Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #1  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Cannot find pants that fit, help!

So, I have lost 40 pounds and I'm had to get rid of all my pants. I have really only lost about an inch through the bust, and most of my weight loss has been from the waist down (of course I see a lot in the arms and neck too).

From what I can tell, I have gone from a 22W to a 18 in pants. But even the 18 are starting to look baggy/bad.

Here is my uniqueness:

1) my dr. and I are dealing with several large lipomas on my body which will be removed at my convenience in about a half a year. one of them is on my hind (it gives me some extra junk in my trunk in a very symmetrical way at the top of my "crack" but it adds some extra measurement to my waist in a way).

2)I had 2 very large (nearly 10 pound) babies and had horrible stretch marks. The more weight I lose, the less noticeable it is, but it will only go away with a tummy tuck, I have a significant amount of extra skin (probably like stuffing 2 or 3 tubes of Jimmy Dean's sausage in your pants) even though my torso everywhere else is quite tight from exercise.

My problem: The sizing charts are in the twilight zone! I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SIZING CHARTS WORK. I have a tape measure. I understand how to do measurements. My measurements are: waist: 39. Hip: 45.

I have on currently a pair of Dockers Curvy Fit Trousers, size 16 (gotten used). They fit tight, but the waist is comfortable (no muffin top). The hips are a bit loose. According to their web site, their measurements are: waist 34.5, Hip 45. I don't understand how I can wear their clothes if they are 5 inches off... I also picked up an 18 and they were too big.

I'm feeling very body dysmorphic. I need help! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Help???

Weeb
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I suppose that I could find the perfect pant if I had unlimited funds and time to go looking ... however ... I like sales racks

I found a seamstress near me who is becoming my best friend. She fixes things for my narrow shoulders, my straight hips and my generous thighs.

In your situation, I think I would take a pair I've shrunk out of and see what a tailor can do. If you're happy with that, ask what they suggest. If they tell you to get pants that fit at the waist and they can fix the rest? there you go ... perfect pants!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Have you tried Lane Bryant? Pants I've gotten there have fit perfectly. They have different types of fit for different bodies.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #4  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

If you like the Lane Bryant "Right Fit" pants, they're available at Fashion Bug usually at a significantly cheaper price.

They can be quite nice to accomodate different body shapes and sizes.

Good luck!
TXJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

LoL weebles, I could have written that part about the babies!

Right now, I'm wearing a pair of size 20 LEI hip-huggers. Yes, putting them on was a bit of a waaaambulance, moment. I had been wearing 16s. How on earth can I now be in a size 20 when I out-slimmed my 16s?! I used to shove 30 extra pounds of flab into them, how can they still fit? I suppose the answer is, they didn't really fit before. :P

Frankly, I don't care anymore. They fit great and make my flat butt look cute. I can't find another pair of pants that fit this well.

If the "size" you "are" right now doesn't fit, it isn't your size. The charts are all a lie and I highly doubt most designers consider women who have given birth (it does very bad things to our hips). So, personally, I now opt for a larger size hip-hugger to avoid the disparity between my slim waist and birthin' hips.

I've had luck with Old Navy "Flirt" and "Diva" cuts. The nice thing about ON is they have 5 different cuts of jeans, each with their own unique sizing (which isn't reflected in their charts, btw). I can fit into a size 14 "Sweetheart", which fits great around the waist but tight through the hips, but I look great in a size 18 "Diva" which sits lower on the hips.

Also consider that there's a much bigger difference between a 20 and an 18 and an 18 and a 16 than there is between a 16 and a 14 (by many size charts, it's about 2-2.5 inches a piece for the formers and an inch for the latter). When my 18s started to get baggy, I had to either a) belt them as tight as I could or b) wear 16s that were a bit too snug.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #6  
Workin' It

Docker's are always way too big on me too even when the measurements should work. Something about the cut.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Also consider that there's a much bigger difference between a 20 and an 18 and an 18 and a 16 than there is between a 16 and a 14 (by many size charts, it's about 2-2.5 inches a piece for the formers and an inch for the latter). When my 18s started to get baggy, I had to either a) belt them as tight as I could or b) wear 16s that were a bit too snug.
Now, this totally makes sense. I had no idea! It took quite a while for me to go from 20 to 18, less time to go from 18 to 16, and now I can fit in some 14s but some 16s are still too small. Sizing is INSANE!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I have found it is the cut of certain makes of clothes. I like Dress Barn. I can always find things that fit there even in the plus size section. Sometimes I have to buy things in the regular side, sometimes on the plus size. There are other stores where no matter what, the clothes just never fit. SusanB-you might want to try Ann Taylor. Her clothes are very straight up and down. I will never be able to wear them no matter what size I am cause I'm just not made that way but it sounds like you are. Weebles-I don't know if you live near an outlet mall or something like that. It's a great place to go and try several different makes until you find something that "fits" without spending an arm and a leg.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #9  

Height: 5'11"

Regarding there being more inches between bigger sizes than between smaller sizes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
Now, this totally makes sense. I had no idea! It took quite a while for me to go from 20 to 18, less time to go from 18 to 16, and now I can fit in some 14s but some 16s are still too small. Sizing is INSANE!
Someone posted a size chart that illustrated this quite nicely a few months back. I didn't realize this was the case and was really bummed when I lost over 30 pounds before I could finally go down a size. Now I find it's more like 15 pounds between sizes. I thought there was something weirdly wrong with my body before that sizing chart was posted.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I lost about 25 pounds before going from a 14 to a 12, and another 28 before going from a 12 to a 10, so don't feel bad!
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #11  
hand to mouth disease?

Windchime: It would really help me if I could see that chart.

I am feeling like I am going through sizes at lighting speeds...I also have a LEI pair of 20s...a pair of stretch Levis in 18 (that are loose on me, I know they must look silly but I don't care, I'm wearing with a belt).

The most comfortable/useful pants right now are the ones that are meant to be stretch pants...if I can shove myself into them at the fullness of their stretchiness, at least they have a range of 15 pounds or so where I can wear them. As opposed to dress pants, where they only look good for 7 pounds and then they're goofy pants.

I may resort to wearing skirts in the spring, and then sundresses. Maybe I can get to goal in the summer!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I have noticed that if I take my measurements and try to correspond to the size charts it doesn't work. Each brand is cut differently....

my waist is 42 and my hips are 50.... according to the size charts, this should put me in a 24 or something, but I really wear an 18W.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #13  
hand to mouth disease?

Yes, I should have been more clear. I can find pants that fit in the store. I cannot, however, figure out what to ORDER online. I live out in the country and shopping in stores is an all-day adventure - I would rather order online, try them on at my convenience (and honestly, keep the tags on until I'm ready to wear them because I've blown past one pair of pants already).

I'll probably just do some shopping at consignment stores, thrift stores...that makes it even more difficult because it's not just one store...
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #14  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

The measurements usually don't make sense because of where your "natural waist" is. I've noticed that many sizing charts tell you to measure at your "natural waist." I'm very high waisted with a long torso, so if I measure there (haven't done it in a while, but from last measurements) I had a 35 inch waist. But, if I measure where the jeans will actually sit (usually an inch or two below my navel) I was at 40 or 42 inches, which made a whole lot more sense for the sizing charts.

About.com has a good size chart.
http://fashion.about.com/od/stylebas...issesSizes.htm
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #15  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

It sounds like you're losing more on bottom than on top so you're having issues with pants! It will slow down eventually, when you start losing on top. Try to find jeans that have a lot of stretch to them, that way they'll conform to your body.

If you want to treat yourself, have some custom jeans made. I know www.indidenim.com does them, but theyre not cheap!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote