Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #1  

Default I miss my cheese! Help!

I am so thrilled that I found this forum. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I first started MF. With all the years of doing Atkins and weight watchers, I can't believe I never tried this diet. So far so good and tomorrow I will see how I did. I am not clear on somethings. Can I have cheese? Could I use 1 ounce of full fat cheese and count it as my condiment since its only 1 carb? Also the salad dressing thing is confusing, does it have to be low fat & low carb? For example tonight I am having 7 oz of steamed shrimp on 3 cups of salad and I am having 3 tbsp of Kens low (but regular fat) carb caesar's dressing (as my fat). Am I doing this right? TIA
Elbrijam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #2  

Forgot one more thing, I would like to use breath spray does that count as a condiment? I can't stand this bad breath and I am trying to avoid chewing gum in order to save my condiments. Thanks Again!
Elbrijam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbrijam View Post
I am so thrilled that I found this forum. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I first started MF. With all the years of doing Atkins and weight watchers, I can't believe I never tried this diet. So far so good and tomorrow I will see how I did. I am not clear on somethings. Can I have cheese? Could I use 1 ounce of full fat cheese and count it as my condiment since its only 1 carb? Also the salad dressing thing is confusing, does it have to be low fat & low carb? For example tonight I am having 7 oz of steamed shrimp on 3 cups of salad and I am having 3 tbsp of Kens low (but regular fat) carb caesar's dressing (as my fat). Am I doing this right? TIA
Elbrijam, I am a calorie counter so I can not answer your question for you but I saw " I miss my cheese " and whenever I hear someone say that I suggest they check out the soy section of their grocery store for veggie shreds made by galaxy foods. They also have vegan shreds, rice, organic and a few other types too ... depending on what you are looking for. I personally use the veggie shreds and slices and I adore them. They have all different flavors and are delicious. They are low in calories for me which is why I use them but I also know that there are 0 carbs. I'm not quite sure how your diet plan works ... but if you may want to check those out if you're allowed to have them on your plan. Good luck!
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #4  

Default I miss cheese too!

I am on day 13 and asked my coach last week; she said that you can't have cheese. It has too much fat! I keep thinking it is like Atkins too; but she said no. I think the food is pretty boring but I can really see the results; more in clothes than the scale.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #5  

Molly McButter has cheese powder, too, and I use it in soup and on vegetables. You can use laughing cow wedges and melt them in veggies or on top of meat and chicken to make a little sauce. It tastes good.
sidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #6  
Trying to keep it real

S/C/G: 204/199/170

Height: 5'7"

Smile You can have cheese!

Go to the TSFL.com website then Support Center -->Tools and Resources--> Meal Plans, then Meatless Options:

http://tsfl.com/pdfs/resources/Meatless_Options.pdf

There you will find the dietary lean options for vegetarians, which has some cheese options. We add cheese all the time!
Jehna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/195/185

Height: 5' 11"

Stick to Parmesan cheese - it's the only one you can have daily.
The other post that had the link is accurate, but that is if you're not going to eat meat.

Check the condiments list too, you'll see 1 tbs of f/f cream cheese is listed.

It's tough to do without cheese for a while, but the truth is the rewards are well worth it.

Here's a recipe for cheesy scrambled eggs my wife & I enjoy regularly.

2 packets of MF scrambled eggs
8 oz of cold water
Worcestershire sauce to taste (1/2-1tsp or so)
Mrs Dash to taste

Melt 1 tsp of Smart Balance margarine (I prefer the one with olive oil) in a non-stick pan.
Melt 1-2 tbs of parmesan cheese in bottom of skillet once margarine has melted.
Pour in scrambled eggs.
Use stiff spatula to scrape melted cheese from bottom of pan & let the scrambled eggs continue to cook.
If it's just for one, cut everything in half.
Remember, NEVER microwave MF scrambled eggs! YUK!!

The breath is something you'll have to work on.
I've used Altoid mini's with great success - still losing 3-5 pounds a week.

Keep Looking Up!

Joe
alienjoe211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #8  

I use Molly McCheese, too. It's good in soup and on eggs.

I also use LC cheese melted on top of steak or chicken. Then, if I make beans I use the onion LC one melted in the pan to make sauce for the beans. Pretty good!
sidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #9  
Trying to keep it real

S/C/G: 204/199/170

Height: 5'7"

Default Mixing and Matching Lean Portions

Okay this is my opinion and I represent no one but myself, but here is my perspective:

I mix and match things (Meat, cheese, tofu, gardenburgers, etc.) all the time and continue to lose weight. For me it all comes down to math. I figure if it can be done with MF meals to bake, it can be done with L & G. I take the serving amount of whatever it is and divide them into portions. For example:

If

(7 ounces of shrimp + 2 healthy fat servings) = 1 Lean

and

(12 ounces of 2% cottage cheese + 1 healthy fat serving) = 1 Lean

then

[(3.5 ounces of shrimp + 1 healthy fat serving) + (6 ounces of 2% cottage cheese + 1/2 healthy fat serving)] = 1 Lean

Sprinkle with dill, put on top of "Green approved" salad and you have
1 Lean and Green.
Jehna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #10  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

There are some great substitutes for regularly fatty cheese, including a cheese made from rice grain, and recipes for "cheese" you can make at home yourself. I don't do dairy at all anymore. I've had on/off battles with the cheese, but I know I'm winning.

Here's an image I made in photoshop that helps me. I have it taped to my debit card so whenever I see that cheese pizza at the store I think "Nah, Be nice. Save it for the mice." Or "You will not miss that nasty swiss". I use rhymes to amuse and distract myself.

Last edited by UrthWurm; 11-15-2009 at 02:42 PM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #11  

OK-- I'm gettting ready to get back onto Medifast. But I lost 20 lbs in a month back in May/June, then I went on vacay, and haven't gotten on track since (Yes, since July -heavy sigh). But, I ate cheese on MF. My favorite lean and green was taco salads. Tons of greens, tomatoes, onions, lean ground beef or turkey, a little cheese, l/f sour cream and avocado. It didn't effect my WL. I think a little will be fine. enjoy!

I wouldn't worry about the breath spray either, 1-2 squirts should be fine.
I also used a little 2% milk in my coffee. FYI
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #12  
Medifast user

S/C/G: 178/174/132

Height: 5' 6"

Default Yes to cheese

Hi there--I'm a vegetarian, so do have cheese fairly often for my lean and green. The trick is that the fat does need to be low:

So, if it has 1-1.5 g fat per oz, you get 6 oz
If it has 3-6 g fat per oz, you get 4 oz.

I found some great 75% fat free cheddar, Laughing Cow light cheese, or low-fat string cheese that falls in these categories.

It's a nice little meal with the medifast crackers, and I have that a few times a week--veggie burgers the rest!

This site won't let me post links yet, I got my info from the TSFL page, under meatless options.
GrettaSwathmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #13  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Ok, so I'm thinking of doing Medifast. I went to the site and looked around. It looks like the only food that you consume on this program is shakes, soup, scrambled eggs, and bars. Am I wrong? Thanks for any info you can give me!
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 223.8/TIcker/125

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan33 View Post
Ok, so I'm thinking of doing Medifast. I went to the site and looked around. It looks like the only food that you consume on this program is shakes, soup, scrambled eggs, and bars. Am I wrong? Thanks for any info you can give me!
Well, there are 5 meal replacements from Medifast that you eat every day - the shakes, soup, bars, etc. In addition, you eat one "Lean and Green" meal that you prepare yourself - three servings of vegetables and about 5 - 7 oz (cooked) of lean meat/protein. Depending on the type of protein, you might need 1 or 2 additional servings of healthy fats.
Margalo is offline   Reply With Quote