Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

Default Replacing one addiction with another? Maybe?

So, here's the thing. Since I started my little weight loss journey, I've gone from not exercising EVER unless at gunpoint to literally going to the gym every day. Every day. 7 days a week. Always. I normally wouldn't consider this unhealthy, until I start to take into account how much I panic when I don't go. I skipped tonight, because I had a really bad headache and couldn't see straight. But when I got home, I felt so guilty for skipping a day that I starting crying - and felt horrible about myself.

The logical part of me stopped and thought...whoa, angie, you've got more issues than People Magazine.

Am I setting myself up just to be unhealthily addicted to something in the place of food? Or is this normal?

Last edited by angee phalangee; 11-02-2009 at 09:58 PM.
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I think maybe your reaction was a bit of a warning sign...theres nothing wrong with feeling bad about not going to the gym, but crying and feeling horrible probably shouldnt happen i get panicky sometimes too, I think sometimes we get so into it that we really need to take a step back every now and again
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

personally, I think it might be due more to the headache than anything else. I know if I have a migraine, I'm set off at the drop of a hat. I had one after a sorority ceremony and couldn't go out with the girls...and it made me cry. I felt so guilty because all I could focus on was the headache.

But if you normally get super upset for skipping the gym for a real reason, then it might be something to consider. An addiction isn't healthy even if it IS good for you.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #4  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I started having this same reaction, which worried me bc I have a history with ed-nos. For me, in the end, I was able to make myself concentrate on how resting and living my life were just as important parts of taking good care of myself as exercising, and that helped keep me away from that panicky place where missing a day would make me freak out. Also being confident enough in my routine to know that missing one day was not going to ruin my commitment entirely, and that I'd be back in the gym the next day.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #5  
calorie counting works!

S/C/G: 171/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm not qualified to say whether it's a real problem or not, but you could try scheduling your rest day(s) a week ahead of time. On Sunday, look at your calendar and say, "OK, I'm going to the gym on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but Wednesday and Sunday are my planned rest days." Then on Wednesday, when you start getting antsy, you can say, "It's OK; I planned to take today off." That might lessen the guilt.
reji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #6  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Red face

I feel guilty too when I miss the gym which is why I go at least once a day.
I try not to focus on whether or not this is addicting behavior because I regulate my diet also and make sure I know when I'm tired and I leave the gym.

Unless you're a exercise-aholic who feels guilty then spends hours in the gym burning off your guilt... I don't think it's a big deal

I cry too sometimes out of frustration but I dont consider it a bad thing. It's just disappointment in me not sticking to my plan and being focused.

But you're the only one who knows what works for you. Stay strong!
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I've felt ridiculously guilty about not going to the gym the past 3 weeks - and I get panicky as well, but I have a panic disorder, and I use exercise to control it, so it may be circular logic.

You just have to tell yourself that not exercising for one day is not going to hurt you, your body needs to rest, and its healthy. I think for a lot of us, once we get in the MUST EXERCISE mentality, if we slip up we get scared, but one day isn't going to hurt you. Just think, one day at a time You didn't exercise yesterday, okay, fine, you'll exercise today

I also agree - scheduling rest days ahead of time might help you.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reji View Post
I'm not qualified to say whether it's a real problem or not, but you could try scheduling your rest day(s) a week ahead of time. On Sunday, look at your calendar and say, "OK, I'm going to the gym on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but Wednesday and Sunday are my planned rest days." Then on Wednesday, when you start getting antsy, you can say, "It's OK; I planned to take today off." That might lessen the guilt.
I think this is a really good idea and has worked for me. I think exercising regularly and reaping the benefits of it could be an "addiction" in the lightest sense of the word (if there is such a thing). Becoming an exercise addict is wandering into the territory of exercise bullemia and none of us can determine that that's what that is.

For me, I would get antsy when I couldn't work out on a particular day, like if it was planned and I had to miss it because of some other event. I think that was just me adjusting to my new "normal". Going from someone who never exercised and ate completely differently to someone who planned all her meals and exercised most days... well, that takes some mental adjustment, you know?
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote