe all your hair needs is a good trim to cut off some of the old perm and any damage?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You might want to speak to a professional and ask if it's okay to chemically relax your hair after having it permed.

If it's been a year and a half hasn't a good portion of your hair grown back? Like 9 inches (assuming half an inch a month)? So couldn't you just chop off all the curly hair? Or would that make your hair too short?

Chemically straightening your hair is expensive also- so much more than a perm. Anyone who tells you it's cheap probably won't do a good job or it'll only last a few weeks- I have short hair- above my shoulders, and I paid $300 to get it chemically straightened two months ago. I went to a professional and the straight hair will last the life of the hair that's been treated. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the outcome but from what I understand a perm is usually less than $100.

Good luck! I would say just cut your hair till the perm grows out since your hair is naturally straight.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #4  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

The problem is I've been cutting my hair, trying to cut off the waves. It doesn't work! My hair keeps growing back really wavy. I've tried waiting for it to wear off or grow out, but it just isn't happening. I really just want my hair post perm back.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #5  
Lady-in-training!

S/C/G: Heaviest: 215/202/168/130

Height: 5'5"

I have the poufiest, most unattractively-curled (just incosistent, wild curls everywhere) hair ever. I've started getting japanese straightening (AKA "magic straight") at a salon in Koreatown in NYC, for 200 bucks, and it's been a lifesaver, my hair has never felt or looked better. They won't do it if you have any existing chemical treatments in your hair, so you'd have to wait for any dye or perms to grow out, most likely.
I dont know if you're thinking of going the more-extreme Japanese straightening route, but htat's been my experience.
gtech2mit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Speak to a stylist and see what she says.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I had my naturally curly/frizzy hair straightened, but I only did the pack so that I can still wear it curly if I want and it would be easy to straighten the rest if I want. Well, the hair that was straightened chemically ended up being HORRIBLE. It ended up getting tangled and matted every single day. I couldn't believe how quickly it got tangled, which made it so much harder to deal with! I have friends who have done the same treatment and it was no problem for them. My problem is that my hair is very thin, but I have lots and lots of it. I just wanted to share my experience because had I known that this could happen, I would have never done it. Now, I just blow out my hair with a big round brush that has metal in it and I get beautiful hair if I have the time...otherwise, it's a mess.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

I did get my hair chemically straightened before. Overall, it made my hair much more easy to maintain. However, I felt that my hair lost all life completely. It was so thin and flat after the treatment. It stayed this way for months. So the Pros are that it is very easy and ALWAYS flat when you get it done, and the cons would be that it has NO body after the treatment. This is coming from someone with very thick hair, too !
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #9  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

I have hair that curls in the nastiest way, too. I actually used a relaxer for african-american hair that I got at a drugstore - safe and cheap and easy. It didn't make it straight but it did make it possible for me to 'wash and go' for awhile without looking like a freakaleek. It lasted a month, probably.
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I've never done it myself but I have friends that swear by Japanese hair straightening.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote