Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #1  

Smile Fabulous idea if you have calorie counting friends!

Earlier this afternoon I went to a baby shower for a friend of mine. Her best friend and a few ladies in her family put it on for her. The ladies knew that several of the girls there ( like myself ) are counting calories ... so they did a really GREAT idea at the buffet table. Infront of each dish on the table was little card with the amt of calories per serving of each dish! How thoughtful was that?? They did all the food themselves and for the more complex dishes like the carrot cake, they made a low cal carrot cake ... which was around 325 calories for a slice of it ( with the cream cheese frosting ). One of my friends and I split a piece because there was SO much food there that we didnt want to waste 300 full calories on a piece of cake ( although thats pretty good considering most carrot cakes with cream cheese frosting are up in the 500-700 calorie range! ) They told us after the shower that they were concerned that doing that might embarrass those of us counting calories but many of the ladies that arent really watching their calories even told them that it was a great idea when youre getting a bunch of ladies together and having food.

I was able to have a really nice plate of food ... within my calories ... and not have to have anxiety over trying to figure out what to eat.

Last edited by Smilette31; 10-18-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/285/150

Height: 5'9"

That is a cool idea! I wish that was standard operating procedure at all parties! Thanks for sharing!!
shellsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

How thoughtful!! I like it
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Wow, that was really nice! They really went out of their way to help the calorie counters. Let's hope it catches on!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Nice idea! It's great as long as healthy foods are being served. Otherwise the calories and fat totals would be SHOCKING to most! I still can't believe the fat and calories in some of my favorite dishes that I used to eat.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellost View Post
Nice idea! It's great as long as healthy foods are being served. Otherwise the calories and fat totals would be SHOCKING to most! I still can't believe the fat and calories in some of my favorite dishes that I used to eat.

I was amazed at the selection of food they had. Sure there were a few not so healthy dishes which I stayed away from even though I had the calories to spare BUT I knew they were high in sodium which I try to steer clear of. My favorite thing, aside from the low cal carrot cake, was the protein. Most times you'll see sloppy joes, finger sandwiches, meat and cheese trays or whatever for the protein ... but instead of all of that ... the girls made up chicken pieces on skewers and grilled them ... on the each skewer was 3 ounces of chicken cut up ... ( they had that as the portion size with the calories on the card ) and then they had little cups of different dipping sauces (with a calorie card ) sitting around next to it so you could pick up one of them if you wanted something on your chicken other than just plain grilled. They really took the extra time out to make one of the hardest parts of any gathering, the food part, simple for those of us on diets.

Last edited by Smilette31; 10-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote