Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default Struggling

I've been at this for over 3 months now and have so far lost 32.5lbs which I'm really happy with.
The initial motivation has worn off although it is renewed when the scale shows a loss on weigh in day. I've read lots on here about commitment and just doing it, and I know I have that. Most days I don't want to go to the gym, but I make myself, and when I'm there I push myself as hard as I can. I currently go to the gym 5/6 times a week. Eating wise I even stayed on plan on holiday recently and over halloween etc although I often just want to give up.
The thing is although I can see and feel I've lost weight and DH can as well, no-one else has commented yet and it's frustrating. A lot of my clothes are way too big now and I'm into smaller sizes in my wardrobe, but have only bought a couple of new tops so far for my holiday.
My fitness has improved massively since I started this journey, but I still feel so slow compared to most of the other people in the gym, and I'm still the biggest person in there.
So although I have no real intention of quitting, I really could do with some words of wisdom on how I can feel a little more upbeat at the moment when, although the weight is coming off, no-one else is noticing and I still look bigger than most people, and I have SO far still to go.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

weight is a sensitive topic for most people, it could be that many people may be noticing but hesitant to say something for fear they'll say it in the wrong way. Over 30 lbs in 3 months!! you can't see me, but I'm clutching my chest in admiration. that's wonderful! congrats!

I am embarrassed to admit that I sometimes find myself looking for people who are bigger than me when I go places, including the gym. Sometimes I see someone, sometimes I don't. I just try to keep in mind that I am actively doing something about my body every day. There will always be people bigger than me, and there will always be people smaller than me. I get to chose how I look at it.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #3  
A New Woman

S/C/G: 330/ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

i agree with dragonwoman.. some people just don't want to bring it up, and others are just completely oblivious... no one noticed i looked any different until i cut half my hair off, then they noticed the new clothes id been wearing for a month and the 20 pounds i had lost.

What is most important is that YOU notice a difference, and that you notice how far you've come. over thirty pounds lost! that is amazing!! AND you said you can feel a difference in your fitness, that is also a big accomplishment .

I have been struggling with commitment lately, and i think it's because i haven't found my concrete 'reason'. But since you have commitment, you must have your reason... let that be what you focus on, as well as all you have accomplished... People are slow, but they will notice eventually
HeyHeyGabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #4  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Loving Me I know what you mean I too have been on this for a little over three months and I have lost 29 pounds and Not many people notice. My children and my hubby are the only ones to say anything to me about it. I do think alot of people sensitive to weight/weightloss subject. A few years ago I was loosing weight and I was feeling good and this lady came to me and asked me when my baby was due. Ummm not pregnate jest fat. I think after that I dont think she commeted on anyones weight after that.
But I to had to drag me out some of the smaller clothes I had in the closet my pants were getting baggy and undies getting saggie and I felt like I could swim in some of the tops I have. But I have to push myself to keep going on a dialy bases. I keep teeling myself I want this or want that But I dont want to gain pounds back I want to keep loosing and the only way is to keep it going. I guess we are going into the 4 month itch we jest got to keep it going and not give up.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #5  
Reluctant Adult

You know, it's a funny thing... I'm one of those people who hope that others WON'T notice my weight loss right away. I hate how, when someone says, "Oh, are you losing weight?" the next 10 minutes of our conversation is going to be about how fat I was before, what I'm doing now, and yada yada yada. The thing is, I'm doing this for my own reasons and nothing else matters. Whether people notice or not isn't important (well, ok, at SOME point it might be!).

I think if you focus hard on why you began this journey, you won't care so much whether or not people notice. Hang tough, girl!
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

For me no one noticed till I lost 25 lbs and went down from a tight 18 to a 14/16.

I'd go through your wardrobe and stop wearing anything that looks like a tent on you.

Don't worry people will start to notice! Remember you are doing this for you and not them- I think you are doing very well
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #7  

You are doing amazing!
I too have been struggling but have managed to lose weight by cutting out bagels out of my life. I used to eat 4 bagels a day - no joke!
Be patient and keep exercising. The best is yet to come
AngieMiuhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

You are doing great! People may be noticing but hate to say anything. People started saying something to me when I lost 50 pounds and had to get new clothes. I have also noticed that I get compliments whenever I get new clothes that fit. Those big clothes can hide the weight loss.

Hang in there and people will notice, I promise!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #9  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

We are in very similar places right now. Although I've lost over one hundred pounds, I literally live thousands of miles away from anyone who would have seen and remembered me at my highest weight. And even then, my memories of being at that weight are so blurred and skewed that I can't make a fair comparison to how I am now; it's almost like a bad dream or alternate reality (strange, eh?) and thus feels like it doesn't "count."

As it is, I've lost 29 pounds since August. I've noticed, my BF has noticed, but his family has not (who we see about every other week or so).

And I should be ecstatic that I've lost nearly 30 pounds since starting again, but some days are better than others. It's a little frustrating I've only gone down one size, from a 24 to a 22. I'm so dying for an 18! I wish I didn't have so far to go. I wish I wasn't so uncertain about what's going to happen to my figure.

I keep telling myself that my health and fitness have vastly improved with the food I now eat and especially with the recent commitment I've made to swimming. And as much as I enjoy the water, it can be hard to make myself go. I'm not happy with the way I look in the suit and figure I'm still a good 30-40 pounds away from feeling comfortable in one. But I also remind myself that no one at the pool has a perfect body and that there's no reason for me to be the center of attention (chances are everyone's too concerned about taking care of themselves to worry about anyone else), which takes the edge off my anxieties over it.

I just keep plugging away with my renewed habits, not giving myself the option to fail. And even if the "payoff" isn't as obvious as I want it to be, I remind myself I'm in a good place right now with more good things to come.

In other words, I'm on my way right now, and you definitely are too!!! I understand how you can feel down at times but you're doing great and you're gonna be fine. Just hang in there!

Last edited by Elladorine; 11-10-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #10  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

You're doing great! Stick with it - they will notice. I have a theory, based on my own experience as well as a lot of posts I've seen, that people really start noticing around the 15% lost mark (at least when you are "overweight"). I started around 184 - right at the obese line, and lost about 25 pounds before people really commented. Very frustrating - because my clothes were falling off me by then!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I can tell you chicks that are frustrated at people not noticing that some of them are noticing and scared to say anything. My husband is one of these people. He is afraid to make comments about people losing weight, beginning an exercise routine, etc. because he is afraid they will feel like he is judging them, like he is voicing disapproval of their previous weight, lack of exercise, etc. He says things to me about my progress, but only because he knows I know he's not judging me. After talking to him about it I now feel better about other people who don't seem to notice.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #12  
Senior Member by the Sea

S/C/G: 275/175

Height: 5'6"

People didn't start commenting/noticing my weight loss until about the 40 lb mark. Even then, it was people who had either lost weight before or were in the process of losing weight themselves, and so were more observant.

Other people started commenting after 50 pounds were gone. Some told me they noticed before, but didn't know if it might be too personal to say something. Like dragonwoman64 said, it's a sensitive topic.

You're doing great, people will start to notice, don't worry!
Farseashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #13  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Same boat -- I do sometimes wonder if people are afraid to comment. usually if I bring it up first they will say something lol Sometimes it does some good to just brag on youself. Put it out there and give yourself a WELL deserved pat!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #14  
Fit by Spring Break!

S/C/G: 235/211/150

Height: 5'7"

The one thing that stuck out at me in your post was that you seem to be concerned that you are the biggest person that goes to your gym.

WHO CARES?!?! You know what I think when I see someone who is bigger than me in the gym? I think, "wow, that person has a lot of dedication, and that is awesome they are doing something to change their life". And I bet a lot of people feel that way too...so you know what? Keep going to the gym and keep doing what you are doing! You are awesome!
MathGirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

WOW, congratulations on all your success so far! I can say that I've felt the exact same way before & I know it sucks . I still have my days. Just remember: the time is going to pass anyway. You mine as well be DOING something during that time instead of WAITING for something to happen. You are already on your way and people will start noticing soon! You've just got to stay strong and keep your head up, because whether anyone else notices or not, YOU know what you're doing and how your body is changing. YOU know how much work you're putting into it. YOU know how good or bad you feel. Take control girl, this is all about YOU.

& dragonwoman64, I do the sameeee thing... compare myself to the people around me. Idk WHY.. I usually just end up feeling bad about it! But it seems like it just happens automatically.. hm!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote