Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #1  
SMM

S/C/G: 222/219/130

Height: 5' 4"

Default Do you buy the nitrate free bacon?

Eggs and bacon are one of the best parts of Atkins for me. l am wondering if anyone worries about the additives/nitrates, and buys the more expensive nitrate free bacon?

Thank you
SMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I've been on Atkins for close to 6 years now...I've never bought or eaten nitrate free bacon. I've never had any issue's.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #3  
SMM

S/C/G: 222/219/130

Height: 5' 4"

Thank you, JerseyGryl. I bought the regular also. I just read it in the book and wondered. You are right about the book. There is a lot of info tucked in there.
SMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 AM   #4  

I have a really hard time finding nitrate free bacon. And when I do it is way to expensive.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/270/154

Height: 5' 9"

I started out only purchasing nitrate free bacon until one day DH did the shopping and bought some cheap bacon home which had the relevant e.numbers on the ingredients list to show that nitrate was present. (e.249 -e.252) I ate it and showed no difference in my weight loss that week in comparisson to the week before. Since then I've bought whatever bacon has been on special and haven't suffered any ill effects.

Nicki
Nicki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

For me it depends on how much bacon I'm eating. I don't eat huge amounts for someone eating low carb, but I eat a LOT more than I used to before, and so I do try to find organic & or nitrate free when I can. I have a general preference for all things organic and natural (free of chemical preservatives) but I'm not a nut about it. I eat out at restaurants without a fuss, and although my first pass for shopping is a natural foods store, the second pass is a regular grocery store where I fill in what I couldn't find organic (and some other tasty stuff besides).

I think the risk with the nitrates is not immediate stalled weight loss, but rather a long term risk of cancer. For me that means as an occaisional thing, ok, but if I was eating bacon every week for a long time (like maintenance) I'd buy the nitrate free. I tend to eat it about once a month, and I buy organic nitrate free more often than not... For the same reasons, I avoid processed lunchmeats, which also usually have nitrates as preservatives...
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote