Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 5"

Default Weight Loss and ADD

I was recently diagnosed ADD and am curious if anyone has experience with this.

I have read that the disorder affects weight loss efforts since it's hard to stick to a diet.

Has anyone been through this? Maybe have some tips to help me?

Thanks!
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/205/165

Height: 6'

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Weight and food have been constant issues for me since childhood, and for years I wasn't able to understand how I could know that certain foods - or more often, certain QUANTITIES - were unhealthy without physically avoiding consuming them.

It wasn't until 2 years ago that anyone linked my weight to my ADD, or that I noticed I only ever eat when bored/distracted/not engaged somehow. Medication has made a world of difference in my day-to-day life, not only because it helps tether my brain, but it also helps me stay focused and notice those times when I'm getting distracted and usually reach for food.
each2each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I've got adult ADD and I can't stay on a "diet" past the moment after I decide to go on a diet. I get angry and frustrated having to count calories, carbs, fiber, etc. That sort of accounting leads me to being obsessed with food. I've had to stop that behavior altogether so I could find a natural balance on my own.

In order to do this, I'm having to get more in touch with how my body is feeling at the moment. This is difficult, since I tend to react almost without thinking, but with practice, I'm getting better and better at it. I prefer a more holistic approach to eating, check in for real hunger, make sure it's not thirst, have foods available that I can assemble quickly for a balanced meal, make sure not to serve portions that are too large, eat slowly, and experience satiety. It's hard, but I'm having much more success with this.

I do find that I've had to create an environment of health to help me manage my eating impulses. I never carry cash so I don't find myself popping in for fast food on an impulse. I make sure to have health ingredients available at home that are easy and quick to prepare. Sometimes I have to prepare some foods well ahead of time, take some time to cook up some entrees that require more time. There are no sugary snacks in my house, no unhealthy fatty snacks. I know that I will impulsively eat something, so I try to make good choices available to me.

I didn't really grow up on sodas, fried foods, chips and candy. I prefer a small bowl of steel cut oats, salted and dressed with a little olive oil. I like raw nuts. I'd rather have a bowl of dandelion greens or roasted beets than a bowl of ice cream. I like lentil soup for breakfast. But one can get fat eating really healthy food when one eats impulsively and too much.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote