Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #1  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Question Types of tortillas...

So okay, maybe this is the half Mexican in me coming out, but I seriously am wondering about tortillas.

A lot of people on here have mentioned whole wheat tortillas but when I look at the calories in one WW tortilla, its WAY more than a traditional flour tortilla (though I'm sure it's better for you). And I've tried a low carb, low calorie one and to be honest it left a nasty taste in my mouth. What about corn tortillas? They're lower, calorie wise, than WW tortillas... but health wise is there something wrong with them? I definitely would prefer to have a corn tortilla over a WW tortilla, or even a regular flour tortilla! Anyone know or have thoughts on this?
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186.8/184/135

Height: 5'6"

Hi there! I also love tortillas. I believe that corn tortillas are considered a whole grain and are encouraged on my current eating plan and in lots of other diet plans I've tried, so there is definitely no problem eating those! I also eat the ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas. But I love, love, love corn tortillas and use them regularly. Enjoy!
SuperVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #3  
No description available.

I eat corn tortillas. I eat flour tortillas. I just don't eat a ton of either and I watch the calories/carbs.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

La Tortilla brand tortillas are 50 calories each--there are several varieties--some are whole wheat.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I'm mexican as well and let me tell you, I love flour tortillas but the calories are insane so they are a rarity. Corn tortillas aren't bad at about 50 calories each. I also found some whole wheat tortillas at Trader Joe's that are really really good and soft. They are 50 calories each.

I had tried the La Tortilla ones and didn't really care for them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #6  
it's always something

Tortilla calorie counts can be so confusing because there are so many varieties and sizes. I checked the Mission tortilla site and found a whole wheat and a white that were the same size, and the calorie count was the same.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #7  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Nelie - So you kinda feel me when it comes to tortillas... growing up with good ones and then trying some of these FUNKY tasting healthy ones... *shakes head*... I just can't eat them! I'm glad someone above said corn is okay for you!!!

Suzanne - I agree! They are confusing!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #8  
Workin' It

I eat a lot of corn tortillas, I get the fresh ones from Trader Joes, 50 cals apiece. I tried making my own, but failed. I'm going to try again soon. I almost never eat flour tortillas anymore.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I've become kinda obsessed with corn tortillas! LOL. I make lean meat tacos and fill them with it, I made homemade light enchiladas with them, and I request them at Mexican restaurants when I order chicken fajitas. I actually like the taste a lot, and they are so much better than the flour in terms of calories.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 400/400/180

Height: 5'5"

Girl... you have to TRY Mission Tortillas Low Carb Whole Wheat. They are super soft and have no bad aftertaste!!! Bon Apetite!
Bridezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:58 AM   #11  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I find the low-fat, low-carb (and I'm not really a low-carb eater, so I don't care about that part) flour tortillas pretty revolting, and not worth the calories, and my husband doesn't like corn tortillas at all, so I tend to use wholemeal chapatis, which we love, instead. They're pretty easy to make, if I've got time, but if not, I just buy them ready-made.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #12  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

My hubby is Mexican...and just think in the OLD DAYS they used to make tortillas with LARD! My mil makes the best homemade tortillas - I am glad she doesn't use lard anymore. I'll have to do a recipe analysis and figure out how many calories there are in one. Yummy...fresh homemade hot tortillas.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #13  
Weigh Down Yonder

The ones I like are Mama Lupe's - low calorie and low carb - great for breakfast burritos, hot dogs (turkey) with mustard and Claussen saerkraut, quesadillas with cheese & jalepenos - I just used them last week for sandwiches with leftover turkey. I just lay them in the toaster oven for a few minutes and they're great. It makes me feel like I'm cheating - I never used any "bread" products when I was on Low carb before!
I buy them online from Netrition - they have the best price and a flat shipping charge so I can load up on lots of all my low carb favorites.

Last edited by leeway; 12-13-2009 at 11:54 PM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #14  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

leeway do you freeze the packages? I'll have to check that out...thank you!

This is an edit post...after I went to the Netrition site...wow...I'll have to try those. My 1st thought is that you would buy like 6 packages or more...that is just because that is why my dh family does when people come from Chicago. They buy a bunch and then freeze the packages.

Last edited by cathydoe; 12-14-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: see above
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
My hubby is Mexican...and just think in the OLD DAYS they used to make tortillas with LARD! My mil makes the best homemade tortillas - I am glad she doesn't use lard anymore. I'll have to do a recipe analysis and figure out how many calories there are in one. Yummy...fresh homemade hot tortillas.
Depending on the size, they are probably around 200 calories/each.

And I don't know how long ago you define old days, but if you go to Mexico, you will find tortillas made with lard and I've seen some in the latino markets around here as well. My grandma used lard up until about 15 years ago.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote