General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #1  
Just keeping on truckin'

S/C/G: 265/240/114

Height: 5'2

Default Need advice choosing a grad school!

Hi everyone!

It's that time when I am finally starting to look at graduate schools! I have had my heart set on King's College in London, but the more I hear about it (I have a friend there) the less I think I would be happy there. I am a shy but very friendly and extroverted person, and I like to make friends and be in a friendly environment. From what I have heard, King's College is competitive and they aren't always that friendly to Canadians

So now I am not sure where to go... but I am thinking maybe I would be happier in the US, because culturally, the US tends to be more friendly and outgoing (no offense to you brits, my mother is British!). My field is Biblical Studies, and I am planning on coming back here after my master's and settling into ministry (which I could do right away, but I want a bit of an adventure first!).

I am open to all suggestions, except I don't want to go to anywhere that is going to cost me a fortune (ie a public school would be nice!). I should have my expenses covered mostly by FAFSA (I am a US citizen in Canada right now so I am already on the US fin aid plan). I want to go somewhere people are friendly and outgoing, but also a school that is fairly well seen for its academics...

Hmmm... Anyone have any ideas? I don't know if I want to go to a "bible school" per se unless it is known for its academics as well. I am coming from a prestigious undergrad school, so I would like to be able to go to a fairly academic graduate school as well! My grades are good as well, about an A- average (3.7).

Thoughts?

Oh, and warm weather/ocean is a bonus!!!
PinkFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

I'm totally in the same boat - picking a grad school is hard!

Have you looked into Australia? I know they have some exceptional universities there, it has warm weather and oceans, and the Aussies are notoriously friendly...

I have a friend who studied religion at the University of Queensland in Brisbane. That might be a place to look!

Enjoy the search! I'm in grad school in South Africa right now, and it's a pretty crazy adventure!
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 262.5/249/135

Height: 5'4

I highly recommend Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.

http://www.indiana.edu/~relstud/index.shtml

I don't know much about their Religious Studies dept, except that the assistant minister at my church is in their doctoral program, and she is AWESOME!

But IU is nationally known for their business school, music school, and linguistics/language programs for sure. But I'll warn you, I came here for grad school back in 2002 and fell in love with this town! Now I work for IU, am raising a family here (married a Hoosier), and am actively recruiting my parents to move here too!
amkenkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you are interested in ministry how about Fuller Theological in Pasadena, Ca ? Or Wheaton College in Illinois, a religious liberal arts college. I do not know much about them other than they are highly respected schools. I have known ministers that have gone to them,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #5  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I'm hardly an expert on graduate theological schools but if you have any interest at all in doing your adventuring in other parts of Canada rather than outside of the country, I've heard good things about Regent College in Vancouver. I have an acquaintance who's out there now and she seems to be loving it, and she might also describe herself as shy but extroverted.

http://www.regent-college.edu/prospe...ion/index.html
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #6  
Workin' It

I have family currently attending Fuller in California & a good friend on the staff at King's College, so I'm a little biased for both. I will say that my family in California are both very happy there. I also have friends who went to Union Theological Seminary & Presbyterian School of Christian Education in Richmond, VA. They were both very happy there, and the campus is beautiful.

Find a place that makes you happy.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you talked to your professors about possible school recommendations? Often someone in the field will have an opinion although it could be biased It may help you start your search a bit.

I personally love Maryland as a place to live but it isn't exactly warm.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlamingo View Post

Oh, and warm weather/ocean is a bonus!!!
Not sure if it fits into what you are looking for as far as religious studies... but...it is a Christian University AND it is warm here AND it is right on the Pacific ocean....

my daughter graduated from there and another "well-known" 3FC'er too ...not me

Point Loma Nazarene ...here is the link ~

http://www.pointloma.edu/home.htm

Last edited by EZMONEY; 10-23-2009 at 05:30 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #9  
Ceci n'est pas une fille.

S/C/G: 175/130/115

Height: 5'4

These are all possibilities I have been looking at for my own grad school search. I have narrowed my list to those with religion programs to share with you! Theyre all in the SE United States, so all are mild climates with friendly people ;]

Regent University school of Divinity in Virginia Beach, VA
Lee University school of religion in Cleveland, TN
Gardner-Webb University school of divinity in Boiling Springs, NC
Mercer University school of theology in Atlanta, GA
Bob Jones University school of Religion in Greenville, SC

I hope those help! I am kind of a private school junkie, so I dont know what state schools really offer a masters in theological studies.
Ma Petite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

I also know someone who attends the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. She loves it.

Not warm though. Good football and hockey team? Cheesesteak? Those are better than the beach!
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote