Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #1  
Graceful Loser

Angry Stress

So, I think I'm getting fired.

Honestly, I can't go into specific details, but my job isn't as secure as I'd like right now. I've been very stressed out and with that, comes sugar and carb cravings that are driving me up the wall. I started a blog to help - I figured working on it would give me something to focus on besides crappy food.. but I really am struggling.

Any advice for bad stress cravings?
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #2  
Workin' It

hot tea and kickboxing work well for me, but I know that wouldn't work for everyone.

Sorry you are having a hard time right now.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I am also sorry to hear about your stress and job situation. While not the same at all, I am feeling a great deal of stress due to a family member and the chaos she is bringing into the family. Ugggh!

I am trying to remind myself of all that I have accomplished. I will not let someone else derail me or rob me of future success. I know, alot easier said than done, but this positivie self talk does help me. I also keep up my protein intake and this does wonders for my sweet/carb cravings.

I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to press forward. You've lost 19# and that is amazing! You've done well and you can continue to do well! Please don't give up on yourself!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Stress raises cortisol which is responsible for lots of problems, including cravings.

Apparently vitamin C is good for negating cortisol after stressful events. You should probably do a little google research, but maybe you could consider taking a lose dose supplement a few times a day?
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I know how you feel....when I'm stressed about things (especially things I can't control), I start to get those monster cravings for sugar and starch. What works well for me (not always though) is to start the morning with protein. Working out helps to take the edge off too. I chew gum and chew on celery sticks, which give me that crunch that I crave too. If I really want something, I try to have frozen grapes on hand...they are super sweet and take a long time to eat. If you can, take a bubble bath to destress and try to get as much sleep as you can (more than 7 hours if possible), since sleep deprivation also raises those stress hormones. Finally, keep a food log so you are accountable. It's a lot harder to over eat when you commit to writing everything down that goes into your mouth. Oh, and make yourself take control of the situation. Start looking for other jobs so that you feel some control. Sometimes, when one door closes, a better door can open up.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote