Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #1  
Chrissy

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5"6

Question Treadmill Advice? / Help?

So as part of the *new* me I'm trying my best to get fit and in shape and healthy.. more than just 'be skinny' I invested in a treadmill and I'm trying my best to use it. My question is this.... how do you do it? I can walk at 3.5 for about 30 minutes and sometimes I run for a minute at 5 or 6 but after a minutes I am drained and exhausted. I see that people are running for a half an hour...how did you work yourself up to that? What is a good speed/incline to give me a jump start on my weight loss?

Thanks everyone!!
ChristineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #2  
WAF Blue Team

S/C/G: 198/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Christine...with the running, I can't recommend doing the Couch to 5K programme enough. If you google it there is lots of information out there. I would start out with maybe lowering your running speed at the beginning as overdoing it at the start is what puts so many people off running. It should not to hard and you should still be able to talk. The trick is to increase the lenght of time as you get fitter and the increase in speed will come with that. Or work towards being able to run for a lenght of time and then start improving the speed for that set time after that.

For example I am been work up from running 4.5 mile to 6, which I can do as a distance but not in the time I want. So now that I can do the distance I am focusing on reducing the time it takes me to do this from 6 miles in an hour to 6 miles in 45 minutes.

Good luck and remember take your time.
irishkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #3  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

The short answer is that you basically do work your way up to it. Walking and running intervals like you're doing are a good start. Slowly, you push yourself to run a little bit longer each time you run. It's absolutely doable with time and patience.

You could check out the Couch to 5K program (C25k). It's all about slowly turning yourself into a runner and it can be done both outside and on a treadmill. If you visit the 3FC exercise section, there are threads about both the program and running in general.

Good luck and welcome to the world of running.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #4  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Third the C25K program - I finished it this week and can't believe that in just a few months I've gone from not being able to run at all to jogging 5K comfortably.

That and slow way down until you find a pace you can stick with. A lot of people I know think that running has to be 6 mph or more, but it really does take time to work up to that. Keep working at it and slowly increasing your speed/time and you'll get there eventually
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #5  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I agree...the C25K program rocks!

You just have to build up slowly. I was like you but now run about 5 miles a day in the morning and I'm trying to build it up to 6-7 so I can do the Crescent City Classic in New Orleans (a 10k) in April.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #6  
Workin' It

I am still a seriously slow runner and I've been at it since January - I did 5.5 miles the last time out and averaged 16 mins per mile. Some were faster, some were slower, but that was my average. I've been known to do a 10 minute mile, but I can't maintain that over long distance. I'm not too worried about it, I've been increasing the distance and not fighting on the speed as much. I ran 5 miles without a walk break this last time and was proud of that. Though, I have increased my average from 18 mins to 16 mins! I walk to warm up and cool down, so that doesn't help the total time...

I didn't use the official C25K program, kind of made my own, but have heard great things about it. Just start slow, don't overdo too fast, and do what you enjoy!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

You are doing WAY better then what i did when i first started off . my advice to you .. give it time and don't RUSH .
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #8  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I just started C2K and while it totally kicked my butt on the first day (hooray for being out of shape) I was able to complete it. It starts you off where you have a 5 min warm up and cool down... then for 20 minutes you alternate jogging for 60 seconds and walking for a 1:30. Just to give you an idea.

You may seriously want to look into a program like this.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #9  
Chrissy

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5"6

Thanks EVERYONE! I think I will look into the C25K program. I really would love to be one of the girls who just runs everywhere! Plus... now that it's winter and I'm inside alot I won't be doing alot of other cardio.. (I had to give up my gym membership) I will check it out tonight and let everyone know!

:-)

P.S.. Congrats everyone on all your running success

Feral- I have a feeling it's going to kick my butt too!
ChristineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #10  
Started 9/20/09

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, CT5K as the free podcast or iphone app are great!
mara11jade is offline   Reply With Quote